Anyone NOT traveling with a passport?

mueller74us

No passports needed yet, so why bother? Just another example of the current administrations inability to grasp reality. Mexican truckers are free now to roam our highways in their trucks in order to save corporate overhead. Homeland security...what a joke!

Well with all the things that could happen in this day and age. Sorry I would not leave US shores with out the passport. Its only $97 for folks who just do a little planning. Just would hate to be one of you folks who miss the Ship in a port and have a really really hard time getting to the next port or even home.

We even carry our passport when we leave the boat. We have water wallets and even keep them on us while swimming and such

Europe cruise will be out for you... passports are taken at the beginning and returned at the end, you will not have them for stepping ashore.

I think that shocks people, but it is the policy.

Jennifer,

How did you confirm that you don't need a passport to depart from San Juan? I was under the impression that you could only sail from the US mainland without one.

Thanks!

Jeanie

The U.S. mainland as well as its territories which includes Puerto Rico.

I am not trying to deter people from obtaining a passport. Just a little piece of mind for those fearful of not receiving their passports in time or those are considering not purchasing a passport this year!

Here's the scoop:

You do not need a passport to cruise the Caribbean if you are leaving from an American port...even in the case of an emergency that might cause you to have to fly home from a foreign airport. I spoke to someone at Customs/Border Control and they said that if you were on foreign soil, experiencing an emergency, the cruise line would HAVE TO work with the American Embassy on that island to arrange for your return home!

Just thought I should put that out there...especially if you are like me! I know that I will not be able to travel again (after my June cruise) for a few years (so a passport can wait). DH and I were going to get expedited passports to ensure their timely arrival and the only thing keeping me from fully deciding against spending the almost $400 on them right now was concern over how I would return home if there were an emergency!

Well now I know...going with the birth certificate, marriage certificate and drivers license and pocketing the $$ for more fun on the ship!!

Don't take my word for it, call Customs at 1-202-354-1000!!

I am really getting fed up with all the winning about the passport requirements. This stuff is NOT new, it was not just sprung upon everyone at the last minute. These new requirements have been well publicized for over 2 years. The people who complain about the cost really get me, they pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and $97.00 for a passport that is good for ten years is not affordable. Just cut out stopping at Starbucks one day a week and you could have it paid for. Heck I'll bet I could find enough change in the chairs at work to pay for it. If you have a large family to obtain them for, get them one at a time over several months and then when you need to renew, they will not all come due at once. Stop blaming the government for your inability to plan in advance. Over a twenty year period a passport only costs $8.20 per year or<$.16 per week.

I spoke to someone at Customs/Border Control and they said that if you were on foreign soil, experiencing an emergency, the cruise line would HAVE TO work with the American Embassy on that island to arrange for your return home!

I'm not taking a side on this debate; however, I would like to point out that there is a flaw in the above scenario.

Let's say you had an emergency on an island like Grand Caymans. Do you know where the United States Embassy to the Grand Caymans is? London, England.

So, if you were relying on the above "Border Control Agent Endorsed Plan" you might be in for some long delays. I'm not saying that the US Consulate in the Cayman Islands (assuming there is one) wouldn't be able to help you but it seems risky given that your source of information is a Federal Policeman. (I'm not knocking the US Border Patrol either).

I am not trying to deter people from obtaining a passport. Just a little piece of mind for those fearful of not receiving their passports in time or those are considering not purchasing a passport this year!

Here's the scoop:

You do not need a passport to cruise the Caribbean if you are leaving from an American port...even in the case of an emergency that might cause you to have to fly home from a foreign airport. I spoke to someone at Customs/Border Control and they said that if you were on foreign soil, experiencing an emergency, the cruise line would HAVE TO work with the American Embassy on that island to arrange for your return home!

Just thought I should put that out there...especially if you are like me! I know that I will not be able to travel again (after my June cruise) for a few years (so a passport can wait). DH and I were going to get expedited passports to ensure their timely arrival and the only thing keeping me from fully deciding against spending the almost $400 on them right now was concern over how I would return home if there were an emergency!

Well now I know...going with the birth certificate, marriage certificate and drivers license and pocketing the $$ for more fun on the ship!!

Don't take my word for it, call Customs at 1-202-354-1000!!

Sorry that is not the scoop, many islands have no such resources on the islands, per the web site, you must call the State Dept in the USA, they will make arrangements, here is the critical info - whether you have a passport or not:

OVERSEAS CITIZENS SERVICES: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202 501-4444) for answers related to questions concerning the:

• Death of an American citizen abroad
  • Arrest/detention of an American citizen abroad
  • Robbery of an American citizen abroad
  • American citizens missing abroad
  • Crisis abroad involving American citizens
  • After-hours number for an emergency involving an American citizen abroad

• 3 weeks later...

I read some where on the boards where you could get a birthcerifcate really fast and it is a legal one. Well my friend got theirs and we sail in 26 days and she said it doesnt have a raised seal on it and she is woried about it. Will it be ok to use .

I'm not taking a side on this debate; however, I would like to point out that there is a flaw in the above scenario.

Let's say you had an emergency on an island like Grand Caymans. Do you know where the United States Embassy to the Grand Caymans is? London, England.

So, if you were relying on the above "Border Control Agent Endorsed Plan" you might be in for some long delays. I'm not saying that the US Consulate in the Cayman Islands (assuming there is one) wouldn't be able to help you but it seems risky given that your source of information is a Federal Policeman. (I'm not knocking the US Border Patrol either).

That does it! I'm keeping my happy, little, a....er......butt onboard in the ports!

Archived