Favorite ship?

skempner

I have to agree, Why are so many so dead set against the Vista Class yet my bets is they have never set foot on one? Is it just a preconceived idea that they are sure they will hate them? While I really like both the S and R class ship and would probably love the Prinsendam I really like the Vista Class especially the Oosterdam. The Oosterdam was not our first Vista Class ship but the minute we walked on board we just felt that "at home feeling" I really think that many of you who have nevered tried a Vista Class ship should, you might be very surprised.;)

The Plummer said it best:)

As the saying goes, "it's the people that make a house a home". Well it's the crew that makes the Oosterdam feel like home (even better).

Oh yes, Lisa. I agree that HAL really is all about the people.

But I also feel ships have personalities. They do not all feel the same.....to me. We've had fun and enjoyed cruises, liked the crew, gotten off a ship at the end of a cruise perfectly happy but didn't feel 'compelled to return'. We feel that strong draw from Maasdam and Noordam. Those ships 'speak to us'. Those two ships feel different than the rest. Not to say we don't think Rotterdam very beautiful; and we think Volendam elegant and wonderful. We have memories of incredible cruises on Zaandam and Zuiderdam and we treasure them.

But Maasdam and Noordam are special......very, very special.

I have the distinct impression Oosterdam 'speaks to you' in that way. :)

JUST Curious......

Have you actually been aboard a Vista? Seen one? Viewed the gorgeous Noordam? Of course it's your choice whether you wish to sail one or not.....but I do wonder if you dislike them so strongly sight unseen?

Thanks if you care to comment.......certainly no need to. :)

:p:D I, for one, have seen a Vista...We were in Rotterdam and on the Rotterdam when the Oosterdam was launched....Too big, too many people and the suites were not as big .....Give me the R,S and P class ships....;) ;)

I have the distinct impression Oosterdam 'speaks to you' in that way. :)

Sail, you are definitely correct. There is just that very special feel. but I will also say that I too felt it on the Maasdam. I would say of the 3 S class we have been on the Maasdam had that feel far more than the others. Unfortunately she is not as close to land home as you have her;)

We are so appreciative HAL chose to move her to Boston so she could spend her spring, summer, fall with us....or at least a good part of it.

For those who think HAL isn't caring....here's the proof. They know how much we love that 'dam' ship so they brought her north and let us bring her home. Now THAT is a thoughtful gesture from a large corporation if I ever saw one. :D (I'm sure they did it just For US!!@!! 'Ya think? ) :D

Too bad we live slightly inland.... we are only a few miles from the coast. If we lived on the harbor, maybe Captain wouldn't mind coming to pick us up ;) .....save us the 30 minute car ride to Black Falcon.

When I first sailed the Zuiderdam, a vista, after being on the Statendam, Veendam, and the Rotterdam(which I loved) I felt the Z was very big and I kept getting lost. I also thought her a bit too glitzy for my taste. Then, I sailed her a second time and began to know where everything was. When going on the Noordam, I felt I had come home. I knew where everything was and just loved her majestic feel. The smaller ships are of course more intimate, but I just love the Noordam....no small thing that I didn't have to fly to board her.:)

Too bad we live slightly inland.... we are only a few miles from the coast. If we lived on the harbor, maybe Captain wouldn't mind coming to pick us up ;) .....save us the 30 minute car ride to Black Falcon.

Sail:why not write Seattle and ask .. the worst Stein could do would be to say "no":)

For HAL ships (thus far):

#1 Maasdam

#2 Volendam

#3 Westerdam

#4 Zuiderdam

#5 Veendam

Celebrity is still our cruise line of choice, but we will cruise many more Holland American ships!:) Damright!

Kel

I have to agree, Why are so many so dead set against the Vista Class yet my bets is they have never set foot on one? Is it just a preconceived idea that they are sure they will hate them?

As William James said: "A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices." ;)

While Prinsendam remains my #1 choice, I'd pick Oosterdam as #2. The top 5, in face, would be:

1) Prinsendam

2) Oosterdam

3) Renaissance R7

4) Renaissance R2

5) Nieuw Amsterdam

JUST Curious......

Have you actually been aboard a Vista? Seen one? Viewed the gorgeous Noordam? Of course it's your choice whether you wish to sail one or not.....but I do wonder if you dislike them so strongly sight unseen?

Thanks if you care to comment.......certainly no need to. :)

We had sailed on the Zunderdam during it's maiden Caribbean voyage and again recently on it's repositioning cruise from San Francisco via the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale. We have also been on the Oosterdam.

We do not like the layout of the Vista Class Ships - The Lido (Too main separate stations one must negotiate each meal), main Dining Room (Lack of separate tables for two - most are stacked on top of a table for four AND overworked staff have more tables, therefore less attention to each passenger) and finally and mainly the lack of a dedicated Movie Theatre (The Bar that they show the movies in is small, and extremely uncomfortable and difficult to see the movie). We had a Suite on our last 18 day cruise, and the voyage/service was outstanding as always.

Since the 80's we have been on sixteen or seventeen HAL cruises and only take the Vista Class ships when absolutely necessary - Location/Itinerary.

I think that the rather large variety in "favorites" speaks well for HAL.

We have enjoyed all of the HAL ships that we have sailed. I personally happen to favor R-class over the Vista-class, but have had positive experiences on both.

:) :rolleyes:

Caribbean Girl,

I really wish I could help you re: The H cabins but I've never seen one. If you think of any other Maasdam ??, hopefully I can be of more help than on this question.

Maasdam is such a beautifully elegant ship IMO with an amazing crew. We simply cannot get enough of sailing her. The feeling we get when we cross the gangway at the start of each Maasdam cruise is not describable. We know we are 'home'. She never disappoints.

Thanks for the response. I suspected you might not have much to say about the 'cheap seats':rolleyes: we're looking at. We were on Maasdam a couple of years ago but not in this cat. cabin. I appreciate your offer re: other questions, though, since you seem to be the resident authority.:)

I have to agree, Why are so many so dead set against the Vista Class yet my bets is they have never set foot on one? Is it just a preconceived idea that they are sure they will hate them? While I really like both the S and R class ship and would probably love the Prinsendam I really like the Vista Class especially the Oosterdam. The Oosterdam was not our first Vista Class ship but the minute we walked on board we just felt that "at home feeling" I really think that many of you who have nevered tried a Vista Class ship should, you might be very surprised.;) The Plummer said it best:)

Sorry but you lose your Bet! Why would you assume that those of us who state we do not like the Vista Ships have never been aboard one, and have pre-conceived ideas? This statement is pre-conceived! We've been on 6 HAL ships & still enjoy the smaller ones..

Did a Trans Atlantic on the Westerdam in 2004 & although we've never had a bad cruise, the service was not up to par.. Of all our cruises, the service on the Westerdam was not consistant with the Normal HAL excellent service..

Six of us were at the 8: P.M. upper seating, at a table against the rail.. It was so crowded that the Waiters could not get behind us to serve the meals & clear away our dishes.. In order to get into our seats we had to ask the people at the table next to us to pull in so we could get by them..The staff was over worked & it was a long time between courses...The 8:30 seating in the lower dining room were served & finished dinner before us..The service was awful ! After five days of such poor service, we all requested to be moved to lower 8:30 seating..The Matre d' was delighted to move us..The six of us had a table for eight..We then had the wonderful HAL service that we've always had...

In addition when it came time for disembark in ports it was over whelming..Could not stand the crowds of pushy people who would not let us get back to our cabins & blocked the stairwells when disembarking...Our final disembarkation in FLL was horrendous! It took the six of us several hours to find all of our bags...They were all over the place..

We all said that 1800 plus psgrs is too many for us!:(

Betty

.........In addition when it came time for disembark in ports it was over whelming..Could not stand the crowds of pushy people who would not let us get back to our cabins & blocked the stairwells when disembarking...Our final disembarkation in FLL was horrendous! It took the six of us several hours to find all of our bags...They were all over the place..

We all said that 1800 plus psgrs is too many for us!:(

Betty

We had that same "spectacle":rolleyes: on Ryndam a couple of weeks ago, despite several P.A. announcements from the C/D not to do it. Why do some people think that by "camping" out in the area in front of the gangway and on the adjoining stairwells on disembarkation day, they will get off the ship faster?

Sorry but you lose your Bet! Why would you assume that those of us who state we do not like the Vista Ships have never been aboard one, and have pre-conceived ideas? This statement is pre-conceived! We've been on 6 HAL ships & still enjoy the smaller ones..

My assumption is based on numerous comments made daily on this board not just on this thread, of those that absolutely do not want to be on LARGE ships. On this thread alone I found a possible 3 to 4 that have never actually sailed on a Vista but are sure they hate them. One postered admitted he had only seen this ship and it was too big. Also I was not the only one who posted here that noticed this as well.

I have to agree with John, some of the worst crowds and crowd problems I have had were on the S class ships. The worst is getting into dinner unless you want to go late and then waiting to get off the ship in port. I have yet to have any crowd problems on a Vista Class ship.

But Betty in all fairness I think this discussion needs to be dropped this thread was not started to be a "My ship is better than your ship" type of thread. If someone is convinced they do not like something in most cases they will not.

I've answered this kind of question before on a different thread (about half a month back). On reviewing that response, I find my rankings and reasoning unchanged. Personally, I rank those ships I've cruised aboard as follows (in order of preference):

Volendam - R (Gotta lover her flower theme, and the Warp Core in the Atrium is groovy!)

Statendam - S (ADORE her smaller size and Van Gogh Starry Night motif)

Noordam - Vista (No remark needed ... oh, heck, I'll say it ... she's grand)

Ryndam - S (I love her relaxing color scheme)

Maasdam - S (Her green DNA in the Atrium isn't as pretty as the fountains aboard the Ryndam and Statendam)

Zaandam - R (I rank her this low only because I don't like the Atrium Organ, otherwise she'd be ahead of the Maasdam)

Oosterdam - Vista (She's great, but some ship has to be second-to-last)

Westerdam - Vista (I don't dislike her ... it's just that some ship has to be last)

For me, the differences in preference often have more to do with issues of decor than size. In terms of size I prefer the Rs, in terms of passenger numbers I prefer the S ships, in terms of logistics relative to public deck layouts I prefer the Vistas. On ALL the Damships I've found the gracious service I've come to expect from HAL, though I must say that the crews on the Noordam and the Volendam were always an extra treat.

Oh, heck, any Damship will do!!!!!

Archived