Guarantee on Voyager

T739

My TA tried to book a category H triple occupancy suite, and we were given a guarantee. In looking at the deck plan, I only see one triple occupancy suite in category H and only a few in each higher category.

Has anyone had this experience? It would seem to me that the chances for an upgrade would be high. On the other hand, there might be a downside to this. I would appreciate any advice.

Well as a TA, I would advise my clients against booking and H on Voyager. They are on deck 6, and aft, and as noted on many other threads, Voyager has a well documented vibration issue, and most of the cabins affected are aft of the laundry rooms. But that is my personal opinion, and if a client wanted an H and had no issue with the vibration, then I would book it.

However, that said, many people love the category C suites on the stern and are not at all bothered by the vibration - but it is something to consider. I personally would advise clients to go for G or above, usually the cost difference is minimal, and only applies to the first two passengers. You might want to think about it, in case you do end up in the H - but if vibration doesn't bother you or your traveling companions, then sticking with a guarantee, may well net you an upgrade, although when you take a guarantee, you don't get to choose your cabin, you take what they assign, in general. Have heard of many nice upgrades when booking guarantees, not just RSSC, but all cruise lines.

Thank you for your comments. I did notice that the only triple cabin in category H is located at the aft of deck 6. However, since they did not assign that cabin when we booked H, I assumed the upgrade chance was pretty good. The price difference to reserve a G on a higher deck is about $800 per person.

WOW, thats more than I would have thought - sorry if I mislead, a lot of the time, its much less, but I guess that can depend on the particular sailing and I didn't know the date of your particular sailing. My apologies. Good luck, hope you get the upgrade!!

It's a 15 day Europeon cruise, thus more expensive. However, the cost is not the main concern. I would rather pay the extra to insure a good cabin if you believe the guarantee would guarantee a poor cabin or a vibration-prone location.

My wife and I are on the Voyager on the 14 May Barcelona-Rome cruise and also are in a Guaranteed H Cabin.

We are aware of the long cited issue with the vibration, but even through the 15+ threads about the vibration, I still have no idea what the magnitude of the vibration we are about to experience.

Is the typical vibration in the aft suites a constant, background humming where you may at times feel the vibration, but for the most part you only hear it or might see a slight tremble in glass of water?

Is it a more moderate vibration where you might feel a slight vibration while you lay on your bed? Think of the vibration one might feel laying on a motorhome bed while going down a smooth highway.

Is it a more intense vibration where silverware rattles while it lays on a table?

Or are we talking about a vibration which you must make sure that nothing is by the edge of the cabinet less it might be shook off from its perch, one can not lay a glass on a table without a steadying hand close by to ensure it does not tumble to the ground?

Any, if not all of these would be of a magnitude that would be discomforting for some people or may not be an issue for others. Thus, previous descriptions that the vibration is "uncomfortable", "nothing to worry about", etc--although well intentioned--doesn't really give us an idea of what to expect.

If someone could help us out by describing the vibration in more objective terms, we'd appreciate it.

v/r

Jan

event.png

Hi T739,

In summer 2003 my husband and I were in Voyager in cabin 667. This is the only triple cabin cat H. The vibration when the ship was moving did not allow me to fall asleep. To put it midly, I would NEVER go in an aft cabin on Voyager again, no matter what good deal they gave me. Having said that, there are people that have stayed in that same cabin and did not mind the vibration.

Only you know if feeling vibration will be inconvenient or not. In my case I could never accept a guarantee in Voyager since I wouldn't want to risk to be placed in an aft cabin.

If you do a search in this forum you'll see many posts that deal with this issue, pros and cons.

Good luck!

Is it a more moderate vibration where you might feel a slight vibration while you lay on your bed? Think of the vibration one might feel laying on a motorhome bed while going down a smooth highway.

If someone could help us out by describing the vibration in more objective terms, we'd appreciate it.

v/r

Jan

Hi Jan,

In MY experience it most closely resembles the above type of vibration you describe. To me it seemed as if there was a motor running underneath the floor where the bed was. It was not a noise, but a vibration. There was also some rattling in the glass cabinet doors but that didn't really bother me.

I was on Voyager last October - We were not quite midship (in 653) but there was still a fair bit of vibration when the ship was moving at top speed. There was vibration quite a bit in the bathroom and the room creaked a lot more at the higher speeds. We fixed much of the creaking by keeping the bathroom and closet doors shut. I would not go farther back on the ship.

As for the guarantee, it is hit or miss. This time we booked a G guarantee and ended up with a lovely cabin midship. Others have not been as lucky and I likely would not do that again given the anxiety of wanting a good cabin. My understanding is that if space is available you can pay for an upgrade once onboard.

Well our one experience on the Voyager was in 2005, 17 day back to back Dover to Rome.

We booked cabin 862, and after reading all the threads re vibration, and those in particular that said the vibration got worse as you went aft from the laundry rooms, we booked on that basis. 862 was a great cabin, and we only noticed a very mild amount of vibration occassionaly at night when lying in bed - as mentioned above, and only when the ship would be traveling a higher speeds. I did notice however, that as I walked toward the aft, and around to the other side to the laundry room, that the vibration did increase, but I was never in any of those rooms, only walking back and forth from our room to the laundry room. I get annoyed with vibration after awhile, so prefer not to deal with it, and of course in a public room you can always go somewhere else. We felt confident enough about the location of cabin 862, that we have actually booked 861 for a 16 day cruise in November Monte Carlo to Ft. Lauderdale. Now that should be a real test of how bad or not it might be, especially when we are crossing the Atlantic. I do think I remember that once or twice there would be glasses clinking in the bar cabinet, and I would have to move them around, and we did keep the closet and bathroom doors shut, but we always keep them closed anyway, and yes there was now and then some creaking, but again you are on a ship and that is just part of it.

Over all we were fine, but as I said before, I would not want anything more aft on Voyager, and I would personally caution any of my clients about that and let them make the decision. For those that the vibration does not bother, its not an issue. I think you really have to look at this from your own point of view, and how it will or will not affect your overall experience.

I have sailed in Cat H on Voyager for 21 nights and continue to book Cat H guarantees whenever I can. I do not mind the vibration at all; we have never had anything fall off of a table or had any other problems. When I have booked Cat H guarantee, I keep getting stuck forward in Cat E or Cat F; I much prefer the area near the stern due to convenience to aft stairs. I still have not had the good fortune to get a "free" upgrade to Cat C; I keep hoping.

I also try to book a three person room. First, it is so there can't be any kids near me. Second, if they do need it for someone travelling with a third person, I can get a free upgrade. I would hold on to your Cat H guarantee but make sure that no one forgets that there are three of you.

Marc

A few years ago we were upgraded to a cat C. I loved it; my wife hated it. Here are my observations (what I can remember):

When the ship was moving there was normally a vibration -- didn't bother me.

If the seas were rough, it was MUCH worse

If the ship was crusing pretty fast there was more vibration.

Nothing fell off the shelves, but when it was bad, it was an pain.

I think the more you read about the vibrations the more varied responses you will see. I slept pretty well; my wife did not.

If I could get an upgrade to a C again I would --- unfortunately I would have to take someone other than my wife.

You might try checking out the threads on this topic at: ****************.com. Several people have commented. There are mixed reviews...some it bothers..some it doesn't.

We're booked on the May 26 cruise out of Rome in an H guarantee. I'm not too worried...maybe we'll get lucky...think positively.

:)

Archived