Glory Vs. Legend

massey33

We are getting ready to book a Christmas cruise and can't decide between the Glory - 7 night Eastern; or the Legend - 7 night Western. Both locations have appeal to us as we've never done an Eastern cruise and the Western cruise we did before didn't stop at Belize or Costa Maya. The prices are also both very close together.

Can anyone tell me if they've sailed on both ships and which they prefer? This will be our 3rd Carnival cruise and I'm sure regardless of what we choose, it'll be as wonderful as our first two.

Thanks in advance!:D

I thought the Spirit class ship was much easier to get around. It didn't take me all week to get to know the layout. It just seemed like the Glory was convoluted(like that word?;) ). For instance , to go to dinner we had to go from the front of the ship on deck 9 to deck 5, then walk to the back of the ship, then go down 1 more deck to get to our dining room. There was never a direct path. Certain places were blocked off, so you'd have to go around. The elevators didn't all go the same amount of floors. Like on the Lido buffet, the elevators there didn't go any higher, even though the fish & chips was 1 deck higher. And I don't know about you, but I can't carry my food up or down stairs very well! I can't say I didn't have a great time, I'm just saying on the ships merits alone, I'd definitely choose the Legend.

We just planned a cruise for New Years and I had the same dilemma. I have sailed the Miracle and Pride and my husband and I loved them both. Probably that class is my favorite.We live an hr. from Tampa and almost 3 from Port Canaveral so it is easier to go to Tampa. But we are going with some younger people. We are in our 50's and my sons are in the early 30's. So we decided there would probably be more young people on the bigger ship. A few years ago we went on the Valor and there were alot of young people, making it fun for everyone in our group. The bigger ship offers more choices for all ages, we were from 4-72. Have fun planning, I hope this helps.

Thanks, MarieFisher! I just got off the phone with Carnival and they are offering free upgrade on balconies, any level, including extended balconies to past cruisers. The sales rep I talked withi thought the Legend was probably a little easier to get around and better itinerary.

I wish there was some difference in the prices but they are only $24 apart which doesn't help at all!

Nice thing is we can book now and have until October 7 to change our minds without penalty.

Did anyone cruise balcony cabins on either Legend or Glory? Are either better? Does Glory have extended balconies (not sure what that is but she mentioned Legend had them).

We sailed the Glory last Thanksgiving and are going to sail the Legend June 3rd. I'll report back re both after that sailing. We enjoyed the Glory very much. Haven't not enjoyed a crusie yet tho!

The spirit class ship "extended" balconies aren't all that bigger and you cannot look out and see the full length of the ship due to the indentation of the ship. I found the spirit class to be smaller, plus the decor of the Legend and Glory are very different..that might be something to consider.

We were on the Glory last year and loved it. I wouldn't let the convoluted deck plans be the deciding factor. Once you find that the promenade deck goes the full length of the ship (and I think also empress), it's simple enough to get from here to there. :) Also, they have small copies of the deck plans at the purser's desk that you can carry around with you.

We chose the Legend this year. Price was a little better for our time frame and we liked that one of the ports was Grand Cayman instead of Nassau. We weren't that impressed with Nassau last year. It was very crowded (6 ships!).

I booked the Legend ages ago;) for this December.

Having a problem w/airline schedules into Tampa:( ; worst case scenario -- we'll fly into MCO and drive down the next am.

Tempting thought that the Glory departs on Saturday (in lieu of Sunday) would allow us to enjoy 2 days in Orlando when we return. However, not too fond of the thought of visiting Nassau again. Although we had fun @ Ardrasta Gardens.

Carnival rep told me the sailings out of Orlando seem to be more popular; even though it's more expensive than other comparable sailings outof FL. Plus, they tend to increase more in price the closer you get to the date in comparison. Although, she did comment that once the word got out; they expected the popularity to soar due to the Legend being such a favored ship by repeat customers.:)

Keep the comments coming:) We never fly, prefer to save the $ for shopping:D so it the airports not a consideration for us. We are in TN and Tampa is 10 hrs 18 min; Orlando is 10 hours 1 min so the distance isn't a factor, either. We didn't enjoy Nassau on our previous cruise, but have never been to St. Thomas or St. Marteen; and we've been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel but never to Belize or Costa Maya so both cruises have appeal for us in terms of itinerary. Because the price is basically the same, the distance is the same and the ports both have new places and ones we've already visited, this is a very difficult choice for us. I've read reviews on multiple boards and like this board, there are people who like one more than the other and other people who think the other ship is better. We need someone to make our decision for us:eek:

Our family was on the Glory at Thanksgiving and will be on the Legend the 27th. We choose the Legend for the 27th even though same itinerary - different ship. We have not been on a Spirit Class yet. Will let you know when we return.

The Glory does have wrap around balconies, category 9A. On the Legend I think the wrap arounds are category 11. Not sure of pricing for these. We were in an aft balcony (not a wrap around) on the Glory and really enjoyed watching the wake.

One way to decide might be to research excursions for each ships ports and see which seem more interesting. One of the most fun days I've ever had on a cruise was in Costa Maya. (Took David & Ivan's tour of Chaccoben and then hung out in Majajual) That's the main reason I chose a western intinerary again this year--had to go back.

Btw, I'm in TN also. I see our drive times are pretty similar-are you in East TN? I wanted to try flying this year, but couldn't talk DD into it, so I guess we'll be cranking up the old Chevy!

We have traveled both on the Pride and most recently on the Legend. We have also sailed on the Glory twice. Both the Legend and the Glory are excellent ships, but I would prefer the Glory. During the month of December I would prefer the Eastern Caribbean. In addition, the Glory is newer, bigger, and overall I feel is a nicer ship (Fish and chips ) upstairs. I would suggest a balcony stateroom. By the age, don't take any "free" upgrades unless you know where the room is. In many cases your "free" upgrade will be to a room in a higher class, but in a more undesirable location that Carnival would have had problems selling.

Want someone to make your decision? well, here it is.

Nothing is finer than st. thomas..........PERIOD.

st.maarteen/st.martin are great too.

Best deals on diamonds at diamonds internation.

oh yes and the weather-probably a stinking 82 with all those horible white beaches:confused:

Man, I think I'm going back.

oh, i forgot your question was about which ship to choose. Forget the ship and choose the itenerary.

forget the cabin. you're only in them a few hours for sleep. If your spending more time than that in your cabin your missing something.

Glory is a huge beautiful ship. You'll enjoy all the shows, food and yes don't forget the fish and chips that is upstairs from the red sail restaurant

hmmm im looking at december 2008. Was considering glory and legend.

i was leaning towards legend because

1. leaves from tampa, we just cruised for the first time out of tampa so we are familiar with the port, and my best friend lives in tampa.

2. it goes to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, and we loved those ports on our first cruise. My wife really wants to go to stingray city again

3. Ive heard great things about the Spirit class ships.

but im now teetering towards glory because

1. its a slighly shorter drive

2. less ports, but all new ports and more relaxed sea days and less money will be spent on port activities

3. newer bigger ship.

4. a little less expensive per person

The Eastern cruise ports have actual piers at all ports of call. Major PLUS. We had to tender all ports except Costa Maya on the Western cruise.

Glory is a MUCH larger ship with about 900 more passengers. Makes for a little longer lines. We had a balcony suite on Glory, about mid-ship, empress deck. This was a really nice room. balcony had fantastic views, we could see all the way from the front to the rear.

We sailed Miracle out of Tampa. Tampa has a MUCH better customs exit strategy than Port Canaveral. Really nice getting thru the terminal.

The Spirit class ships are a little smaller, you can feel the ocean a bit more. With fewer passenger aboard the lines were shorter and faster.

Even with the hassles at Port Canaveral and the longer lines, we still prefer Glory.

You'll enjoy either. :)

I understand your dilema. We have been on the Triumph twice (5/05 & 2/06), and the Valor last October. We wanted to try a different ship this time but my husband and I couldn't decide between the Legend and the Glory either... so we booked both, LOL!! We will cruise the Legend July 15th and the Glory on Oct 20. I believe the Glory is going to be a lot like the Valor which we loved a lot. I'm curious to see how the Legend compares with it's layout so different. I'm enjoying reading all the posts.

Archived