My wife almost died...That's why we cruise every year!

manmtnmike

My Husband and I are cruising cause we want to see and show our kids the world. No one has inside knowledge of when their last day is. While we are here we plan on making it a damn good one! Talking about life. In my family we have a Christmas tradition where we fix an Italian meal which has been in our family for generations. A few years ago, my Grandmother past away and I thought to myself, she only at that meal at Christmas which meant she only enjoyed it 70 times. I thought again and said, "now that is incomprehensive." So what did I do? I broke tradition and make this dish a few times a year! Live it up I say!!!

Hi Bobbie,

I had to cancel this cruise for the meantime, :-(. If things change, I will rebook. Lots of things going on . If I don't end up joining you, have a fantastic trip!

Laura - Hope you are doing well and will be able to join the SP cruise. I'll take you off the Bora Bora list for now, but hope to see you in March.

Bobbie

Growing up, we always went on car vacations to visit family who lived a few states away. One year, we veered off our usual route and drove up the West Coast. Dad worked for the same company for over 40 years, so as he accumulated more vacation time, we took longer vacations. When I was in college, we drove across country and up the East Coast. Eventually, my parents realized they had been to almost all 50 states. They went back and picked up the ones they were missing, so they only had Alaska and Hawaii left to visit. They were going to take a ferry to Alaska, and I suggested they do a cruise instead. They enjoyed it so much they took cruises to Hawaii, Mexico, and New Zealand. Several years ago, they decided to celebrate Dad's retirement by taking the whole family on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. At the time, my older sister had stage 4 breast cancer and it was getting worse. Mom and Dad decided to take her on a Baltic cruise on the premise that she was being invited to help my dad, who was mobility challenged. I went along as a companion to my sister. My sister didn't live to go on the big family cruise; she died 7 months later.

Mom and Dad took cruises to the Western Caribbean and the Panama Canal last year, and then we did another big family cruise. We celebrated Mom and Dad's 50th Anniversy with a cruise to Alaska. We didn't know it at the time, but this was to be Dad's last trip. He died 8 weeks ago. I carpooled with my sister for the 2-hour drive to his interment. I sat in the back seat watching the movie "Up" with my niece. It was my first time seeing it, and I was really touched by the beginning. It follows the courtship of a couple who dreams of adventure, but never quite get around to it. Finally, the wife dies, never having have traveled anywhere. I was so glad that Dad had been able to die with no regrets in that regard. :)

• 2 months later...
I lost my husband David of 13 years in 2008 to a heart attack. I cruise because, like Jack and Rose on the Titanic, I promised that I would go all the places we'd wanted to go.

We'd cruised together only twice but it was going to be our vacation of choice. Since he passed away, I've been on 5 cruises (some solo, some with friends) and I have two more planned.

I have a memorial bead that has some of David's ashes in it so he is always with me.

That's why I cruise!

Lynette :o

Lynette,

Very sorry about your loss...Impressive how well you continue on in David's memory... You will love the Allure, as we loved the Oasis so much we're headed back!

Mike

• 11 months later...
Still cruisin':D Still dancn'

Any ideas for our next cruise?

We're classic rock/disco fans...Guess which likes the disco:p?

Mike

I'm glad to know that six years later your wife is still fine and that the two of you are still cruising. Fantastic. Have you done one around South America, or through the Canal?

• 2 weeks later...

What lovely stories here. My Mum died aged 61 and my parents never had holidays as they always said they would do it in retirement and sadly that never happenend. When my Mum was very ill she told me to do everything i could, when I could, and not to put things off.

My hubby and I now have a lot of hols each year and we really do live life to the full as you just never know what is around the corner!!

If anything ever happened to either of us we have so many happy memories of cruises, ski holidays, other hols etc and although I think our friends think we are mad we know we are doing the right thing :)

We had been on a few cruises over the years and always enjoyed them. In 2009 we both had cancer and after recovering decided we needed to grab life by the tail and hang on tight. We just completed our 44th cruise in May and can't wait for our transatlantic, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, in Oct. We now get many discounts and perks that lower the cost significantly. Anchors Aweigh!!!!!

Why do you cruise?

We had a wake up call about how precious life and our relationship is.

It was a MIRACLE she survived, thought we plan a group cruise the MIRACLE...

Next up our CC Group cruise 2/27/08 "It's a Miracle" 8 Days>>

Never really took vacations as our kids were growing up...Now we do what it takes to sail away together instead of taking everything for granted.

So, why do you cruise?

MMMike

I'm happy your wife survived and that you are enjoying your time together, building new memories.

I've had 3 brain surgeries and radiation, as well as my adrenals removed. I never know if waking up tomorrow will be the day when the battle with the 4th tumor starts, so we cruise, we go out for dinner, we take lazy weekends at home and we don't sweat the small stuff. We never know when the moment comes that changes out life forever.

I'm happy your wife survived and that you are enjoying your time together, building new memories.

I've had 3 brain surgeries and radiation, as well as my adrenals removed. I never know if waking up tomorrow will be the day when the battle with the 4th tumor starts, so we cruise, we go out for dinner, we take lazy weekends at home and we don't sweat the small stuff. We never know when the moment comes that changes out life forever.

Wishing you many, many more cruises.

I cruise because twenty years ago when my husband was in the Navy, he was stationed in Bermuda just before that base closed down. He loved the island itself, as it really is a country and an island like no other. He said for years he wanted to take me there to see it. Well, in 2008, we were checking out cruise prices, as it really is the most pleasant and economical way to travel to Bermuda, unless you know someone who lives there and you can fly there and stay for free. Well, we traveled on the Norwegian Spirit on our 1st cruise in 2009, and we LOVED it! So we discovered we are the cruising type of people, and we have repeated that trip 3 times so far, and another with NCL to Bermuda this October. It's just an awesome experience to us. On the ship you can do as much or as little activities as you choose. Walk the promenade deck several rounds, go to a spa, sit in the sun, read all day if you want. Sit on your balcony or the deck and watch for dolphins, we have seen them many times. Play bingo, play cards, go dancing at night, see a show, gamble. Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired. So to us, cruising can certainly be the best vacation ever, and so far they all have been wonderful. Cheers everyone!

• 6 months later...

Been reading this thread for about an hour now (half that time crying). What lovely stories, both happy and sad. A colleague was talking about what she would want to do if she was told she only had months to live and I said 'please don't wait till then to do what your heart desires'. My husband and I have booked our four and fifth cruise with only five weeks apart for this year. We aren't rich but we won't be in debt and as we say 'it's only money!!'.

I like to think I will only regret the things I haven't done and cruising won't appear on the list. Good luck to all and happy sailing. :)

I live my life by the philosophy that you shouldn't put off what you really want to do in life because no one is guaranteed a tomorrow.

My DFIL worked so very hard his entire life with the hopes that in retirement he and my DMIL would experience life outside of their bubble. However, that wasn't what was to be. My DFIL had a massive stroke just after retiring and went on to suffer several more strokes which robbed him of his ability to walk, talk, etc. and my DMIL cared for him for more than 20 years like an angel from heaven until his passing a year ago. We all miss him terribly.

So, everyone-go out and grab everything you want out of life. Don't wait-there may not be a tomorrow!

I may tell my story...one of these days. But for now, I'd like to thank you all for sharing yours. Some very heartbreaking and others so heartwarming. Just amazing. You are all an inspiration and I wish each and every one of you and your families much love, health and happiness.

Congratulations to those that have overcome illness & my condolences to those that have lost someone so near and dear to them.

God Bless.

I feel the exact same way. I have been reading through this thread all day, with tears in my eyes. It has helped to confirm my belief that this isn't just a vacation but something that we truly enjoy and the memories will last forever. We must make it a priority because it is important.

There is nothing like being on cruise! Happy sailing everyone! :)