Maui Hotel Help Needed!

teacherone

We will be flying back to Maui for 3 nights after our POH cruise at the end of July. My head is spinning with the different hotel choices! I was going to book the Hyatt Regency but I think I read somewhere that its beach isn't very good. Grand Wailea wasn't available for my dates - I didn't even get to its prices!

We're looking for a beautiful resort with a nice pool area and an inviting beach. Since we'll be doing most of our sight seeing during the cruise week, these 3 days will be mostly for relaxing. What area (if any) is nicer?

We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary and older DD is celebrating her college graduation (younger DD is along for the ride!) Since we need 2 rooms or a suite with a separate bedroom, my budget is approx. $1000 per night.

Finally, we were going to rent a car at the airport to use during our stay and to get us back to the airport afterward. Would this be easier/less expensive than arranging transfers and transportation during our stay?

Thanks for any info!

With that budget, you shouldn't have a problem! For Kaanapali, you may want to check out the Kaanapali Ali. I haven't stayed there, but I've heard great things about it. I've stayed at the Royal Lahaina -- I don't think you'd want to stay there -- more for people on a lower budget! You definitely want a car in Maui -- best way to get around.

The Hyatt itself is really nice, but the beach is not nice right there. You may want to spend part of your day up at Kapalua beach or in front of the Sheraton if you want to snorkel. Whatever you do, it will be great! Aloha!

Aloha-

I would personlly want to stay in the Wailea area if I were you (south shore) it is the main "resort area" on the island. You can pick between, the Grand,Four Seasons, Fairmont Kea Lani, Marriott, The Prince- they are all within your budget. Kaanapali is also nice but IMO more "touristy" and much more dated. Wailea is much more beautiful with better swimming beaches-you are also close to shopping (shops of wailea)and snorkeling (KAM II, fishbowl,Makena, etc.) FYI-speedy shuttle charges $40 a head one way to the hotels-a total rip! get a car at the airport,you will defenitely use it. Good luck!

Archived