Car Rental In Fairbanks

cruzingduo

Looking for feedback renting a car in Fairbanks. Actually looking for positive experience feedback. I rented a car from Alamo and agreed on the price & car size and the confirmation was not correct, even after I had reviewed the car thoroughly before I hung up. I am not comfortable with the booking if they cannot even get the car size correct. Has anyone used Avis or Budget and was satisfied?

What exactly was the issue with car size? Fairbanks is fairly small and isolated and they may not have exactly what you were looking for. I have rented cars here with no problems. The only issue I have had was when I rented a full size and the one they had was medium-sized at best -not enough room for four people and gear. They upgraded me to a Ford Explorer for an extra $10 per day (we won't talk about what I spent on gas!).

What exactly was the issue with car size? Fairbanks is fairly small and isolated and they may not have exactly what you were looking for. I have rented cars here with no problems. The only issue I have had was when I rented a full size and the one they had was medium-sized at best -not enough room for four people and gear. They upgraded me to a Ford Explorer for an extra $10 per day (we won't talk about what I spent on gas!).

Just an FYI, the rental car companies are required to give you the same size car that you reserve or larger for no additional charge. I have heard of others being charged for being "upgraded" but that is bunk. Hopefully you didn't keep the car too long so you didn't have too many extra $10/day charges.

Another common ploy of rental companies is to ask you when you arrive if you want to "upgrade" for "only" $X/day. What they don't tell you is that they don't have the size you confirmed and they are going to give you the larger size for free anyway. That has happened almost every time I rent an economy or a compact car. Just learn to say "no" - or ask to see the physical keys of the car you will receive if you do not upgrade. That will force them to come clean.

wolfie, I rented a mid size and the confirmation said compact. I know this may sound like I am making a big deal out of this, but you'd have to have heard the guy I booked with. I have used Alamo many times in Florida, this is our first trip to Alaska and I was a bit unsure of going with them from the start. We want to pick the car up after 9 pm to use it for the next day. Maybe I just an agent having an off day.

I am surprised at booking with a "real Person". Why not just reserve online, simple to put in the car you want and a printed confirmation is available for you.

I have rented cars several times in Fairbanks, Alamo, National and Avis.

I agree with BQ - cancel the current reservation and book online. You can even try bidding through Priceline and maybe save a few bucks. That's how I ended up with my Explorer for $25 per day - I had originally bid $15 for a full size.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have more info on what you can and cannot drive on in Fairbanks? I looked at Avis car rental, but there were no local information on limitations, such as the Dalton highway from another post.

Call them direct for the contact information. Usually all unpaved roads are prohibited, which means the Dalton. The Elliott Highway is paved to just past Livengood. And believe me- you do not want to even consider the Dalton, without being more than well prepared.

You need to consider damages to cars, that are common on unpaved roads, and take out ALL the extra waivers if your contract allows driving unpaved roads. Be aware- you are on your own. Frequently there is no cell service, and road side services can be many many miles apart. Again be well prepared.

Anyone have more info on what you can and cannot drive on in Fairbanks? I looked at Avis car rental, but there were no local information on limitations, such as the Dalton highway from another post.

As Budget Queen posted, if you plan on driving the Dalton, be prepared. And you better be pretty darn mechanical and have tools as well.

Regular rental car companies DO NOT allow you to take their cars on the Dalton. And you would not want to-you may end up buying the entire car. You have to get a specially equipped car-extra tires, CB radio, etc. etc. http://www.arctic-outfitters.com/auto-rentals.htm. The Chevy dealer in Fairbanks also has cars that can be driven to Prudhoe (they have an agreement with BP)

We own 37 over the road trucks. We are both pretty darn mechanical. We drove to Prudhoe a few years ago. DH doesn't go ANYWHERE without his tool box (including trips to Alaska every year). We broke down. Alternator bracket broke. DH was able to fix it with wire/duct tape. But without the tools, we would have been waiting for a tow. Only two places for towing on the Dalton-Fairbanks and Coldfoot. Minimum charge just for the tow truck to show up from Coldfoot-$200.00. And plan on AT LEAST an 8 hour wait for help, which means food, water and TP.

Not an easy drive, even for us professionals. Unless you have LOTS of time, are prepared to change tires and fend for yourself, a tour up the Dalton would be an much better option.

Looks like I won't be doing the Dalton drive. It was just something that I read, and thought it'd be something to do.

I'll definitely request a visitor guide!

Any not to be missed attractions you can suggest?

Archived