Freedom/Liberty Vs. Mariner - Is it worth it?

I do not think the attractiveness of the port has a lot to do with the cruise experience at all. Port Canaveral is way easier to get into and out of. The parking is much closer to the terminals and you get out to sea much sooner. Miami is such a hassle and it's 4 hour drive compared to a 2 hour drive to Port Canaveral. We liked Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale ok too (3 hour drive) but the parking was a lot farther away. I'll take the Compact Port Canveral and the ease of getting in and out any day..........:D

To each their own. The Cocoa area is a place without a lot to do compared to a city like Miami. Even when I lived in central Florida, I still arrived in my departure port a few days early to relax. Nothing to do in the Cocoa area at all. I love sailing down Government Cut in Miami. Pt. Canaveral is just sore on the eyes. While the parking and all may be easier I don't find Miami that hard to deal with.

To each their own. The Cocoa area is a place without a lot to do compared to a city like Miami. Even when I lived in central Florida, I still arrived in my departure port a few days early to relax. Nothing to do in the Cocoa area at all. I love sailing down Government Cut in Miami. Pt. Canaveral is just sore on the eyes. While the parking and all may be easier I don't find Miami that hard to deal with.

Cape Liberty makes Pt. Canaveral look like Hawaii. While I love Cape Liberty it's ugly as sin. ;)

I do not think the attractiveness of the port has a lot to do with the cruise experience at all. Port Canaveral is way easier to get into and out of. The parking is much closer to the terminals and you get out to sea much sooner. Miami is such a hassle and it's 4 hour drive compared to a 2 hour drive to Port Canaveral. We liked Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale ok too (3 hour drive) but the parking was a lot farther away. I'll take the Compact Port Canveral and the ease of getting in and out any day..........:D

Ditto what dagadget said! We travel from Savannah and can easily make Port Canaveral on the day of sailing. Port Everglades and Miami are longer drives for us, but not so far to justify flying. After a wonderful cruise, the last thing I want to do is drive for 8 hours to get home. I miss my dog too much and want to get back quick!

Rose

Cape Liberty makes Pt. Canaveral look like Hawaii. While I love Cape Liberty it's ugly as sin. ;)

We saw it when we were in New York last fall and it did look like a mess. We had some friends sail out of there on Voyager's first cruise out of Cape Liberty back in 2004 and they said it was a total disaster. Took them until 6:30 to get onboard for a 10:00 PM departure and they were the first group onboard :eek: . They also said that the check in area isn't connected to the ship, you had to take a trolley over to the ship from the terminal :confused: . That's just always turned me off when I think about doing a Bermuda cruise!

Is it still like that or do they have it worked out pretty well now?

We saw it when we were in New York last fall and it did look like a mess. We had some friends sail out of there on Voyager's first cruise out of Cape Liberty back in 2004 and they said it was a total disaster. Took them until 6:30 to get onboard for a 10:00 PM departure and they were the first group onboard :eek: . They also said that the check in area isn't connected to the ship, you had to take a trolley over to the ship from the terminal :confused: . That's just always turned me off when I think about doing a Bermuda cruise!

Is it still like that or do they have it worked out pretty well now?

Oh it's very well run now. Always a smooth embarkation whenever we sail from there. Besides some occasional paint spots on your car we really have no complaints. It's just a very unattractive port.

I'm a cruising newbie & my parents (seasoned cruisers) have talked us (my family of 5 including my three sons under the age of 8) into taking a cruise with them next May/June.

I know they would prefer to try out Freedom/Liberty but it looks like it'll cost my family of 5 at least another $1200 over Mariner (or other Voyager-family ship).

For those lucky ones who have sailed on Freedom and Mariner (or Voyager-family), do you think it's worth the extra $$$? Keeping in mind this cruise will follow a week long stint at DisneyWorld so credit cards will be maxed out!

PS. While I've got you reading (& I know this should be separate post), my understanding is that my best bet in ensuring I get the best price is to book early and then watch to see if there are any price drops and ask my travel agent to get the credit. Is that right?

Thank you! :o (This board looks fantastic!)

If you are doing Disney then I would recommend the Mariner. The Mariner is just down the street from Disneyworld. The Freedom means either a long drive or fly. If I was going to start or end at Disneyworld, I would go Mariner.

Oh yes I forgot to include that there have been riots not far from Miami's port in the past. I had a friend lose a car and get severely beat up just trying to get to that port in Miami a few years back. Don't make a wrong turn in Miami you may not live to regret it I seriously doubt that will ever happen in Port Canaveral or Port Everglades or Port of Tampa all of which are closer than Miami. If you have to do something for a few days prior to your cruise Orlando has a ton of things to do. Lets see Sea World Universal, Disney Parks (Animal Kingdom, Epcot MGM, Magic Kingdom) and that's just for starters. Miami offers no such thing and Southbeach is overrated a lot. So yes it is dependent on your point of view. As far as I am concerned Miami might as well be in Cuba

Oh yes I forgot to include that there have been riots not far from Miami's port in the past. I had a friend lose a car and get severely beat up just trying to get to that port in Miami a few years back. Don't make a wrong turn in Miami you may not live to regret it I seriously doubt that will ever happen in Port Canaveral or Port Everglades or Port of Tampa all of which are closer than Miami. If you have to do something for a few days prior to your cruise Orlando has a ton of things to do. Lets see Sea World Universal, Disney Parks (Animal Kingdom, Epcot MGM, Magic Kingdom) and that's just for starters. Miami offers no such thing and Southbeach is overrated a lot. So yes it is dependent on your point of view. As far as I am concerned Miami might as well be in Cuba

That is not being fair to the city of Miami. Crime happens in just about every city and town. Orlando is not without it's problems. Ybor City in Tampa has had more than it's fair share of crime over the years and it's not far from the port either. Even small towns like Avon Park, Sebring and Lake Placid can have crime.:rolleyes: Not everyone that comes to Florida wants to spend it at a theme park.

That is not being fair to the city of Miami. Crime happens in just about every city and town. Orlando is not without it's problems. Ybor City in Tampa has had more than it's fair share of crime over the years and it's not far from the port either. Even small towns like Avon Park, Sebring and Lake Placid can have crime.:rolleyes: Not everyone that comes to Florida wants to spend it at a theme park.

Miami has improved some, I pulled up the riot articles and they were 10 years ago. So old that I can't find them on the internet any more. As for theme parks I have had my fill of them too. That's why I like a quick easy Port like Canaveral. I do not need Beaches or things to do. (with the exception of the Kennedy Space Center) nearby Cocoa Beach does not have much to do. But then again who wants to be in Florida when you are on a cruise. I do cruises to get away from Florida and for doing that quickly nothing beats PC

Archived