Palermo-car/bus/train?

Has anyone had experience renting a car from the port in Palermo? Are there car agencies near by? Is it fairly easy to drive out of town towards Trapani? Our driving in Palermo would be limited top getting in and out of town.

How about using local transportation such as trains or busses? We want to visit Alcamo which is about 45mins away. I'm also not finding much information on private tour guides. Can anyone help?

For anyone who has been to Palermo: Do you know if there are any car rental agencies near the port? Has anyone actually driven in this area? I appreciate any information that you have on this topic. Thanks.

Car Hire locations:

If you do a Goole search for 'Car Hire Palermo' you get list of URLs including this one:

http://www.travel-library.com/carrental/europe/italy/palermo/

which gives the locations of half-a-dozen car hire offices in Palermo. Three of them are on Via Francesco Crispi, and doing a second Google search for Palermo Maps brings up a few alternatives, including this one:

http://www.justitaly.org/italy/palermo/palermo-maps.asp#

And if you expand the map on the bottom-right of that page (the city map) you can see that Via Francesco Crispi is the main road just behind the harbour.

So yes it does look as if there are several car hire companies near where the ship will moor.

Thank you tom uk. Very helpful information. I wasn't sure exactly where the port was located.

Carlmm, looks like the train won't work for us as we'll be there on a Thursday. But thank you for the information.

Since I'm not getting a response to my question regarding car rental experience, I'll have to assume that it's rare for people to rent a car in this port. But how bad could it be???

Archived