Review of South America Cruise - Part 1

Troy86

Hi Claudia,

the website is http://www.buetours.com. Ricardo is the owner and a very nice man. I do have websites for most of the local tour operators. I included them in my review but were removed by the webmaster before posting. If anyone would like url's for any of the other operators, please let me know. BTW, the guys in Ushuaia have a really cool web site: http://www.canalfun.com

Oh one more option in Punta Arenas that just came to mind. We did not do this tour because we could take our 2-yr old daughter, but sounds incredible. Check out Whale Sound (http://www.whalesound.com), it combines a helicopter ride, glaciers and whale encounters. Click on the Special Program on the main page.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your most informative cruise review. My wife and I will be taking the HAL cruise Ocober 25th from Chile and we would like to follow your lead by traveling independently.

Could you give me the web address of your tour guide in Puerto Montt. I did a google search and their English website does not appear complete in that there is no way to contact them.

Thank you for replying so very quickly to my enquiry. Since we are only two people it seems we will still have to take the cruise tours after all because the private tours cater to a minimum number and the cost will work out higher as you pointed out already. Nonetheless we will still try to use your guide at Puerto Montt.

You were very fortunate to have stayed at Hotel Carreras and it looks like we will be staying at the Plaza San Francisco.

Originally we planned to take a guided tour to Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso and then board ship the same day but the rates are quite high so it seems jusy cheaper to arrange for a taxi at the US$85 rate and find our own way when we get to Valparaiso.

My compliments on your tremendous recollection and organization.

As an aside we will be dis-embarking in Rio so we will try to get to the Falls from Rio. I wish I had set aside more time. In speaking to a family friend who followed your intineary six years ago his high point was visiting some Swiss Alpine like area in Argentina. He was even more effusive about this place than the Falls.

Again thank you.

Noel, just to give you a heads up we have confirmed with Gerardo that we would like Rocio to take us on the same tour in Puerto Montt. We said we would not object if others join us to lower the cost per person. BTW, we were quoted in US dollars and how does one usually pay and when? No doubt he will be informing me. My preference would be by credit card because it seems that carrying cash is a better idea then traveller's cheque and I want to conserve the cash we carry as best I can.

Hi there,

We paid the full amount in advance using a credit card. I think that they wanted a deposit only, but we told them to go ahead an charge the credit card for the entire amount. They were recommended by Frommer's, so we had no problem trusting them. You will need some cash during the tour for the tip and shopping. During our trip most people/stores accepted US dollars, but we always kept about $40 in local currency just in case (which you can get from any ATM).

BTW, Rocio is not a guide. She is Geraldo's assistant and she will arrange the tour for you with a local guide.

Regarding Iguazzu Falls, we stayed on the Argentinian side but visited the Brazilian side one day. The was a hotel inside the brazilian national park that looked very nice. It was called Dos Cataratas. Also, don't forget you need visas to enter Brazil.

Noel

Noel,

Thank you for the clarification; I just hope we get the same guide you did. Probably I will do the same thing but we have yet to finalize costs as we are trying to grow the group. I am using Frommer's but their general South American guide does not mention Alsur although they do recommend a few guides. Silly me for not studying Frommer's more closely. I was wondering how you found all these great private tours.

As for the Falls I have been fine tuning arrangements out of Rio where we dis-embark. Seems I am behind the eight ball; the hotel you recommended and that I also wanted is fully booked. Oh well, that's for leaving things to the last minute.

On the subject of visas I am still waiting for the return of our passports from the Toronto Brazilian Consulate. It's been two weeks and counting. This is something I cannot do too much in advance because one must enter Brazil not later than 90 days after the issue date of the visa which means no earlier than August 10th to apply. What a pain.

Many thanks.

E.T.

• 2 weeks later...
Noel,

As for the Falls I have been fine tuning arrangements out of Rio where we dis-embark. Seems I am behind the eight ball; the hotel you recommended and that I also wanted is fully booked. Oh well, that's for leaving things to the last minute.

E.T.

Who is helpling you fine tune your excursion to the falls? I cannot seem to get any answers to my queries. I think it is handled in Florida, and everyone there has been in a mess the last few weeks!

Appreciate any contacts you can suggest.

love

joan

Archived