Permission to travel

tradogna

Carnival telling you what documentation you may require to enter and leave the ports they take you to is a courtesy they are extending.

When you check in Carnival will check to ensure you have the minimum required ID. If you need extra documentation, and you run into problems that's on you not them because you were advised.

Don, I completely agree. I think Carnival sees I have passports, etc. and from there doesn't really care what I do. If the Mexican authorities want to deny me entrance into their country, that's up to them. Carnival just wants my money! (and as little hassle as possible)

We have always had passports for the three girls. Do you think this is why they didn't need the permission letter on the last three cruises?

(I did have permission letters for all three cruises that I took my daughters on, but the carnival reps at embarkation never wanted to see the letters.) We still have up-to-date passports for them that we are planning to take.

I wonder, though: The instructions on the Carnival ticket do not say anything about having a passport in lieu of parent permission.

We used passports and were still asked for the permission letter so apparently using them didn't make a difference. I had a certified copy of the guardianship papers and they accepted them. We've only been asked for them a couple times. Maybe it just depends on who checks you in?

Don, I completely agree. I think Carnival sees I have passports, etc. and from there doesn't really care what I do. If the Mexican authorities want to deny me entrance into their country, that's up to them. Carnival just wants my money! (and as little hassle as possible)

Actually it's exiting not entering Mexico that is the problem. I think as long as you or your children don't appear to be mesoamerican, it won't be a problem.

;)

Bill, I agree that a passport doesn't prove that a missing parent has granted permission. I was responding to Michelle's idea that I would need a passport OR permission.

I actually agree too...lol. I was always told to take the letter even with the passport. Then when I started going to different sites to find the correct info I found one that said BEFORE 2005, the Mexican govt required the letter. Then AFTER 2005, a passport was all that was necessary because it takes 2 parents (or those that have custody) to get a passport for the child.

Now, with that being said, I went to the US Embassy of Mexico web site and this is what THAT says...

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/mexico/faqs.html

I am traveling to Mexico with my children but without my spouse. Do I need to make any special arrangements?

EACH parent (a couple may sign the same form; if a couple is divorced, each parent must sign the letter) or the legal guardian must sign an affidavit giving the child permission to travel unaccompanied, in the company of one parent or accompanied by a designated adult. The more information in the affidavit the better. It should give approximate dates, travel itinerary, your name, passport numbers, whatever relevant information they can provide about the trip. The document must be notarized by your local notary public to be valid. A number of unofficial organizations have prepared sample documents that may be used for this purpose (the U.S. Embassy cannot take responsibility for the sufficiency of these forms).

So the moral to the story...take a letter if you can get a letter. If you can't get a letter, I have never seen someone here denied boarding.

I have taken my 3 year old on 3 differant cruises and never have I been asked for my letter. Not all of them have been on Carnival. The real question is why some people asked and not others? (My son does have a passport but after reading some of these posts I don't believe that makes a differance) I am leaving in September for another cruise with my son and I will get another letter and who knows maybe this time someone will ask for it.:confused:

I actually agree too...lol. I was always told to take the letter even with the passport. Then when I started going to different sites to find the correct info I found one that said BEFORE 2005, the Mexican govt required the letter. Then AFTER 2005, a passport was all that was necessary because it takes 2 parents (or those that have custody) to get a passport for the child.

Now, with that being said, I went to the US Embassy of Mexico web site and this is what THAT says...

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/mexico/faqs.html

I am traveling to Mexico with my children but without my spouse. Do I need to make any special arrangements?

EACH parent (a couple may sign the same form; if a couple is divorced, each parent must sign the letter) or the legal guardian must sign an affidavit giving the child permission to travel unaccompanied, in the company of one parent or accompanied by a designated adult. The more information in the affidavit the better. It should give approximate dates, travel itinerary, your name, passport numbers, whatever relevant information they can provide about the trip. The document must be notarized by your local notary public to be valid. A number of unofficial organizations have prepared sample documents that may be used for this purpose (the U.S. Embassy cannot take responsibility for the sufficiency of these forms).

So the moral to the story...take a letter if you can get a letter. If you can't get a letter, I have never seen someone here denied boarding.

That is for land travel....call the consulate and ask about debarking for less that 24-hours...we did. Also, call Carnival and ask them about debarking for less than 24-hours.

To your point about firing Carnival employee who didnt ask for the paperwork, there are a lot of other things that go on aboard ships that CCL employees should be fired for....relax. But I agree, if you can get a letter, get one. If not, roll the dice but yes, I have never heard of anyone being actually turned away.

Actually it's exiting not entering Mexico that is the problem. I think as long as you or your children don't appear to be mesoamerican, it won't be a problem.

;)

Uh oh...then we may run into problems. We are a hispanic/central american family and our daughter is the darker one of the bunch. :p

• 3 weeks later...
This is an important issue for me because my ex lives overseas and is very diffficult to communicate with. So far, I've always had a signed letter from him to take my daughters on cruises, but he is always difficult about it, and even though I've had the permission letter each time, they not only didn't ask for it at embarkation, but they even shrugged it off and said they didn't need it. This time, I'm not planning to bother to get a letter from him (the girls are now 17, 15, and 13). He almost never even calls the girls...but he's not malicious and wouldn't call to stop us at the port.

So for years now, I've been reading these boards and this topic comes up again and again. Even though I've asked this question before, I've never heard of ONE person who said that they were actually denied boarding because they didn't have the letter. Many people tell stories about how they were "almost" denied, but then allowed on, or that they were asked for the letter and felt lucky that they had it, or even that they knew someone who couldn't go. But no one has ever given an example of when they were denied.

Anyone out there ever denied boarding because they didn't have a letter from the ex?

:) We just got back from our cruise on the Triumph, and I thought I'd give an update to my earlier post. We did NOT have a letter for my three DD's to come with us. Their last name is not the same as mine, but nobody blinked or asked us about it or about a letter. We "sailed" right through embarkation and onto the ship. I have yet to hear of ANYONE ever being denied boarding for lack of a permission letter.

• 1 month later...

I have sole custody of my daughter. I'd never dare ask her gene donor for permission for anything. He's not around, nor does he want to be, hence how I got sole custody so easily :) We were never married, Anyhow, he is on her BC,she has his last name, but I have copies of my custody court order. There wouldn't be any reason to have his permission right? After all, in the order he has no rights, cant even be with her without "supervision", she can't be in a vehicle with him, no court ordered visitation..you get my drift.. I figured with her bc, my DL and bc, and the court order stating sole custody and his lack of any authority.. i should be fine. Any suggestions?? thanks!

I am asking this question for my daughter. She just got married and her husband has two children, he gets them 50 per cent of the time and there Mom the other 50 percent. My daughter and husband are taking the kids on a 4 day cruise, with one stop in Mexico. She called Carnival and they said she does not need a permission to travel form from there Mom. I think she does, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Teresa

I had a letter for our cruise back in Sept of 06 for my two daughters that I have with my ex. I was never asked for the letter, but I had it just in case.

Archived