Getting Around Fairbanks

cruzingduo

We are arriving in Fairbanks, June 3rd, the day prior to our cruise tour beginning and have a full day to explore on our own. We will be staying at Sophie's Station and are looking at the various attractions that we can do.

We want to go to the museum at the college and are wondering how can we get there and also how much time we should we plan to spend at the museum.

We read about 2 places to eat that interested us, Brewsters and The Bakery (a Diner). Can anyone give us an idea (other than renting a car) as to how we can get to the museum and 1 of the places for lunch.

We are booked for the steamboat, Eldorado gold mine and city tour with the ship. What else would you recommend that we do?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question but we're staying at the Princess Lodge. We are arriving a day earlier than our cruisetour starts with Princess - I didn't want to arrive at 11:00 pm one night and start our activities the next morning (also "doing" the riverboat and the "city of gold" tour). I haven't really figured out what else to do in Fairbanks - does anyone think we have to have a rental car to get around being based at the Princess lodge, or can we cab/bus it from there for just one day?

Thanks,

Sam

For me, it's a city that requires a car. The bus to the Universary will have waits, and walks- eating up your only free day. Besides the museum, there are the botanical gardens, raindeer farm (good for a quick look) but very interesting is the Large Animal Research farm that does tours. It is no where near the museum. It's costly by cab to get there, I had to listen to angry, who felt ripped off cruisetour people on the last tour I took. There is plenty to consider doing- determine WHAT YOU are most interested in and go from there. Will then be simple to get a car or not. request their visitor guide http://www.explorefairbanks.com

BQ - Thanks for the recommendation regarding a car. We were considering going to the North pole which I read is about 14 miles away. We also read about the hot springs 60 miles away which sound great. Do you know if one can go in them if you're not a hotel guest?

What other things should we not miss in Fairbanks?

How much time should we plan on spending at the museum?

BQ - if we did the museum, the reindeer farm & the north pole would we have time for the hot springs? We don't want to be over tired because the next morning early starts the cruise tour, but we'd like to see as much as is reasonable. We have read about some salmon bakes, would you suggest we wait and do that later? Or is there one that you'd suggest? And what sequence should we plan the day? Museum first?

thanks once again, you are a wealth of knowledge

You can spend a couple hours at the museum. Add another hour if you want the Large Animal Research tour, plus "wait" and getting there time.

The Chena Hot Springs is open for for day passes. http://www.chenahotsprings.com/water.html BE CERTAIN to have a crappy bathing suit you don't care about, can turn funky colors. :) You probably can do both in a full day. Adding North Pole- maybe. The Santa Claus House is open until 8pm in season. http://www.santaclaushouse.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Aboutus Not much else to consider there. :)

Pioneer Park has a good salmon bake. I get there right when it opens, before the hordes and hordes and hordes of tour bus people. The Palace Theater show is excellent. Reservations in advance are necessary- always sells out.

There is way more to Fairbanks than what can be seen in a day. Head to your library- take out Alaska tour books and read up on Fairbanks, as well as get their visitor guide.

BQ- thank you again for your the help. We have decided to rent a car. We'll do the museum and the Large Animal Reserve tour. Thanks for the advice about the bathing suit, I have a perfect one from our gym that's been chlorined. Now to decide between the rest of the places.

Archived