Sailaway?

mueller74us

Allow me to preface my question by stating that I am not as "out there" as my question might cause me to appear!

That being said......

I will be on the Carnival Destiny soon. Do they have a departure ritual a la LOVE BOAT? ....streamers, people hollering on the deck, "horn" honking?

Embarrasingly yours,

Jennifer

Depending on how close the cars are, there will be honking and people waving. It's pretty cool. There's usually island music playing and everyone has a drink in their hand. Pulling away from the docks is one of the most exciting parts (for us). It means all the planning and stressing over every detail is over with and it's time to just relax and have a great time.

I will never, ever forget sailaway on our first cruise. It was the first time DH and I ever left our kids (they were 7&9 at the time). We stood on that day, the sun was shining, going down the channel, and the horn blew, LOUDLY. It was one of the best feelings in the world, knowing we had an entire week to ourselves, and were heading out to sea. The people on land down the whole channel would come out and wave goodbye to the ship. You'll LOVE it!

Yep, there's no feeling like it! No more streamers or confetti, but when that horn blows, WHOA, it gives me goosebumps and brings a tear to the eye. It means we're finally on our way and all the hassles are left behind!

And mueller74us, welcome to Cruise Critic! We're practically neighbors!

Allow me to preface my question by stating that I am not as "out there" as my question might cause me to appear!

That being said......

I will be on the Carnival Destiny soon. Do they have a departure ritual a la LOVE BOAT? ....streamers, people hollering on the deck, "horn" honking?

Embarrasingly yours,

Jennifer

Jennifer, guess we're not practically neighbors but real neighbors!:D DH, Gwynn, and I sailed with Popcorn Gal and her DH, Jack, in January on the Carnival Legend. First time the four of us had met even though we live within a 30 - 40 minute drive from each other. Had a great cruise and Popcorn Gal is right, there's nothing like hearing the ship's whistle and horn as the ship leaves the dock.

Are you enrolled on a roll call for your cruise on these boards? If not, check out Carnival roll calls asap and find the roll call for your cruise. That's how we first met Popcorn gal prior to our cruise. Felt great to finally meet each other at CMH the day we flew off to Ft. Lauderdale on the same flight. We had ``talked'' to each other on the internet for months prior to that.

By the time we all met up for sail away on the ship we all felt like we'd known each other for years, if not just months.

Have a great time on your cruise. DH & I sail again in less than 2 weeks and can't wait to hear the ship's horn sounding again.

Dianne

I like this thread.... it's bringing up memories from our cruise on the Legend 4/1.... it was our daughters first cruise (4 1/2yrs old) and I loved experiencing everything thru her.:D

Sail away was wonderful.. I could breath a sigh of relief after a stressful travel morning... Next time we will definitely arrive the day before our cruise.

Dianne, you ole sweet talker you! :D

But what she says is true. Be sure and join in on the roll call for your sailing. I feel like we made wonderful friends in Dianne and her DH. It's great to be able to walk on that ship and feel like you're meeting friends you've known for years! Heck, I even had someone come up to me out of the blue and say "You must be popcorngal! I've been a lurker on your roll call for months, and feel like I know you!"

Dianne, you're a short timer again....lucky dog!:p

Yes, Ellen, we're short timers again and loving every minute of it. Wish you and Jack were sailing with us. Heck, wish we were all back on the Legend again. Gwynn & I regard that as one of our favorite cruises. We had quite a great group on that sailing.:cool:

Dianne

Dianne, I wish we were going with you too, but now that the weather's improving, we're starting to get really busy at the shop. We're still hoping you and Gwynn can join us on the Miracle!

4Cruisers, I'd feel cheated too! I even caught the ship's horn on our video last year, and it sends chills every single time I watch it!

I've been on cruises were they didn't even blow the horn. More than one, we didn't even realize we were leaning. Looked at the water to see if we were, than yes we are well maybe not, yep we are. So, it depends and than there was the time we were still in our livejackets doing the drill.:(

Out of all the ports I have sailed out of, Sailing out of Miami is the best. The weather is great and the view of the homes and South Beach as the ship departs. You will see a few accidents on MacArthur Cswy as they start to honk their horns and wave at you as the ship starts to move. Helicopers and Seaplanes fly right by the ship. There are more people up on deck while sailing out of Miami and everyone seems to be in a cheerful spirits.

Fred

At each port you leave everyone on each of the ships waves to each other and on one ship some of the crew members had a giant hand they waved, it was pretty cute. Sailing out of FL felt kinda slow, I think sailing into the different ports early in the morning was cooler than sailing out of FL.

Fred, glad to hear Miami is the best since we will be sailing out of there in....let's see....3 DAYS:D Woo hoo! Where is the best place to be for sailaway in Miami? I know they go up, turn around and go back to get out. I was thinking maybe far forward at one of those decks or on the aft deck, hoping to have views from both sides.

Archived