Taking wine on board

moom

Heh, what does it tell you about me that my first post here is about taking alcohol on board? ;)

I could have sworn that the pre-cruise packet they sent mentioned that the limit for taking your own alcohol was 1 bottle per person. That's what we had planned to do until reading this thread? So no one has had problems taking, say 6 bottles of wine on board?

I truly walked right on with a six bottle carrier - didn't even have to hide it. :) Furthermore, the vodka (which I believe you have to be more sneaky about) and 2 other bottles of wine we'd put in our suitcase just in case weren't confiscated. They were wrapped tightly in our clothing and looked exactly the same when we took them out as they way we'd put them in. I've seen a lot of other posts regarding Royal Caribbean and NCL confiscating booze. Luckily, Princess doesn't have a problem with it :D They kindly suggest that you limit the number of bottles but there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule about it.

Have a fabulous time!

Betsy

If they have created a "new rule" they need to change their printed matter and web site...... haul all that cheap swill onboard and enjoy it:D

It appears that they've updated the Cruise Answer Guide to say 1 bottle per person, but not the Passage Contract, which does not specify a limit. IMHO, the Passage Contract would be legally superior to the Answer Guide, and as such, I would carry a copy of it with you just in case someone were to object.

So, now another question: Are the refrigerators in the cabins big enough to chill a white wine, or should we stick to reds?

Big enough, yes, cold enough, eh, not so much:o Worked better to ice water down a bottle for a couple hours then stick it in the fridge to maintain a cooler temp, vs trying to do all the cooling via fridge.....We only did a couple whites; mostly we had reds. It's easier!

We also managed to have a nice bar set up in our cabin. We poured Vodka into 3 Aquafina 16.9 oz water bottles, we had tequilla, rum and whiskey also. This was all put into our checked luggage. The day before the cruise we went across the street to a grocery store and bought margarita mix, case of water, pineapple juices..etc. The case of water we put a cruise luggage tag on. I also saw cases of beer and soda with cruise luggage tags on them. A couple in front of us while we were going through the lines, had a case of wine all taped up. It went through security just fine and onto the ship just fine. I am sure it was heavy.

However, after stopping at the ports, when I went through security to get back on the ship I did see boxes of liquor all stacked up in a pile that was purchased off the ship. These are those white boxes that the stores pack up for you to travel with. I had some caribbean rum that I purchased and it was in a bag, it went through the metal detector and I picked it up and carried it back to my cabin.. soooooooo it seems like the liquor that is packed in boxes was being held until the final night of the cruise.

Ah yes.. and I took my Magic Bullet Blender and made some wonderfully tropical cocktails. We were traveling with a group of 12. Hope this helps.

Big enough, yes, cold enough, eh, not so much:o Worked better to ice water down a bottle for a couple hours then stick it in the fridge to maintain a cooler temp, vs trying to do all the cooling via fridge.....We only did a couple whites; mostly we had reds. It's easier!

Forgot to add to your question/answer.. Our fridge.. never seemed to get cold enough either, but we had a small rolling ice chest that our room steward keep full of ice and it was great to return to the cabin and have some really cold bottled water to drink.

• 4 weeks later...
When you bring wine aboard, can you take it to the dinning room? What is the corkage fee?

Thx!

Yes, you can take it to the dining room. Whether you are charged the $15 corkage fee or not depends on your waiter. When we brought wine that was available on board, we were not charged corkage. On our most recent cruise however, our waiter asked us where we got our wine. I jokingly stated "ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies". I was not charged. Later on in the cruise he stated "I know you brought this on board so I have to charge corkage". After that we brought large glasses which we had poured in our staterooms. On the last night (tip night!) we brought our last remaining bottle and were not charged corkage. Too late for him though as we had already adjusted our extra tip accordingly. No, we didn't stiff him; we just didn't tip him as much extra as we do those waiters who provide exceptional service. Bon Voyage!

Just off the Diamond Princess - we brought 4 bottles of wine in our carry on with no problem. The Patter simpy says the traditional "we ask that you not bring any alcohol other than wine or champagne..."

We kept those bottles for the cabin, so corkage wasn't an issue.

Archived