Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation

greatam

Thanks for all the great information.

We usually arrange our own air but for the TransAtlantic cruises find the cruseline air/transfers a much better deal.

Last year we did a TA from Barcelona to Miami. Used cruiseline air as we couldn't get close to the price for 2 open jaw flights from LAX/Barcelona and Miami/LAX. Flights were OK but no non-stops. I don't think there are many, if any, non-stops from LAX/Barcelona. Couldn't get a non-stop for the return from Miami/LAX as it was Thanksgiving weekend.

We'll be on another TA from London/Boston Sept 2008. Again pricing from the cruise line (including transfers) is much better than anything I can find so far. We requested air deviation at the time of booking. RCI tells me they don't have their contracts set yet and to call back 10 months pre-cruise. I call every week (just in case the contracts are set) and am hoping I can get a non-stop LAX/London flight. I think it's a possibility as there are many non-stops between LAX/London. Keeping my fingers crossed and still checking availability on my own.

Check out flying MaxJet nonstop from LAX to London. You can easily book a one way home from BOS to LAX. I booked MaxJet for Dec. 31 for my QE2 transatlantic. Price one way from LAX was $731.00 all in (and the price is $100.00 cheaper today). Business class service, which makes the LOOOONG flight from LAX tolerable. Booking far in advance may get you a heck of a bargain. Service on MaxJet limited to certain days of the week, but maybe you can make it work.

You will have to get from Stanstead airport to your port, which may be slightly more difficult than getting from Heathrow to the port. But the train has a station right outside the airport door and National Express (the bus) has excellent service all over the UK.

http://www.maxjet.com/homeAction.do

http://nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Check out flying MaxJet nonstop from LAX to London. You can easily book a one way home from BOS to LAX. I booked MaxJet for Dec. 31 for my QE2 transatlantic. Price one way from LAX was $731.00 all in (and the price is $100.00 cheaper today). Business class service, which makes the LOOOONG flight from LAX tolerable. Booking far in advance may get you a heck of a bargain. Service on MaxJet limited to certain days of the week, but maybe you can make it work.

You will have to get from Stanstead airport to your port, which may be slightly more difficult than getting from Heathrow to the port. But the train has a station right outside the airport door and National Express (the bus) has excellent service all over the UK.

http://www.maxjet.com/homeAction.do

http://nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Thanks for all the links. We looked at MaxJet. We're staying 3 days pre-cruise in London and they don't fly out of LAX on the day we need to leave. :( I know we could get to London from Stanstead. We're waiting to find out what RCI will offer.........then we'll decide which airline to use.

Thanks again!

Don't know if this is the appropriate thread but -- can anyone tell me how to book the Y UP fares so often discussed as cheap first class?

I have no idea where to find -- how to book -- whatever.

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Don't know if this is the appropriate thread but -- can anyone tell me how to book the Y UP fares so often discussed as cheap first class?

I have no idea where to find -- how to book -- whatever.

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Check out this link for more info on Y Up fares.

http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/category/y-up-fares/

If you are booking directly on an airline's web site, try checking that you want First Class and then best available fare. When I fly my son home from Seattle, I price the lowest Coach fare and then I price the lowest First Class. So far, 3 out of 4 times the price difference was only $200. But then again, he is in the Army so sometimes he flies home with less than a month's notice or during holidays.

When I price it at work, I can do basically the same thing through my SABRE system.

We booked our cruise with air through DCL. Their airfare quote was much cheaper than I am able to find. It is during a holiday week in NY. We are traveling from JFK to MCO and arriving the day before and staying at the Hyatt which I booked through DCL. They do not charge a deviation for this.

? We are thinking of paying $50 deviation pp to make sure our flight will be non-stop. Do you think this is a smart thing to do? I was not going to request any specific flights. Should I?

also My son is a Type 1 diabetic. Do you think they would just book us a non-stop anyway or it really doesn't matter to them?

Do you think the flight could have more than 1 layover?

DCL uses Delta out of JFK

I would really love your input on this and could use your travel experience. Thank you:)

We booked our cruise with air through DCL. Their airfare quote was much cheaper than I am able to find. It is during a holiday week in NY. We are traveling from JFK to MCO and arriving the day before and staying at the Hyatt which I booked through DCL. They do not charge a deviation for this.

? We are thinking of paying $50 deviation pp to make sure our flight will be non-stop. Do you think this is a smart thing to do? I was not going to request any specific flights. Should I?

also My son is a Type 1 diabetic. Do you think they would just book us a non-stop anyway or it really doesn't matter to them?

Do you think the flight could have more than 1 layover?

DCL uses Delta out of JFK

I would really love your input on this and could use your travel experience. Thank you:)

ANYBODY? I could really use advice:(

• 2 months later...

I have read this air deviation thing, and still do not understand. I am booked on the Infinity Feb 15th sailing 2008. We choose cruise line air, as I didn't have the confindence to book my own, with a separate departure, and return airport/country.

My understanding was that if for what ever reason, your flight was delayed, and your connection missed, the cruise line would look after you by booking a flight asap, and then fly you into the cruise at the next port where air was reachable? They would look after you while this endeavour transpired, ie) a hotel if necessary?

We do not have our tickets as yet, but I have inquired as to our flight times and connections, and they seem reasonable, with one layover from DTW to Atanta, and hour and 10 min layover, then from Atlanta to Buenos Aries Argentina. Home was about 4 hours laid over in Atlanta, but that seemed reasonable.

Can you help me understand, you mean if something goes amiss, we are on our own?

Thanks

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

I am still confused.

Cunard brochure says that once I get the air schedule (60 days prior to cruise) I can request Custom Air. Well have just found myself in that situation.

As described in new thread, I ended up researching the flights from my designated airport with same airline as cruise line were using, and found a later flight with over 25 VACANT coach seats.thought through custom air that I could pay and get one of these , but no even though they were vacant and I was willing to pay regular fare, I was told that "due to the contract, Cunard could NOT book one of these vacant coach seat on this flight only first class"

This does not make sense to me. Who is rippping me off ?

I am still confused.

Cunard brochure says that once I get the air schedule (60 days prior to cruise) I can request Custom Air. Well have just found myself in that situation.

As described in new thread, I ended up researching the flights from my designated airport with same airline as cruise line were using, and found a later flight with over 25 VACANT coach seats.thought through custom air that I could pay and get one of these , but no even though they were vacant and I was willing to pay regular fare, I was told that "due to the contract, Cunard could NOT book one of these vacant coach seat on this flight only first class"

I read your other thread. No one is ripping you off. What they are telling you: Airlines only allow the cruise line to buy XXXX amount of tickets (and this varies with each cruise, each airport, each destination). The limit very often includes custom air/air deviation tickts. So what they are telling you is they have reached their limit "per their cruise line/airline contract" of their available seats. They can book first class-there are probably first class seats (at a hefty price) available under their contract. Once the contract limit is reached, the airline will not allow the cruise line to purchase ANY MORE tickets at any price (other than FC). You would be far better off booking your own ticket at this date. If you will post your dates, airports, and any other pertinent information (non stop, would you be willing to take two airlines, etc) and what price you are willing to pay, I will try to help.

PS-just because the seat map for the flight shows there are 25 seats DOES NOT mean there are 25 seats available. Often, seats are unassigned and the flight is full. And the airline holds back seats to accommodate families, infants, disabled, etc. There are only a couple of reliable ways to find empty seats on a plane and they are both subscription based. $5.00 per month on Expertflyer.com will allow you to see REAL TIME seat availability.

I have read this air deviation thing, and still do not understand. I am booked on the Infinity Feb 15th sailing 2008. We choose cruise line air, as I didn't have the confindence to book my own, with a separate departure, and return airport/country.

My understanding was that if for what ever reason, your flight was delayed, and your connection missed, the cruise line would look after you by booking a flight asap, and then fly you into the cruise at the next port where air was reachable? They would look after you while this endeavour transpired, ie) a hotel if necessary?

We do not have our tickets as yet, but I have inquired as to our flight times and connections, and they seem reasonable, with one layover from DTW to Atanta, and hour and 10 min layover, then from Atlanta to Buenos Aries Argentina. Home was about 4 hours laid over in Atlanta, but that seemed reasonable.

Can you help me understand, you mean if something goes amiss, we are on our own?

Thanks

Susan

Not ENTIRELY on your own. But if you read the fine print in your cruise contract, it will state something to the effect "transportation is done as a courtesy and we make NO guarantees that you will get to your cruise".

And you are cutting it pretty close from DTW, with only an hour+ layover. Not a lot of time for a snow storm delay, mechanical delay, etc. etc.

Two things are working against you with your cruise air tickets: 1-On the weekends, the cruise air dept does NOT generally have the higher ups working, so you are at the mercy of a low level person who may or may not have the ability, wherewithal, or power to straighten out whatever mess you find yourself in.

2. Most likely, you have CONSOLIDATOR class tickets. If you read the entire explanation, you know that you can only use these on the originating airline (unless the airline pays another carrier IN CASH-not very likely in todays airline environment). Since you are flying through ATL, I would guess you have Delta flights.

Example: Your flight from your home airport is late, making you miss your connection in ATL to BA. You are now at the mercy of Delta. They are obligated to get you on the next flight that has SPACE AVAILABLE.

What that could POSSIBLY mean: no space available for 2 days-ship has left BA. Delta can get you to BA, but no space available to your next port (maybe Ushauaia) for 2 days. So you have now missed 4 days of your cruise, spent a lot of sleepless nights in strange hotels (which Delta/cruise line MAY or MAY NOT pay for on the spot-you may have to pay for them and get reimbursed through the airline, cruise line or your travel insurance.) and most likely racked up quite a few extra expenses trying to get to your cruise.

I don't mean to worry you, but these are REALISTIC possibilities. The BEST ways you can protect yourself. 1. Have GOOD travel insurance from a third party-NOT the cruiseline insurance

2. Have a list of ALL possible flights to get you to your final destination. Think outside the box-you DO NOT need to fly in a straight line or directly to BA. What you need to do is get to your cruise. So look at flights through Sao Paulo, Santiago, Lima-all Delta destinations out of ATL. If you can offer the agent trying to help you options for flights that leave later than your originally scheduled flight, you are ahead of the game.

3. Have the airline, cruise line, travel agent, maybe even your own corporate travel dept, airport lounges (if you belong), any one you can think of that can help you out of your situation either programmed into your cell phone or on an easily accessible list. DO NOT stand in line WAITING with everyone else to get to an agent. While you are in line, you may be able to rebook yourself on the 2 available seats on the next flight out on the phone. Another advantage of having your list of flights-if the flight is leaving soon, go to the gate the flight is leaving from. You will generally find a much shorter line and immediate help.

Hope this has eased your mind somewhat. I wish you well!!! And enjoy your cruise!!!

Looking at a seat map is one of the worst possible ways of trying to gauge how many bookings there are for a flight. It often bears no relationship whatsoever to how many people have booked.

In addition, any cabin has many different booking classes associated with it. As a simplification, each booking class will represent one particular fare level - some are for cheaper fares and some are for more expensive fares. Each booking class will have only limited availability - and when that booking class sells out, then you can no longer get the fare associated with that booking class, even if there are seats available at other fares.

As greatam explains, tour operators such as cruise lines will have contracts with each airline for a limited amount of space on each flight. Often this is regulated by restricting the cruise line tickets to (for example) G class. When there are no more G class seats on a flight, the cruise line can no longer put any more passengers on that flight - even though you could get a seat on the flight by booking through some other route.

So you're not being ripped off. This is just the way that cruise lines organise air travel.

We were set to fly out of our local airport and were fogged in. We had booked airfare with our cruise as a package along with travel insurance. We were delayed indefinitely at the airport and it became evident that we were going to miss the cruise departure. We called Carnival and were told that it was our responsiblity to fly to the first port. She said that travel insurance and the fly aweigh programs are just for our travel agent to make a commission. She was actually quite rude and of no help at all.

My husband called a little bit later and was told the same thing by the next agent.

I spoke with Delta and they tried to reaccomodate us but said that they were contracted with Carnival to get us to Miami and that was it. After many tears and frustration, they said that our tickets fell into a protected class and that they were responsible to get us to the first port. They did arrange this very successfully and with much appreciation from us. No thanks to Carnival.

What the heck is going on that we don't understand and who should we contact about the treatment we received by the carnival reps if anyone. We can understand if it is our responsiblity but we thought that this protected us. No matter what, the carnival people were terrrible to us and someone should know about it.

Thanks!!

We were set to fly out of our local airport and were fogged in. We had booked airfare with our cruise as a package along with travel insurance. We were delayed indefinitely at the airport and it became evident that we were going to miss the cruise departure. We called Carnival and were told that it was our responsiblity to fly to the first port. She said that travel insurance and the fly aweigh programs are just for our travel agent to make a commission. She was actually quite rude and of no help at all.

My husband called a little bit later and was told the same thing by the next agent.

I spoke with Delta and they tried to reaccomodate us but said that they were contracted with Carnival to get us to Miami and that was it. After many tears and frustration, they said that our tickets fell into a protected class and that they were responsible to get us to the first port. They did arrange this very successfully and with much appreciation from us. No thanks to Carnival.

What the heck is going on that we don't understand and who should we contact about the treatment we received by the carnival reps if anyone. We can understand if it is our responsiblity but we thought that this protected us. No matter what, the carnival people were terrrible to us and someone should know about it.

Thanks!!

Sorry you had such a bad experience. At least Delta came through for you.

However, if you read the fine print in your cruise contract, it will state something to the effect "we provide air transportation as a COURTESY. We are not responsible for third party delays, mishaps, etc. etc. etc" They have covered all their bases and as you found out, there really is no help from the cruise line. And since this was weather related, "force majeure" rules come into effect and no one, including the airline,had to do anything for you except get you to your orginal destination.

On the weekends especially, you don't have many higher level people at the cruise line who can make a decision or fix a problem. You get someone on the low end of the pay scale, who answers the phone and probably gives you the airline phone number to call.

You really have no complaint except about the rude service-sorry. Carnival (and every other cruise line) provides transportation as an accommodation. Clearly stated in the fine print. There is no protection with a cruise air ticket. Travel insurance, the good graces of the airline and your own smarts and willingness to help yourselves are the only things you can count on.

Sorry again, but at least you got your cruise, even though a day or two short. Count your blessings. Some never make it to the ship.

Thank you for the information. I am interested when I read in the reviews of Carnvial those that have had such great customer service and have had Carnival do a host of things to accomodate them.

We loved the cruise itself and wish that we could do it again. It is incredible to wake up in a different beautiful place every day.

I just wonder if it is worth it. It is a lot of money to spend on a trip that you might never get to.

How do you protect yourself?

Thank you for the information. I am interested when I read in the reviews of Carnvial those that have had such great customer service and have had Carnival do a host of things to accomodate them.

We loved the cruise itself and wish that we could do it again. It is incredible to wake up in a different beautiful place every day.

I just wonder if it is worth it. It is a lot of money to spend on a trip that you might never get to.

How do you protect yourself?

My best advice: Book your own air, direct off an airline website. Fly the day before the cruise. BE PREPARED with alternative flights in case there are problems with the flight you booked. Buy VERY good travel insurance. Research, research, reasearch all your options. Read through the Cruise Air threads-ask questions. READ the fine print before you purchase any ticket.

Good luck!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Highly unlikely. Most all cruise air tickets are in non-upgradable fare classifications for TATL or TPAC routes. Even many fare buckets bought directly from the airline cannot be upgrades over-the-water. Check with the specific airline, but I would put your chances at less than 1 in 50.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well all I know is Jan. 6 I booked an air/cruise package with Celebrity through Crucon for 9 adults and I figured to since it was the first time I had ever booked the air/cruise I would not have to worry about getting to the boat on time. I have always gone a day early. Needless to say Delta flight in Cinn. had mechanical problems which delayed the plane. I did ask Delta if we could go through another city and they said no. When we got to the horrible Los Angles airport that flight had left. Delta did put us up in a hotel however the flight only go at night so we did not fly out until the next night and therefore Celebrity cruise ship had left. Not to mention when we arrived in Auckland, NZ our luggage was lost, Celebrity had no one there to greet us or anyone to contact. A fellow cruiser had there cell phone and after many calls somehow got a bus to take us to the ship and another day not to mention the best tour had been lost. The clothes finally arrived a week into the cruise-wet, apparently they had been left out in the rain in Los Angelos.

Many lessons learned by me, Celebrity could have cared less and although they did provide $125 on board credit that did not near cover the cost of standing in line ups at the guest relations desk everyday not to mention 2 days of the cruise. Crucon did and still is providing an ear to talk to to at least make it better for future travellers. Delta within l day after coming home and me sending a letter send a $100 air travel voucher to be used within the year.

Moral of the story-book your own flight, go in l day ahead, take the least amount of luggage and pack in each others where possible and have wonderful travel insurance if you can find any. We had Mastercard coverage and so far have had no satisfaction. Apparently for the luggage lost we would have needed to purchase extremely expensive replacement clothing on the ship, which by the time we got there, so many people had lost there luggage everything was sold out and the trip delay insurance well nothing there either since Delta covered the cost of the hotel, but who cared that we had no makeup or clothing to sleep in or for the next day. We missed the ships Great Ocean Road Tour as apparently the ship arrived into port to late but the tour desk was closed in the morning for us to book anything else. When we arrived home Air Canada had lost our luggage. So needless to say it was a very stressful trip and I am still writing many letters to at least give them some suggestions so future travellers wont have to go through that.

If anyone has any great travel & medical insurance that they have had a great experience please let me know.

my understanding is that cruise line :

Cruise line is not responsible for carrier designation, carrier route, or arrival date unless you purchase an air deviation.

Incorrect info.

In cruise line's Contract of Carriage/Cruise Contract, there is wording to the effect: ALL air, hotels, shore excursions, transportation, etc. etc. is booked as a CONVENIENCE to passengers. Cruise line has NO responsibility for ANY action of third party vendors.

Here is Celebrity's Cruise Contract.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/ce...t_contract.pdf

Please check out paragraph 5 and 15. Not only are they not responsible for you regarding flights, they owe you NOTHING for hotels, food, transport OR missed days of your cruise. It is also specifically stated that the ship does NOT have to wait for a late arriving flight.

Princess' contract goes so far as to point out that "DISAPPOINTMENT" is NOT a reason for compensation.

BEST ADVICE I can give: Purchase your own air, fly in at least day early, buy good travel insurance (I personally use Travelex Lite for ALL my travel) and enjoy your cruise.