Transatlantic Crossings Remembered..."the Only Way To Cross".

Matsonbrat, great picture of the Ile de France. She was one of those magical names I remember as a kid...the Ile de France comes to the aid of the Andrea Doria. The other one I remember is the Flying Enterprise and Captain Kurt Carleson. She wasn't a liner but still a big maritime story of the era.

HI MATSON!!!

Great shot of the ILE DE FRANCE. She was much loved by many. Ships are almost like living creatures...they develop personalities...some ships develop "extreme cachet"...the ILE was one of these...she ranked with the NORMANDIE and the QUEEN MARY when it came to cachet. I have a post card in my CGT collection...the person writing the post card is onboard the ILE DE FRANCE...in 1957. He says tha..."the ship is getting old but the atmosphere is still wonderful". I have to believe he was on her many times over the years. THE LAST VOYAGE...was a real clunker of a movie...but some of the shots of the ILE were just super. The movie was shot in the Sea of Japan...and the ship was partially sunk in order to get the shots. The French Line was absolutely furious that this happened to the ILE DE FRANCE.

HI STACEY!!! You can see the LIBERTY OF THE SEAS on Friday...she will be in from Europe...fresh from the builders. I have to tell you...standing in the Observation Lounge and looking forward is like being on the con on an air craft carrier...the view forward is nothing but ship...simply astounding.

ROSS

HI MATSON!!!

Great shot of the ILE DE FRANCE. She was much loved by many. Ships are almost like living creatures...they develop personalities...some ships develop "extreme cachet"...the ILE was one of these...she ranked with the NORMANDIE and the QUEEN MARY when it came to cachet. I have a post card in my CGT collection...the person writing the post card is onboard the ILE DE FRANCE...in 1957. He says tha..."the ship is getting old but the atmosphere is still wonderful". I have to believe he was on her many times over the years. THE LAST VOYAGE...was a real clunker of a movie...but some of the shots of the ILE were just super. The movie was shot in the Sea of Japan...and the ship was partially sunk in order to get the shots. The French Line was absolutely furious that this happened to the ILE DE FRANCE.

HI STACEY!!! You can see the LIBERTY OF THE SEAS on Friday...she will be in from Europe...fresh from the builders. I have to tell you...standing in the Observation Lounge and looking forward is like being on the con on an air craft carrier...the view forward is nothing but ship...simply astounding.

ROSS

It is already at Bayonne!!! They showed it on GMA this morning....

OMG!!! You didnt hear me screaming and see me jumping up & down?

I actually only saw a piece on GMA I immediately turned to call my husband at the office!! Of all days.. I have a meeting smack dab in the middle of the day @ 2pm!! Or Id drive over, it's only about 40 minutes from me.

The only shot I saw was from overhead from a copter & the ship looked ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!!!

I'm not sure how to copy a link but try this web address. I found it on another thread and it was so appropriate for our topic that I copied it over. If you are interested in the SS United States this video is terrific:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5o8xlVhN4E

I enjoyed that immensely with my morning (first) cup of coffee!

Morningcoffee.gif

Ahhhhh to see "Bon Voyage" and streamers and ladies wearing scarves to keep their hair in place (geee-- they had something good going there!!).

Kids laughing and adults playing games!! Ahhhhhh, so nice!! I will watch again, but this time to mostly look at the VZ bridge again- not complete.

Wow...........

Thanks For Posting!!!

It was really close to what my first cruise experiences were like. I can almost see my wife wearing one of those scarves when we met on the Bremen.

Did you notice the sleek lines of that greyhound of the Atlantic? What a low profile she had compared to the tenders, nothing like the slab sided cruise ships of today. One clip showing the United States underway and throwing up a rooster tail in her wake which is testament to the speed of the ship that still holds the Atlantic crossing record.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello CGT " NORMANDIE " !!!

What a " Great name " ... for the " MOST BEAUTIFUL SHIP EVER BUILD " :)

Here 3 photos from le Havre 1937 West Bound of : s/s NORMANDIE

And " Merci " to Chasetf for the photos of s/s FRANCE ;)

In France , bizary it' s very dificult to found photos of s/s FRANCE or s/s NORWAY :mad: My first " Transatlantic " was on board s/s Norway 10 years ago , of the classic route : LE HAVRE - SOUTHAMPTON - NEW YORK !

NORM1.jpg.7bd0e1e23be1f53b744d1c5013bbfa54.jpg

NORM2.jpg.4ad33656ca9e428f7a35d55e9318a48c.jpg

NORM5.jpg.9bd9b2131390690be59e2f15d1b7ea4c.jpg

Merci TDM99. Great pictures. I even liked the the harbor craft that was incidentally in one of the pictures. The Normandie was certainly a classic. You can see similarity in the design of the up swept bow section with the France/Norway. We sailed the Norway once but not on a crossing.

BON JOUR TDM99!!!

How nice to hear from you!!! Where did you get the photos of La Belle NORMANDIE??? They are beautiful and I do not recall seeing them before. Do you live near Le Havre???

It is most unfortunate...but there are very few photos of the NORMANDIE. There are very few photos of her gorgeous interiors...especially color photos...unfortunately...it is sad. Nobody ever published a complete color study of the NORMANDIE...the most beautiful ship ever built. She even looked like a graceful ocean racer.

I made 2 crossings on the SS FRANCE and I was lucky enough to sail on her again when she was the NORWAY. She was a remarkable ship...a real beauty. I was very lucky to have been able to experience the deluxe atmosphere of the CGT. We miss the CGT so much!!!

I will be in Le Havre this October!!!

MERCI BEAUCOUP!!!:D

ROSS...CGTNORMANDIE

• 1 month later...
The stewards would walk around with a hand held gong and announce the departure. "All ashore who are going ashore".

One of my major memories of my first crossing on the Raffaello was the Italian version of the above: "Attenzione, attenzione, prego! I signori visitatori sono gentilemente pregati di scendere a terra. La nave è in partenza". The ship left at 11AM, whereas now, it seems most leave around 5-6PM.

What fond memories this thread brings back. DH and I crossed over on the Carmania (Cunard) in September 1965. It was quite an event. Visitors could come aboard and, I'm sure, we had more than 50 friends present. I was pregnant at the time and was scheduled to give birth in France so our friends threw us a baby shower.

The Atlantic decided to act up. They tied down some of the chairs in the dining room. We didn't have a bathroom in our stateroom but there were bathrooms on the deck with butlers to draw the water. My dad had lent me his old steamer trunk ; it was an absolutely marvelous crossing. Funny thing is, most people were seasick. Despite my pregnancy I felt fine all the time and danced the night away with a few of other hearty old salts.

Neither DH nor I remember if there were any shows; guess we weretoo busy dancing or otherwise engaged.....

Just found this thread.. My most recent transatlantic voyage was the MS Mikhail Lermontov, NY - Tilbury, in the fall of 1979. We were moving from the USA to the UK, and the fare was very inexpensive, plus you could ship a lot of luggage free of charge, unlike flying.

There was no private bathroom - just a shower and toilet down the corridor. Food was basic but pretty tasty, as I remember. In the bars, you could get a really extra-tasty kind of Guinness Stout, brewed specially for ocean liners. It had a dark blue label; anyone else remember this? The ship was not old (built in 1972, I think) but it had the look and feel of the pre-war liners. It was built in East Germany. The passengers were of three general categories;

1. Regular US or West European travellers, like us.

2. Ordinary Soviet citizens, probably travelling abroad for the first time, going home from visiting family in the US.

3. Soviet diplomats and KGB operatives etc - obviously the onboard aristocracy.

We didn't know it at the time, but our sailing was the last transatlantic sailing. During our crossing, the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, and the USA withdrew the rights to the route, as a punishment. The Mikhail Lermontov was lost off New Zealand a few years later during a cruise.

HI GANG!!!

Just mentioning the OCEANIC gives me a warm feeling all over. I loved that ship but never sailed on her. I was able to have dinner on her one night...and we explored everywhere we could. I even went up into the Suites...which were the first suites built with outside open verandas.

CGTNORMANDIE, Shame on you! The first ship with suites with outside open verandas was the NORMANDIE! There were 2 of them, aft on the top deck.

On the end of this page ( of " ALL " they videos of : s/s FRANCE - NORWAY - BLUE LADY ! ) you have they " 2 LAST " videos from ... ALANG :eek:

http://www.revedefrance.com/pageprincipale11.htm

Reve de France is the " Best Web Site " ( with Captains Voyage ) of the : FRANCE -NORWAY in the World :) With many , many photos :D

And tomorow is " another " final decision of the " Future " of this Ship :(

Noel

I think they started long before the Normandie. The Titanic had at least two, one of which was shown in the movie. Movies aren't the best historical resource so I was convinced it was just Hollywood until I took a close look at my reference book on the Titanic and low and behold they were on the deck plan.

Deep Water Mariner, You are correct that there were open air verandas on the Titanic and on her earlier sister ship, Olympic. I understood GCT Normandie's post to refer to private, outside, uncovered decks. The Normandie was the first ship to have these.

One of my major memories of my first crossing on the Raffaello was the Italian version of the above: "Attenzione, attenzione, prego! I signori visitatori sono gentilemente pregati di scendere a terra. La nave è in partenza". The ship left at 11AM, whereas now, it seems most leave around 5-6PM.

YES...and then the Italian steward would announce (in a thick Italian accent)..."THE SHEEP ISS LEEVING"!!! LOL!!!:D

HI GANG!!!

Just mentioning the OCEANIC gives me a warm feeling all over. I loved that ship but never sailed on her. I was able to have dinner on her one night...and we explored everywhere we could. I even went up into the Suites...which were the first suites built with outside open verandas.

CGTNORMANDIE, Shame on you! The first ship with suites with outside open verandas was the NORMANDIE! There were 2 of them, aft on the top deck.

HI JDRMYS!!! You are technically correct...but...the OCEANIC was the first purpose built cruise ship to have the open verandas on their suites. There were some ships built in the 1930's that had verandas...but they were liners built for crossings. I am very familiar with the 2 suites you mentioned onboard NORMANDIE. They were spectacular and they did open out onto a broad veranda that was shared by the 2 suites. Now I will have to look up the names of those suites...as you have got me thinking...LOL.:D

ROSS

I think they started long before the Normandie. The Titanic had at least two, one of which was shown in the movie. Movies aren't the best historical resource so I was convinced it was just Hollywood until I took a close look at my reference book on the Titanic and low and behold they were on the deck plan.

YES...there were private verandas on the TITANIC. The private verandas on the TITANIC were enclosed.

ROSS

Just found this thread.. My most recent transatlantic voyage was the MS Mikhail Lermontov, NY - Tilbury, in the fall of 1979. We were moving from the USA to the UK, and the fare was very inexpensive, plus you could ship a lot of luggage free of charge, unlike flying.

There was no private bathroom - just a shower and toilet down the corridor. Food was basic but pretty tasty, as I remember. In the bars, you could get a really extra-tasty kind of Guinness Stout, brewed specially for ocean liners. It had a dark blue label; anyone else remember this? The ship was not old (built in 1972, I think) but it had the look and feel of the pre-war liners. It was built in East Germany. The passengers were of three general categories;

1. Regular US or West European travellers, like us.

2. Ordinary Soviet citizens, probably travelling abroad for the first time, going home from visiting family in the US.

3. Soviet diplomats and KGB operatives etc - obviously the onboard aristocracy.

We didn't know it at the time, but our sailing was the last transatlantic sailing. During our crossing, the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, and the USA withdrew the rights to the route, as a punishment. The Mikhail Lermontov was lost off New Zealand a few years later during a cruise.

I remember the MIKAIL LERMONTOV very well. I saw here one night in Boston. She had come through on a cruise. There were KGB operatives assigned onboard that ship...all the time. It was very hard to believe that ship sank!!!

ROSS

We missed the "Golden Age". We are, however, doing our best to relive it within our budgetary constraints.

Doc:D

HI DOC!!!

I hear you...we really limit our cruising to once a year...still not retired...and if the stock market doesn't get better...we never will retire...LOL!!! But...we do try to book a suite when we do go. NO...it is not the same but there are still elements that are wonderful reminders of what was. We will be on the JEWEL OF THE SEAS this October for a Southern Transatlantic Crossing. One of the people we are going with has been sailing since the 1930's...when she was 6 years old. We sit around and trade memories...LOL.

ROSS

• 3 months later...

HI "SullaRaffaello",

I have fond memories of that statement having heard it many times. My sister and I used to chuckle at the English translation, particularly at the end when he said "the sheep is about to sail"!

Do you remember the chimes before an announcement? I heard something like that a few years ago and I had this flashback to being on the ship hearing the announcement that dinner is served.

How I miss those days! :(

Archived