Inside Passage Itinerary/Excursions

southwardbound

We are taking the Coral Princess Sept 17, stopping in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We love the outdoors and enjoy getting exercise. So far are plans are to:

Skagway: bus or train/bus combo to Emerald Lake

Juneau: bus to Mendenhall Glacier and hike

KetchiKan: Misty fjords float plane.

On our land tour before the cruise, there seems to be alot of sitting as well: Drive to Talkeetna with a Glacier Landing plane ride, drive to Denali and bus to Wonder Lake, Drive to Cooper Landing with a fishing excursion, Drive to Seward with a Kenai Fjords cruise and possibly some hiking. Drive to Whittier with a possible PWS cruise.

Is there anything that we could add or change that might give us some more physical exercise, or should we just plan on using the exercise room on the ship when we get back?

Thanks for you imput.:)

You have a great plan.

If you want to be able to get out and walk around and take pics, you might want to rent a car for the drive to Emerald Lake instead of taking the bus. It is nice to stretch your legs, and you will make LOTS of picture stops. (Check out Alaska on Big Z for our pictures.)

In Juneau the Gold Mine tour is fun and you get to do a bit of walking down into the mine. Check Alaska on Sapphire for pics of this one.

Of course, if you are REALLY active there are things like rock climbing and kayaking, too!

Have a GREAT cruise!

You have a great plan.

If you want to be able to get out and walk around and take pics, you might want to rent a car for the drive to Emerald Lake instead of taking the bus. It is nice to stretch your legs, and you will make LOTS of picture stops. (Check out Alaska on Big Z for our pictures.)

In Juneau the Gold Mine tour is fun and you get to do a bit of walking down into the mine. Check Alaska on Sapphire for pics of this one.

Of course, if you are REALLY active there are things like rock climbing and kayaking, too!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Yes, but not an option- Avis is already closed when they go. I will never recommend the independent company. Too many screw ups over many years.

We are taking the Coral Princess Sept 17, stopping in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. We love the outdoors and enjoy getting exercise. So far are plans are to:

Skagway: bus or train/bus combo to Emerald Lake

Juneau: bus to Mendenhall Glacier and hike

KetchiKan: Misty fjords float plane.

On our land tour before the cruise, there seems to be alot of sitting as well: Drive to Talkeetna with a Glacier Landing plane ride, drive to Denali and bus to Wonder Lake, Drive to Cooper Landing with a fishing excursion, Drive to Seward with a Kenai Fjords cruise and possibly some hiking. Drive to Whittier with a possible PWS cruise.

Is there anything that we could add or change that might give us some more physical exercise, or should we just plan on using the exercise room on the ship when we get back?

Thanks for you imput.:)

Plenty of hiking and walking options EVERYWHERE!!! :)

I'm with BQ~hiking options are everywhere.

Also, I read a while back about something with ice climbing a glacier--how adventurous are you?

Perhaps others can remember where I read this and what company does it if you're interested...

I'm with BQ~hiking options are everywhere.

Also, I read a while back about something with ice climbing a glacier--how adventurous are you?

Perhaps others can remember where I read this and what company does it if you're interested...

2 hours from Anchorage. I went with MICA guides. A great tour without a fly in. :) http://micaguides.com/

Thanks for the replies. It is much appreciated. I did know that the avis closed up shop Sept.16....finding that to be true on other things as well,but I am finding other options which are good. Don't know if I am open for ice climbing, but it does sound interesting and I will check into it. I just was not sure with this schedule how much "hiking" time we will have. Is there time to hike on the shuttle to Wonder Lake and the trip to Emerald Lake if we take the bus or bus/train combo?

Thanks for the replies. It is much appreciated. I did know that the avis closed up shop Sept.16....finding that to be true on other things as well,but I am finding other options which are good. Don't know if I am open for ice climbing, but it does sound interesting and I will check into it. I just was not sure with this schedule how much "hiking" time we will have. Is there time to hike on the shuttle to Wonder Lake and the trip to Emerald Lake if we take the bus or bus/train combo?

For clairfication, I did not do any Ice Climbing with MICA. It was a trek only, total time about 4 hours with a private guide for 2.

Yes you can stay as long as you wish at Wonder Lake, just get in line at the bus stop when you are ready to go, for the next available shuttle bus. Be certain to pack light, and eat before you start out, so to lighten any backpack loads. :)

You will not have any time for hiking on combo tours from Skagway. Stops are brief, enough for a look around.

Southwardbound, we're on the same sailing! Have you signed in for the Roll Call? Many nice people already logged in.

I printed the walking trails map of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau so we could poke around independently after the public bus ride out there. Also, in Skagway, after we do the train/bus in the morning, we're going to visit the national park ranger and head out on trails there. It's described on the Skagway tourism site. We're doing the Misty Fjords flightplane in Ketchikan also, then just walking around town, no real hiking.

Probably the best way to get what you really want to do is avoid the canned tours and look for the independent things that are not presold. Of course this takes a bit of self confidence and sales resistance but the proof is in the feedback that you will get from about one third of all people who travel. The other two thirds are always going to want what I call the false security of all of the prebooking and I will always believe, less adventure!?!

For you hikers, especially, the proof of this is in Denali where you do best with the cheap bus and just get off and on where you please. If you decide to "break away" in Skagway, The National Park Service has the maps/guides to keep you "on the trail" for several days, if you could stay that long.

The train ride is wonderful/memorable, but if you just come here and have a look you may see that you do not have to spend all of your time here, locked in to one excursion!

And finally, not all of the excursions are the same! I have people who send their friends from Australia just because they know that we are going to take the time for a snowball fight at the summit even in the summer when we have to hike in to the "secret snowfield!", or the hidden waterfall which is just behind the cemetery and most guides aren't allowed that much time for that short hike, either!?! You have to be a bit inquisitive but these extras exist wherever you travel you just have to seek them out! Happy travels! dyeadave

In Juneau the Gold Mine tour is fun and you get to do a bit of walking down into the mine.

Princess has an excursion that offers a mine tour and gold panning. Promises gold and garnets. Did you find any garnets??? Loved your pics and narratives.

Archived