What is the deal???

Corn Fed

Pensgirl,

Before we went to Progreso and Cozumel I took HDawson's advice and went online and bought a TelMex calling card. It worked great and as he says, TelMex has payphones everywhere. It is very easy to use. Here is a picture of my son using the card:

P1010045.jpg.6200771a4d8210586ea28be137e3ffa5.jpg

Dont come home without one of their home made hammock chairs. We bought one for about 10 or $12 and wish we would have gotten another. My wife and i fight over it all summer long. It is sooooo comfortable we I fell asleep in it 10 min after I hung it in the tree. I looked on the internet to try to find another when we got home and they are $70. Be sure to go shop at some of the streets a few blocks from the market where they drop you off. Also take a look at the chicken market across the street from the market where they drop you off. Be sure to hold your nose but it is an experience you will not forget. We had already eaten awsome chicken nachos before we saw this or we might not have eaten the chicken. It was great anyway. The fresh eggs they were selling on the hot street corner was pretty cool as well. We loved the laid back friendly atmosphere there and would go back in a heartbeat.

I am so glad that I have been reading these boards. I was not very excited about Progreso but now after reading these threads I am very excited about just going to the beach and walking around the market!

By the way! I am planning on calling my daughter once we get to port! (She's 4 and I've never been away from her for that long) Anyways, should we just go to a shop and buy an international calling card and use a pay phone? We are taking my Nextel but from what I understand it won't work!

Thanks!:D

I have a condo on the beach a few minutes down from Progreso and friends of ours that stayed there were able to use the walkie talkie part of their Nextel service with no problems. I don't know if they used the cell phone part or not, but when I'm down there, I'm able to used my Cingular cell phone with no problems. You need to dial 001-area code-number. If you try and and dial without the 001, you will just get a message in Spanish that you aren't likely to understand:)

By the way...for anyone who wants to know, Progreso is great!!!!!

Pensgrl. Go to www.telmexusa.com and buy a phone card online and print it out. Telmex is the national phone company of Mexico. Online it's 50 cents per minute. Make sure you use the Telmex payphones which are everywhere.

When you dial the access number instructions are in english. They're great. Have used them several times. Very economical.

I forgot to order my phone card and we leave in a couple of days. Would we be able to by a card at a shop when we get there?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

We just shopped at the downtown market, then walked over to the beach for a while. If you see anything that you really like at the outside market, buy it. The same thing will be more expensive in Cozumel and Belize. I saw a cute little pirate coconut that I thought about getting for my daughter. It was $2.00 in Progresso. In Cozumel it was $5.00. In Belize it was $10.00. Do all of your shopping in Progresso, and take tours at the other two ports.

• 2 weeks later...
Dont come home without one of their home made hammock chairs. We bought one for about 10 or $12 and wish we would have gotten another. My wife and i fight over it all summer long. It is sooooo comfortable we I fell asleep in it 10 min after I hung it in the tree. I looked on the internet to try to find another when we got home and they are $70. Be sure to go shop at some of the streets a few blocks from the market where they drop you off. Also take a look at the chicken market across the street from the market where they drop you off. Be sure to hold your nose but it is an experience you will not forget. We had already eaten awsome chicken nachos before we saw this or we might not have eaten the chicken. It was great anyway. The fresh eggs they were selling on the hot street corner was pretty cool as well. We loved the laid back friendly atmosphere there and would go back in a heartbeat.

Do you remember the name of the store where you bought the hammock? I'm interested in one. Also, if you'd like, I'd be willing to pick one up for you & ship it to you.

I wasn't excited about Progresso either from comments people have made. Now I'm getting more excited. I've never been interested in doing any of hte scenery tours in Cozumel due to wanting to dive or relax on the beach. Sounds like this may be the perfect place to take a scenery tour.

Hi Clackey. Uxmal is much, much larger. Did I mention larger?
Thanks H,

I hope that you don't mind the informalities, but we are on the boards so much that I feel that we should be on a first name basis. Just call me C.

if you would like to see a more true mexico this is the port,it hasn't been spoiled yet. yes it is a little dirty,but the people are lovely and the beach is beatiful. there is a reastaurant right on the beach( on the corner) that is very good and resonable. some people don't seem to want to know that the rest of the world doesn't live like us. the people are great there. don't worry if all else fail the beach is always a sfe bet. enjoy

I'm going to be there in October and was wondering if it is possible to see some ruins and still have time to do a little shopping in town after? I'm a big history buff and really want to see the ruins, but am afraid that they are all far enough away that we will have to head back to the ship as soon as we're done. I really don't want to have to rush as this is supposed to be a "taking it easy" sort of vacation.

I'm going to be there in October and was wondering if it is possible to see some ruins and still have time to do a little shopping in town after? I'm a big history buff and really want to see the ruins, but am afraid that they are all far enough away that we will have to head back to the ship as soon as we're done. I really don't want to have to rush as this is supposed to be a "taking it easy" sort of vacation.
Dzibalchaltun isn't very far and you will have time to shop in town or on the pier. You can book through the ship or through an independent when you get to port. Independent tours usually run 30%-40% cheaper.

Hdawson told me that Uxmal Ruins are larger than Dzib., but they are a longer drive.

H is the Guru of Progreso. ;) If you have more questions, he can answer them. (I hope that I have H's gender right.)

we have gone to this port once and seemed to enoy it. it is a rude awakening for some. my teenager learned to appreciate his country and lifestyle. the fish market leaves little to be desired. they were standing out fanning the fish that looked like it was there for a week-at least. lol

the people were friendly and we shopped for little things...t-shirts, etc. we walked around the town just to get aquainted. we will be leaving on the rhapsody 5/20.

it is the real mexico....no frills but interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame more ships don't go there, I personally loved this port. I have been there twice, we road the bus from the long pier and just walked around. The people are wonderful, I met a man on the beach from NY who moved there 3 years ago, we talked a while and he really loves living there. I was able to buy things so much cheaper there than the other ports. :) :) :) I wish the Conquest was going there.....

• 2 weeks later...

I speak very little spanish, am I going to have problems communicating? I understand I am in their country and it is their language. I don't want to get away rom the ship and have problems getting back due to language.:o Maybe a shortspanish lesson should be in my future.:eek:

Archived