A Different Question - Polar Bear Tours?

curiousl8y

I know this is a CRUISE message board, and the cruise season is in the summer, but y'all have such an amazing wealth of knowledge, I thought I'd toss out this question and see what happens.

We're looking for tours that will give us Polar Bear watching in Alaska, probably in the winter of 2008/2009. We know about Churchill, Canada, but I want to spend my money in Alaska, if possible. Plus, we live on the West Coast, so it would definitely be more cost effective to fly to Alaska.

I've done some internet searches and found some info, but as always, personal experience trumps internet reviews, so I'd love to hear anything you know, or your friends know. :D

Thanks!

Linda

(I tried posting this a while ago, and got 'fatal error' messages - hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a double post)

I spent 3 days in Barrow with a private guide and no Polar Bear sightings. :) This was several years ago. I would look at Barrow for possible tours to consider. The King Elder Hotel (where I stayed) may also have tour recommendations that are current.

Barrow is the place to go for polar bears in Alaska. I saw lots of fresh tracks when I was there in late May a few years ago, but, alas, no live bears. A friend of mine is in Barrow on a regular basis for a research project and he says that one year they will see several and other years none. Of course, he doesn't really look for them either.

As BQ stated above, you should get in touch with the King Eider Hotel in Barrow. If you can get away at short notice, i.e., if they call and say there are bears around, that would help.

Archived