maxjet to stansted?

zaandam_2

We're considering using Maxjet for our cruise in 08. We will probably rent a car and drive since we are planning on arriving a day or two prior. I've already checked the rental car companies and you can pick up at Stansted and drop off at the Southampton airport for about $45/day plus junk fees. Seems reasonable to me if you don't want to take the train. Once in Southampton, catch a taxi over to the port.

I would also love to hear some first hand experience with this airline.

Mary

hi all. thanks for the advice.

a main concern is 1 person with 2 pieces of large luggage. i may have to trim it down, but i'll be on a baltic/transatlantic cruise with cool weather. that translates to bulky clothes.

how feasible are the train/bus options with luggage?

i'll be on a baltic/transatlantic cruise with cool weather. that translates to bulky clothes.

Two tricks -- one is to look to clothing that utilizes "technology fabrics" rather than bulk for insulation. The other is to use those "Space Bags" for your packing.

Don't bother with the roll-up kind - they are OK, but nowhere as good as the vacuum type. The vacuum models remove plenty of "space" from your clothing -- they work best on items that are fluffy, knit or fleece. You just need to use the hose on your home vacuum on the bag before you put it in the suitcase. And to answer the question, here's how you get it to work for the return -- ask your stewardess to bring by HER vacuum on packing day - all ships use canister vacs and it's a quick 1 minute process to seal up your clothes for the return trip.

For "tech clothing", check out a good outdoor equipment company such as REI. Just remember that there are good possibilities for warm weather as well (as I had 2 years ago), so look for layered or convertible "systems" that will allow you to adapt to changing weather conditions.

Our crossing was in September. We had high 50's weather in Scotland, 40's in Torshaven, high 60's in Iceland, low 40's in Greenland, 60's in Newfoundland and 70's in the USA. Think lightweight silk underwear for keeping legs warm when needed, but it's almost nothing in the suitcase. Jackets that have a removable section, so you have two separate jackets or you can combine it into one warmer piece. Lightweight turtleneck+lightweight sweater+tech jacket and you can layer yourself for anything.

Our crossing was in September. We had high 50's weather in Scotland, 40's in Torshaven, high 60's in Iceland, low 40's in Greenland, 60's in Newfoundland and 70's in the USA. Think lightweight silk underwear for keeping legs warm when needed, but it's almost nothing in the suitcase. Jackets that have a removable section, so you have two separate jackets or you can combine it into one warmer piece. Lightweight turtleneck+lightweight sweater+tech jacket and you can layer yourself for anything.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived