Opinions on date change

southwardbound

An opportunity has arisen that we could change our cruise and land package from a Sept 17 sailing southbound to an August 27 northbound trip. It would cost about $500.00 more but most of that is a room upgrade, some cancellation fees. Same schedule , same ship,same viewing of glaciers from the rooms,same excursions, just doing the cruise first and the land second. We have till Tuesday to make the decision. Any imput would be appreciated.:)

I do like sailing earlier, although, I don't really want to recommend you spend an extra $500. But I have always had far better weather sailing in August compared to the last sailings of August. Daylight is important to me, as I enjoy the scenic sailing. It probably doesn't matter to most people. I also like daytime sailing Inside Vancouver Island, which is only southbound. I had pretty bad weather on my trips in the later timeframe. But there have been reports of better weather the last couple years, but overall those reports on average were atypical.

Going 3 weeks earlier could well get you substantially better weather, going by the historic weather averages. Beyond that, I'm one of the minority who believe that northbounds are better because you see the scenery getting better and better each day.

Murray

we only had one day with rain - that was in Juneau and it didn't affect us at all.... we did whale watching and a helicopter glacier landing with absolutely no problems and didn't get wet.

Would I sail September again - yes BUT, this time we are going in July to maximise Bear viewing excursions.

We made the switch and will be taking the northbound cruise with a portside balcony:) departing Vancouver on 8/27 with an independant land tour afterwards. It ended up not costing us that much to change and we are very happy with our decision. Thank you for the experienced shared here to help us make our decision.:)

we only had one day with rain - that was in Juneau and it didn't affect us at all.... we did whale watching and a helicopter glacier landing with absolutely no problems and didn't get wet.

Would I sail September again - yes BUT, this time we are going in July to maximise Bear viewing excursions.

In July, only Pack Creek and Anan are going to "max" out your bears. Better bear opportunities on Inside Passage is August into first week of Sept.

In July, only Pack Creek and Anan are going to "max" out your bears. Better bear opportunities on Inside Passage is August into first week of Sept.

Sorry BQ my earlier comment was misleading - we are 'maximising' (as best we can with allowed vacation timing) for our overall bear viewing which will include Brooks Falls on our land portion - peak season being July there (I think).... we're also including Anan out of Ketchikan :D :D

I guess I am the oddball here, but IMHO, the land tour should be first ESPECIALLY if you have to go to work when you return home.

Going from place to place, packing and unpacking can be exhausting. No matter where we go, we always do the land portion first. Then we can veg out on the ship and not do anything if we don't want to.

Mid to late September can be cooler and rainy and yes, it could be downright cold, but some years it is simply spectacular. The fall colors are beautiful.

As someone posted on another thread, you are not going to Alaska for sun and the beach. Enjoy!!!!

Archived