Transportation Valparaiso to Santiago

WELVTOTRVL

I can tell you why not to use the transfers - $$$$$. We took the local bus for about $4 each, and it was a nice bus! (even had earphones to drown EVERYTHING out and I slept!) Ends downtown and you can take a cab to hotel or airport, wherever. (We did the reverse, and arranged nice hotels at each town, ahead of our cruise - to see more local sites, etc.)

We took the Marco Polo transfer bus (which is NCL) from Valparaiso to Santiago and were glad we did. It included a quick entry through passport control, a narrated two-hour drive to Santiago with a restroom/snack stop, then a two-hour city tour that took us to the top of the mountain that overlooks this beautiful city. Then everyone got dropped off at their hotel. We didn't have to worry about our luggage, it was on the bus. Our guide provided lots of info we would not have had otherwise.

I can tell you why not to use the transfers - $$$$$. We took the local bus for about $4 each, and it was a nice bus! (even had earphones to drown EVERYTHING out and I slept!) Ends downtown and you can take a cab to hotel or airport, wherever. (We did the reverse, and arranged nice hotels at each town, ahead of our cruise - to see more local sites, etc.)

Where to you take the bus to Santiago? Is it far from the port?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
We need transportation from Valparaiso to Santiago after our cruise ends. Are there any busses that we could take and if so, where can we catch them?

We are also looking for transportation to Santiago. I think they have inexpensive public buses which leave frequently ann are safe, but i'm not sure were to get them. Have you gotten any information?

Stan & Fran

Is anyone else on the March 30th sailing of the Amsterdam that might want to share a seven hour Port Compass tour/transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago on April 15th?

We would need to get to the airport by 5:45 ish to catch our 7:30 p.m. flight...

Nina

Is anyone else on the March 30th sailing of the Amsterdam that might want to share a seven hour Port Compass tour/transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago on April 15th?

We would need to get to the airport by 5:45 ish to catch our 7:30 p.m. flight...

Nina

Nina

My friend Martha and I may. We are looking at several possibilities. I have not yet contacted Port Compass. What price did you get?

We plan to spend the night in Santiago, but that would be OK. They could let us off at our hotel before or after you go to the airport.

Let's talk about this.

love

joan

Hi, Joan- this is what Port Compass sent me, and it was $99 pp for a van of six...

------------------------------------------------

The tour that would be ideal for you is :

Full Day Valparaíso, Vina del Mar, Winery and Santiago, plus Transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Order code: NUE-FDVTS Approx. 7 hours.

Per our website, our tours have minimum passenger requirements. The website pricing for your tour is based on 6pax sharing a minivan. For 2pax, the PRIVATE tour and transfer would be $139pp (lunch not included).

To lower your costs, you may want to Grow-A-Group. Here's how:

----------------------------------------------------

Have you come across any other interesting possibilities?

Nina

Nina

Thanks for the info.

I am also looking at a three-day two-nighttour of the area, which would include pickup at the ship and later drop off at the airport. I do not have all the information on it right now.

We have not yet made our air arrangements until we finalize how long we plan to stay in Santiago. However,we need to get it nailed down.

Let's keep in touch. We may be interested in taking this van with you. We still have a little time.

love

joan

Went to your website, which is in Spanish. My acquaintance with that language is a distant 60 years ago in school!

However, I think you principally were showing Valplaraiso -- and we want to spend our nights in Santiago. What we are looking at is a tour between the two cities, and perhaps then a day tour of Santiago.

Any recommendations for a hotel in Santiago?

thanks

joan

Hi Guys,

First off my personal website has two sides...click on the Canadian flag and you'll have it in English. For one of the city Santiago visit http://www.santiago.cl it has a lot in english on it. I spoke with a tour op just two days ago that said he had amazing prices for hotels all thru Chile. If there is one you have in mind I can see what the rates are. Again, he just mentioned this option on Thursday to me.

A shuttle for two (basically a sedan car) is $130 dollars either port to sanitago or vice-versa. This could be to airport also. There's fees for the highway and on weekends this also goes up. Any driver will need to cover the trip two ways.

Tours can easiely include on the way from Santiago wineries. My personal fav!

The weather is almost always great by the end of September so no worries. You can dress light, golf shirt, etc. Evenings can be cool, once you go around the cape and past Puerto Montt just expect an Alaska cruise for a few days. A bit beyond windbreakers and a fleece.

Hope that helps,

'Till later,

I went to your web site again, Jamie, and never did spot the Maple Leaf, so I just stumbled through in Spanish.

Enjoyed the photos. Looks like you mention some good places to eat.

Now about sleeping. How about telling me about some of those good hotel bargains in Santiago? My friend and I need a room for two nights with two double beds preferred, but will take one with two singles. We do not usually stay in four or five star hotels unless they are well located and a bargain to boot. We enjoy the tourist class hotels if they serve good breakfasts. We certainly don't go for the "chains."

love

joan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The bus terminal is not far from the port terminal. Presently the government is under construction of a new train system. You must cross this construction to begin you walk for 4 blocks. The entrance or exit out of the terminal is an additional full city block walk. They have not made it convienient in any way for you to walk on you own with luggage. That being said I see passengers on each ship do so. Travel light and only have one luggage on wheels. You will need to lift it over curbs, train tracks, etc on the way.

Once out and on the street, walk straight into town by 2 blocks to Pedro Mont. It is a double laned street. You will see the congress building, take a right for 2 blocks and there is the bus terminal. You can take any bus into Santiago, they leave about every 10 minutes. Cost each person is around 3,000 pesos or about $5 dollars us. From the terminal in Santiago you can transfer to another bus to the airport or on the street find cabbies for hotels. It also directly connects to the subway at the terminal.

Don't expect to find any local cabbie in Valparaiso willing to give you a fare over to the bus terminal shy of $20. They loose their space in line for the big ticket or city tour or airport shuttle. From these folks at the port you can sometimes barter for a price down around $140 with luggage. Very few speak any english.

Hope this helps.

Archived