Buyer Beware

I'm not trying to blast Royal Caribbean, but I want to share what I just experienced. I had made reservations on a Sep 14 sailing on the Monarch to Ensenada Mexico. I received a call from Customer Service telling me that we needed to rebook our cruise because our sailing had been chartered by a group. What group? I don't know because they wouldn't tell me. What if I had made airline reservations? Well, RCCL would reimburse me for the cost to reschedule the flight. Not a problem since I live in Southern California. But, what about our friends that have already made hotel reservations in Ensenada so they could be there when we arrived in port? Well, too bad I was told, there is nothing RCCL could do about that. They did offer a $100 per stateroom on board credit for the inconvenience--how nice, right? Well, I did rebook for a different date but I think it is unforgiveable that you "reservation" can simply be changed because of a group charter. On top of that I needed an accessible cabin for my 83 year old mother and I needed to be in the cabin next to or reasonable close to her's. The new date I selected did offer that option so I told the customer service rep that I thought she should "bump" the people in the cabin next to the accessible cabin they would put my mother in. After a few minutes on hold some how the adjoining cabin became available. Unfortunately, I imagine someone else has now been bumped due to our misfortune of originally booking the Sept 14 cruise. I'm certainly not complaining because we will be able to sail to the destination we wanted and have the cabins we requested, but obviously a "reservation" means nothing to Royal Caribbean.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I guess money talks. Must have been an awfully large group to charter the entire ship. It's guaranteed $ for RCCL! Nevertheless, it sounds like it did work out for you and your mom in the end. Have a great time on your cruise!

As stated above this can happen on any cruise line and it does from time to time. About your friends booked in a hotel, that is not a cruise line issue. They have nothing to do with this reservation. Each and every cruise line makes it clear in their brochures that they have the right to cancel your reservation in the event of a full ship charter. I am glad that you were able to rebook.

I'm not trying to blast Royal Caribbean,
If that is not a blast at RC

I'm certainly not complaining because we will be able to sail to the destination we wanted and have the cabins we requested, but obviously a "reservation" means nothing to Royal Caribbean.
and this is not a complaint, I would not want to be around if you really did have a complaint!!!!!:eek:

Unfortunately, I imagine someone else has now been bumped due to our misfortune of originally booking the Sept 14 cruise.

So THAT is how people end up with mysterious upgrades!!!??!!

I'm sorry that your cruise was chartered out from under you. Just this year I learned this could happen, with very large groups booking the entire ship. I wish they could only do that for just-released sailings with no one on them already, but now I know!

And yeah, I've heard that all of the lines do it...

I hope you have a good cruise, and that it turns into something even better than what it was going to be!

And if you were on the ship with a large group you would not have been happy, so be thankful for that!:rolleyes:

Good point!! We cruised with a large group and they took over pretty much everything!! We never did get to visit several areas of the ship :mad: I'll stop there since I don't want to be bashed once again :eek: ;)

###

This happens a lot more often than you realize. RCCL did everything correctly and they made sure that you lost no money plus got an OBC. You came out of this great!

Good job on the way thei was handled RCCL.

Money talks! If a large group is willing to fill a ship that hasn't been filled, well, the cruiseline is going to book it! If it was your profit on the line, you would do the same! At least it was far enough in advance for you to rearrange things! It's frustrating, tho. I've had entire flights cancelled because the plane wasn't full enough. (They just can't stand you having extra leg or elbow room!!!) It all comes down to dollars.

Note that the reservation receipt you get from RC basically says near the bottom that nothing is guarranteed until full payment. Deposit holds it for you, but anything can happen until full payment is made. I guess if you made full payment and they wanted to bump you, then you'd really have gotten a major upgrade!

I think it is treating their customers disrespectful. I would think there would be a way to handle it better. It is much higher on the hassle facter than $100 OBC....I think if RCCL is going to do this, they really need to come up with a better offer.

I'm now in a situation where I have booked and they have decided to dry dock. Don't you think they knew this months earlier? They have not even contacted us yet (I've known about it a couple weeks now)...if it wasn't for CC I would not even know yet. We have a group of 10...have you ever tried to pick a cruise and date for a group of 10?....and two of us have already booked flights.

I know the ships have to go into dry dock, but if it's just routine, wouldn't you think that could be planned as far out as they allow you to book reservations. Also, once they know, don't you think they should contact you within a week? Think about those who don't go to the CC boards. They don't even know yet.

The other RCCL cruise we were thinking about is now $100 more per person. So if they offer $100 OBC...that is no deal...it's the same price that others paid just a couple weeks ago....when we originally booked the dry dock cruise.

Go ahead and flame....I'm honestly tired of the loyal RCCL people constantly making excuses for them.

I think it is treating their customers disrespectful. I would think there would be a way to handle it better. It is much higher on the hassle facter than $100 OBC....I think if RCCL is going to do this, they really need to come up with a better offer.

I'm now in a situation where I have booked and they have decided to dry dock. Don't you think they knew this months earlier? They have not even contacted us yet (I've known about it a couple weeks now)...if it wasn't for CC I would not even know yet. We have a group of 10...have you ever tried to pick a cruise and date for a group of 10?....and two of us have already booked flights.

I know the ships have to go into dry dock, but if it's just routine, wouldn't you think that could be planned as far out as they allow you to book reservations. Also, once they know, don't you think they should contact you within a week? Think about those who don't go to the CC boards. They don't even know yet.

The other RCCL cruise we were thinking about is now $100 more per person. So if they offer $100 OBC...that is no deal...it's the same price that others paid just a couple weeks ago....when we originally booked the dry dock cruise.

Go ahead and flame....I'm honestly tired of the loyal RCCL people constantly making excuses for them.

Who's making excuses? Folks are just stating the facts. What RCI is doing here is nothing different that any other cruise line. Just last month on the Carnival board two different ships had cruises canceled due to dry docks. The cruise lines have to move when space becomes available at the facilities. Looking at your CC join date makes me believe that you have been on these boards long enough to know that this can happen as this subject comes up several times a year. I know that it can be disappointing when it happens but that is the way that the cruise lines run their business.

I have had two cruises cancelled............not for groups but cancelled none the less........

I think RC could probably handle these situations a little better.......but having said that, I'm not sure what or how it would be done........

Most of the time, I KNOW of a cancellation before my TA due to cruise critic..........but I forget not everyone, in fact probably 90% of any given cruisers have never heard of CC.........I guess it would be a shock to one day get a call from your TA that says............Sorry Jim Bob.........your cruise has just been cancelled........

but again, that aside..........I'm not sure how else it could be handeled.

Sometimes they don't know if a dry dock is scheduled...........In 2005 one of the Infinity Hawaii sailings was cancelled 3 days before sailing due to contined pod problems.........they do know in most cases.........

As my previous post said..........I do believe they can "try" to handle things better.........sometimes it is the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and there is sometimes a lack of communication before it reaches you............I'm just not sure how or what else they can do other than keep trying to improve.

lmmm- since you know in advance of rci 's call about the drydock/cancelled cruise, have you and your group of 10 decided on a new cruise yet? at least now, when they call, you should have a new date picked out and be ready to go with all of that- maybe since you saw the cruise at 100 pp less a couple weeks ago, they will give you that price and 100 obc.....could not hurt to ask- good luck-

I have specific ways they could handle it better:

Call the people booked on the cruise immediately...not weeks or months later.

They could offer cabin upgrade.

If you have to change cruise, they should honor whatever the price that cruise was the day you booked cancelled cruise.

If they offer the above, $100 OBC would be appropriate...and reimbursement of flight changes, which they typically offer is also appropriate.

lmmm- since you know in advance of rci 's call about the drydock/cancelled cruise, have you and your group of 10 decided on a new cruise yet? at least now, when they call, you should have a new date picked out and be ready to go with all of that- maybe since you saw the cruise at 100 pp less a couple weeks ago, they will give you that price and 100 obc.....could not hurt to ask- good luck-

Thank you for your nice post....yes, we have picked out a cruise and we are good to go. I will ask about the price...I'm hoping they call soon...lot's of $$$ tied up in deposits.

I'm not trying to blast Royal Caribbean, but I want to share what I just experienced. I had made reservations on a Sep 14 sailing on the Monarch to Ensenada Mexico. I received a call from Customer Service telling me that we needed to rebook our cruise because our sailing had been chartered by a group. What group? I don't know because they wouldn't tell me. What if I had made airline reservations? Well, RCCL would reimburse me for the cost to reschedule the flight. Not a problem since I live in Southern California. But, what about our friends that have already made hotel reservations in Ensenada so they could be there when we arrived in port? Well, too bad I was told, there is nothing RCCL could do about that. They did offer a $100 per stateroom on board credit for the inconvenience--how nice, right? Well, I did rebook for a different date but I think it is unforgiveable that you "reservation" can simply be changed because of a group charter. On top of that I needed an accessible cabin for my 83 year old mother and I needed to be in the cabin next to or reasonable close to her's. The new date I selected did offer that option so I told the customer service rep that I thought she should "bump" the people in the cabin next to the accessible cabin they would put my mother in. After a few minutes on hold some how the adjoining cabin became available. Unfortunately, I imagine someone else has now been bumped due to our misfortune of originally booking the Sept 14 cruise. I'm certainly not complaining because we will be able to sail to the destination we wanted and have the cabins we requested, but obviously a "reservation" means nothing to Royal Caribbean.

Why do you think it's wrong for you to be "bumped" from your cruise but it's okay for you to ask for someone else to be "bumped" from their cabin to accomodate you? It's possible that they selected that particular cabin for a reason - parents wanting to be next to their kids, for example.

I do sympathize with you for getting bumped from your cruise. I wish the cruise line didn't have the right to do that, but they do. I just don't understand you publicly saying that what was done to you was wrong, and in the next breath saying that you asked them to do something similar to someone else. :confused:

I just don't understand you publicly saying that what was done to you was wrong, and in the next breath saying that you asked them to do something similar to someone else. :confused:

And I think that you raise a very good point. I pick my cabins for my reasons. I don't want upgrades. I simply want the cabin that I picked. And I would be pretty perturbed if I was bumped out of it.

Archived