Swimming w/Turtles

cruzfiend

We are going to the S. Caribbean in January and my sister wants to swim w/the turtles. How would you rate this excursion, what island did you do the swim on, and would you do it again? Thanks

We swam with the turtles in Barbados several times while on the Silver Moon I & II (a private excursion). It is by far the best. No crowds, limited guests onboard and one of the best days ever in any port. It is even less expensive then the ships excursions and so much nicer!

Has anyone heard of the Silver Moon? I've heard that they're really good and you can book online. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Silver Moon is really one of the greatest excursions we have ever done, anywhere. Makes you almost feel like you are on your own private catamaran with staff onboard. We have sailed the Silver Moon I and Silver Moon II. Both are great but I think we preferred the slightly smaller Silver Moon I .

You must put down a 50% deposit on this when you book, but they are a great company and really work with you if you should arrive to the port late (as happened to us one time).

Online info can be found here: http://oceanadventures.bb/

Or go to the Ports of Call Board here on CC for Barbados, lots of mini reviews of the Silver Moon can be found there.

Has anyone heard of the Silver Moon? I've heard that they're really good and you can book online. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just google "Silver Moon". This is in Barbados. I believe the name of the company is Ocean Adventures. One of the best, if not the best, excursions we have done. Silver Moon I takes only 12 guests. Silver Moon II takes up to 24 guests. We were on Silver Moon I with only 10 people. It was like having your own yacht with a captain and mate who were fantastic. Lunch was served (waiter service) on real China. Great frozen drinks in real glasses. Unbelievably relaxing and interesting seeing lots of the island. Swimming with turtles was easily the highlight of our cruise. We are returning to Barbados in January 2008 and will be going on Silver Moon I again. I believe they only take reservations about 6 months in advance. Cost was around $100pp and they take 50% deposit by credit card, remainder in cash on board.

Please don't swim with turtles that are kept in a pen. They are an animal whose population has declined dramatically in the ast few decades. They should be in the wild, not captured in a pen for entertainment.

If your sister wants to see and swim with sea turtles, you and she should learn to scuba dive and then go see them in the wild. Going on the turtle swim in a pen just encourages more ports to capture turtles (and dolphins and rays).

Virtually every city in the US has scuba certification courses available for a couple hundred dollars. And the experience of seeing turtles, rays, eels, and many other animals in their natural habitat far exceeds a short swim in a pen.

Please don't swim with turtles that are kept in a pen. They are an animal whose population has declined dramatically in the ast few decades. They should be in the wild, not captured in a pen for entertainment.

If your sister wants to see and swim with sea turtles, you and she should learn to scuba dive and then go see them in the wild. Going on the turtle swim in a pen just encourages more ports to capture turtles (and dolphins and rays).

Virtually every city in the US has scuba certification courses available for a couple hundred dollars. And the experience of seeing turtles, rays, eels, and many other animals in their natural habitat far exceeds a short swim in a pen.

Silver Moon excursion includes swimming with turtles in the wild.

Please don't swim with turtles that are kept in a pen.

This is definitely not what you will find on most islands In Barbados, you swim with the turtles in the open ocean, no pen anywhere. Those on the Silver Moon feed the turtles fish, their normal diet, not bread and things they shouldn't have. The turtles are treated with respect and come and go as they please.

I can honestly say, I have never seen an excursion where you swim with sea turtles that are penned up, but this is always offered in the open ocean where the turtles come and go whenever they like.

Archived