hiring a driver for the day

tyson

The Transversal "straight shot across the island road" is now 4 lanes, 2 in each direction till you get to the other side. Then you'll be on the new 2 lane road that parallels the old 2 laner for a short while till you hit Coconuts. Then it's the old road all the way to (almost) the end where the entrance to Punta Sur is located. You pick up the new road again and it curves inland away from the old road but then parallels it again a short while later. No big changes that will get you lost, just a little tricky if you want to get to the Rasta bar or Punta Sur or Playa Palancar off the old road....

Thanks Tom that is great news I have the old map of Coz from 2005 from Cancunmap.com. It was great help for our land vacation in Aug 2005. We stopped in at Paradise Beach that day while we were there. Didnt know which days we were going to Coz so I didnt post on here telling you we were coming. We were all over the place those days but were disappointed we couldnt see more of the East Side. Poor Coz had just had Emily come thru and destroy the road. Was amazing to see just how much damage mother nature can do. We were traveling back to Dallas the day Katrina hit and oh my gosh to see Coz and Cancun and PLaya on the internet after we had just left all those places and all that beauty behind.

I am so glad to be returning even if only for one day this trip. I want to see how our favorite Lil Coz is doing.

Happy Friday All and Happy Cruising :p

Look out Coz we are on our way back!!! ;)

Coconuts is a great location for lunch. Great food, great view, and lots of animals for your kids to look at to stave off boredom! Ask to see the animal "in the back"! http://www.islacozumel.net/food/coconuts/

Skip the San Gervasio ruins and the Tequila distillery tour, I'll bet the 5 y.o. would be bored to tears. Stop at "El Mirador" on the other side of the island, a natural "bridge" rock formation. A good photo op with the waves smashing against it. Do a little beachcombing for shells on that side as well where it is legal to do so...the cabbie will know. Stop at Chen Rio, just south of Coconuts if the kids want to swim with a little wave action. DO NOT swim anywhere else on the East side as the ripcurrents can take you out to sea quite quickly. Chen Rio has a natural half-cove and you can safely swim there, but NOWHERE ELSE ON THE EAST SIDE!!:eek:

Beaches on the west side are best for swimming as there is usually clear blue water and no wave action. Lots of beach clubs to choose from, I'll let you guess which one I recommend;)!

Tom,

Where is the natural bridge rock formation you are talking about? Not sure we have seen that.

Our plan is to hit Chen Rio, Coconuts and Mescalito's (we found this place when not much else was open, the people there were fantastic gotta atleast stop and get a cold one) I know after all that we will stop downtown for a quick shopping trip. Gotta have vanilla (hey its been two years!). Then drop the car and walk the waterfront or stop in to C&C's and see if we know anyone too drunk to walk back, lol.

Tom,

Where is the natural bridge rock formation you are talking about? Not sure we have seen that.

Our plan is to hit Chen Rio, Coconuts and Mescalito's (we found this place when not much else was open, the people there were fantastic gotta atleast stop and get a cold one) I know after all that we will stop downtown for a quick shopping trip. Gotta have vanilla (hey its been two years!). Then drop the car and walk the waterfront or stop in to C&C's and see if we know anyone too drunk to walk back, lol.

I think El Mirador (the natural bridge) is located about half way between playa bonita and rosta's beach club.. South of chen rio, but before the light house..

Yup, sounds right...here's a pic

1342996133057125515S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow Tom,

Thanks for the pic, showed it to DH and the ones from above showing Chen Rio. He is all excited and said it is definitely worth staying sober for the day to take a car around the island, lol. We wanted to see this area so bad in 2005 and now we are super excited to have the opportunity to go back even if its only for a day. I think we will drive all the way around past Punta Sur and come back up the West Coast. If we have time maybe we can stop by and see you. We will be in Coz on 11/9/07 will you be at the beach that day or are you taking vacation during that time?

Thanks for everything I will be lurking around here til time to cruise....

Sheila

• 4 weeks later...

Since I started this thread, I wanted to let everyone know how our day went in Cozumel on July 3. I pre-arranged a tour with Gerardo, an English-speaking taxi driver, to take us to the other side of the island. We enjoyed the tour and feel that we learned a lot about the island from Gerardo. We went to Paradise Beach, El Cedral, the Reggae Beach Bar, El Mirador, and ate at Coconuts. We took some fantastic pictures! If you want to contact him, his e-mail address is cozumeltaxi @ hotmail .com (without the spaces). Since there were only three of us, we were in a car, but he can get a van for larger groups.

Wow Tom,

Thanks for the pic, showed it to DH and the ones from above showing Chen Rio. He is all excited and said it is definitely worth staying sober for the day to take a car around the island, lol. We wanted to see this area so bad in 2005 and now we are super excited to have the opportunity to go back even if its only for a day. I think we will drive all the way around past Punta Sur and come back up the West Coast. If we have time maybe we can stop by and see you. We will be in Coz on 11/9/07 will you be at the beach that day or are you taking vacation during that time?

Thanks for everything I will be lurking around here til time to cruise....

Sheila

OOPS, sorry for the late response, this thread was hiding on me! Glad you're coming back to explore the island again. If DH wants a few adult bevvies, you should hire Gerardo! I should be around in Nov, unless I hit the lottery!:D

Since I started this thread, I wanted to let everyone know how our day went in Cozumel on July 3. I pre-arranged a tour with Gerardo, an English-speaking taxi driver, to take us to the other side of the island. We enjoyed the tour and feel that we learned a lot about the island from Gerardo. We went to Paradise Beach, El Cedral, the Reggae Beach Bar, El Mirador, and ate at Coconuts. We took some fantastic pictures! If you want to contact him, his e-mail address is cozumeltaxi @ hotmail .com (without the spaces). Since there were only three of us, we were in a car, but he can get a van for larger groups.

Good stuff, glad I didn't steer you wrong! Gerry always seemed like a good guy when we've chatted at PB over the years, but I've never taken a tour with him obviously....good to know he provided a good tour for you guys. Was there any problem hooking up with him at the pier or was he fairly obvious with that sign?

Glad it worked out for ya!!!!:D

He had a sign with my name on it, so we found him right away! I felt very comfortable with him from the very beginning and was very glad we had chosen him as our tour guide. Thanks for recommending him, Tom!

He had a sign with my name on it, so we found him right away! I felt very comfortable with him from the very beginning and was very glad we had chosen him as our tour guide. Thanks for recommending him, Tom!

Alright, now I feel much better about recommending him...thanks!

• 2 months later...

I was following this thread too when I was looking for a driver and I also booked with Gerry. He was right there at the exit with a sign with our name on it and he took us everywhere we wanted to go (at least what was open because of Dean damage). He sat with our stuff and PB and did an excellent tour. We liked he so much, we are spending another day with him in January.

• 3 months later...
kenf333

Where in Jax are you from?

We are looking to hire a driver mid January - were you happy with Gerardo those who hired him?

Flemming island area.. Everyone that has used Gerry has been very happy with his service.

Is the e-mail address correct for him? cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com Do you have to put his name on it?

Thanks for all your help.

kenf333 - we live close to the beach. You sound so knowledgeable and when I saw a fellow cruiser from Jax I got very excited! Which line do you cruise - maybe someday we'll be on the same cruise? I have become a cruise addict and my husband is right after me!!!!