Empress and Bermuda questions...

Hi gang..

I am going to be on the Empress of the Seas on 4/28/07 - 5/5/07 with 20 people (all my hockey teammates and our wives/girlfriends).. we just found out that the ship is now just going to the Hamilton port in Bermuda (it was scheduled to go to St. George first).

I just had a few questions that maybe you could help me with...

Does anyone know if the pool on the Empress is heated? being that we are going the first week of may.. is it going to be too cold to be around the pool?

and Bermuda weather.. is it typically decent at this time of year?

i am a little nervous because i have been on the explorer and the navigator.. i hope i am not disappointed in the ship.. most of the people going with my wife and I have never been on a cruise, so i am sure they will love it, but we are used to the bigger ships.

and the renovations.. i heard the empress has just been renovated.. any idea what that means?

The pool is not heated, and I do not think you will be disappointed in the Empress. Empress definitely does not offer what the explorer does but if you are going with 20 people

you will have plenty to do besides you and your friends will make the cruise fun not the ship.

www.weather.bm

i dont know what happened... they just said that the port was closed. no explaination.

that sucks about the pool... that means that it is going to be cold as hell and unusable huh?

I will be on the ship the week before you. I was on the Empress last August and we docked in St Georges and Hamilton. Hamilton is right in the middle of everything, you will not be disappointed. Get a bus pass for the day, and you can travel the whole Island. Make sure you stop at Horseshoe bay beach....beautiful.

Don't worry about the pool, they have hot tubs...:D

Have a great trip!

Hi gang..

I am going to be on the Empress of the Seas on 4/28/07 - 5/5/07 with 20 people (all my hockey teammates and our wives/girlfriends

Is it going to be too cold to be around the pool?

and Bermuda weather.. is it typically decent at this time of year?

The weather should be OK for being around the pool but the ocean may be on the cool side for most people to swim at the beach. For touring or playing golf it should be ideal, not too hot nor cold.

We went the first week of June last year and it was almost a little too warm, but being from Las Vegas we aren't used to the humidity. I think the weather will probably be perfect for your visit.

I concur the pool wasn't heated but the whirlpools were nice and toasty.

We loved, loved, loved Bermuda, our favorite cruise destination so far. The beaches are amazing. If you are a sushi diner we had some of the best ever on the island with local catches that were fresh. Almost as good as being in England but without the long plane ride and warmer weather but it still has it's own Bermudan style.

We are on the 5/5/07 sailing to Bermuda on the EOS and we are going to ST. George. I would not in the least be concerned. Supposely they are working on the dock. I am surprised though they your sailing is not going to ST. George and ours is. Sometimes the weather does not allow the ship to get through the town cut. In that case the ship either stays at the dock in hamilton or moores in Hamilton and you tender in to port. Either way the Island is so small I wouldn't be concerned.

Here is the article I found, It looks like we are not going to St. George either http://www.theroyalgazette.com/siftology.royalgazette/Article/article.jsp?sectionId=60&articleId=7d741af3003000f

Bermuda weather is pretty similar to North Carolina weather since they are about the same lattitude. We sailed to Bermuda in late May for our honeymoon, and it was colder on the ship than on land. Whenever we were on deck the breeze chilled you pretty quickly. But when we went on land, the sun was warm and the breeze much milder.

As for changing ports, as a few others have said, the island isn't that large. You can take a bus from Hamilton to St. George in about 20 minutes. If you will be in Bermuda several days, get the all day passes which let you use buses and ferrys. I think the shopping is better in Hamilton though, and Elbow beach is nearer there as well. St. Georges is great if you like history--lots of historical sites and a small museum.

Archived