Does Anyone Think Pulling My Kids Out For 8 Days Is To Long?

t968

I teach high school and today I just found out that one of my students is missing the week of finals for a vacation and wants to take his early. What a pain in my behind! Exams are supposed to be after Memorial Day weekend - guess when I planned to write that exam?

I certainly hope you do not enable this behavior by doing anything special for this child. Let them take their lumps... and F's... during the week they are gone.

Their lack of responsibility does not constitute an emergency on your part. Stick to your game plan and develop the exam as planned... and give it as planned. The child can make it up in summer school.

We just came back from an eight day cruise with my daughter who is in grade seven..I have no problem with them missing a week of school. We do it every year. It's a learning experience in itself. They are only young once....Go for it, they will LOVE IT.....

PS...It's not irresponsible at all....

Pffffffttttttttt... what a bunch of crap...

From a teacher's point of view, I have a student who is, at this moment, on a 7 day cruise on the Legend. Great kid. Good grades. I think about her every day as she is missing so much important work. We are just introducing the last important unit in math and she is going to be lost when she gets back. She has such a busy schedule as it is, with sports, activities, etc, that I hope she will be able to set aside time to seek extra help on the work she is missing. If your children will seek extra help on the work they miss and are dedicated enough to make sure they master it all, I say "Go for it!" If you are at all concerned that they will fall behind and not be able to catch up, I would put it off until another time. (Maybe there is a week when they will only miss 3 or 4 days instead of 7?) The cruise doesn't HAVE to be before graduation.

Yeah... screw everyone... just think about yourself... :rolleyes:

Yup, why not.....Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean it's the right one...to each is own....Lighten up everyone....One week...big deal...their kids.....obviously family time with some people isn't as important as it is to others...

And I agree the OP's posts are a bit odd for a parent, but the replies here show we are ALL OVER THE PLACE on this one. Rather interesting. But we all know that the kids sitting in the classroom can be getting more or less out of being in school. It can be quite entertaining when my kids tell me about the slackers at our high school. Much seems to depend on the PARENT's attitude about school [or skool].

janice

That close to the end of the year no WAY. Especially for the senior....I would have hated that for the fear of missing something last minute then someone losing something and not being able to graduate until that is found or whatever.

I would have waited until the week immediately after school ends...because everyone ends at a different time...some in June some in late May.

Cheap prices vs. your child's grades at the end of their grade school term

NO comparison

Maybe I missed it, but when is the last day of school in your district??

I know that I can get all my kids work for them ahead of time, and bring it along. That way, they can dedicate an hour or 2 each day to get their work done so they are not behind when we get back.

IMHO, and since you asked, I think pulling kids out of school even 1 day is 1 day too many regardless of what time of year it is. School should be viewed as important and as a priority. Pulling them out to vacation sends a message that school is not important. Just my opinion.

When our girls were younger (they are now 17 and 20) we would take them out of class for a week long cruise. We got their assignments ahead of time and they compleated their work and had it ready to turn in on their return. But as soon as they started Jr High the attendance policy would only allow 7 missed days per year without the possibility of failing the classes or having to take summer school to complete the credits. We prefer to cruise in the winter but for the past 6 or 7 years we have had to plan for early summer cruises after school was finished. If it were possible, we would take our girls out of school for a family vacation. Some of lifes best lessons are learned outside the classroom.

Just an observation here. Ever notice that the people that say "it's no big deal" are generally the people who have the worst spelling and grammar??? LOL Sorry, just an observation, but perhaps NOT missing school could have done some of them good :p Hey, mine isn't the best, but I'm not the one saying "it's no big deal" :p

What are they going to miss in high school in a week that will follow them the rest of their lives? Not get into Harvard?

Good lord, its only a week. It's not going to ruin their lives and condemn them to being destitute forever. :eek: :rolleyes:

Did you graduate high school? Do you remember the last 3-4 weeks? I know, some people may not have enjoyed it much... but I know for those of us that managed to have a large amount of friends, and did well in school, it was quite a time!! I will NEVER forget the end of my senior year and the great times that were had. I also cannot imagine not having prep time for my exams. In our district, you fail your exams= you don't graduate.

I am a parent of a middle schooler and a soon to be high school student. I have taken them out of school for cruises, and will continue to do so, very occasionally. BUT, the most I'd take them out would be 5 days, I do think that 8 is just a bit too long. They are your children, you know them better than anyone, only you can know if they would be able to make up the work.

The last marking period is IMPORTANT, they need to complete many large assignments and have several important tests. Be sure that your vacation week doesn't interfere with the tests, as others have suggested, or the teachers are really gonna be peeved.

Your other option would be just to choose a shorter cruise, still take the vaca, but have them miss just a couple of days.

HELLO IS ANY ONE PAYING ATTENTION. The op starts these than sits back laughing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivalcruisejunkie viewpost.gif

Wow, third time the OP has asked a question about taking kids out of school. :cool:

Or trying to get drinks for under age son.

My son is will be 17 he looks 18 or 19 well over 6 foot.. Do they i.d?

is it strictly enforeced?

Is op even an adult or can we say troll?

LOL. i don't think they heard you. seriously, who wld ask this? you either do it or you don't. you don't ask a bunch of strangers. now, asking what to write in the absence note might be plausible. but not this....though stranger things have been posted :D

but, in the end, i agree, this post doesn't smell right.

Did you graduate high school? Do you remember the last 3-4 weeks? I know, some people may not have enjoyed it much... but I know for those of us that managed to have a large amount of friends, and did well in school, it was quite a time!! I will NEVER forget the end of my senior year and the great times that were had. I also cannot imagine not having prep time for my exams. In our district, you fail your exams= you don't graduate.

Yes, I did graduate high school and college as well.

The post I was replying to referred to missing a week of school as having effects on them the "rest of their lives". A little melodramtic if you ask me. I haven't been asked about my high school career more than once since I graduated college. Missing a week of high school is not going to doom anyone with half a brain to anything more than playing catch up....a little hard work and its done.

As for my end of senior year memories...they were great. But I much preferred my senior year of college. :D

Just an observation here. Ever notice that the people that say "it's no big deal" are generally the people who have the worst spelling and grammar??? LOL Sorry, just an observation, but perhaps NOT missing school could have done some of them good :p Hey, mine isn't the best, but I'm not the one saying "it's no big deal" :p

:p good obesrvation

Yes, I did graduate high school and college as well.

The post I was replying to referred to missing a week of school as having effects on them the "rest of their lives". A little melodramtic if you ask me. I haven't been asked about my high school career more than once since I graduated college. Missing a week of high school is not going to doom anyone with half a brain to anything more than playing catch up....a little hard work and its done.

As for my end of senior year memories...they were great. But I much preferred my senior year of college. :D

Well, we can just say that for many, missing the last week of school would prevent them from enjoying their senior year of college, since many schools would keep them from graduating ;) I think most would agree that the Senior in this situation probably needs to stay at school... end of the year for a senior is important, you could go right after school ends and it would be MUCH better, worth the extra few hundred bucks IMHO.l

I certainly hope you do not enable this behavior by doing anything special for this child. Let them take their lumps... and F's... during the week they are gone.

Their lack of responsibility does not constitute an emergency on your part. Stick to your game plan and develop the exam as planned... and give it as planned. The child can make it up in summer school.

VentureMan,

You won't get far in the real world with that attitude. Unfortunately, special situations do arise and work must be done to meet an unexpected deadline. As teachers are in "the real world", why should they be any different. The client (in this case the student and their parents) gave reasonable notice that the deadline for the project has been pushed up. I would imagine the boss (in this case the principal or superintendent) has signed off on it. Do you tell them to take their business elsewhere or attempt to meet the deadline?

I don't like it when it happens on my end. But guess what, the work gets done and the deadline is met (assuming reasonable notice was given).

One good reason to homeschool. You can take vacations whenever it fits your schedule and the kids can still complete their work. We homeschool and the kids school all year but we can travel when we want.

My oldest just completed her first year of college, on the Dean's List. She's continuing the fine tradition of year around school and is taking 14 credits this summer before her 2nd year.

I'm ducking!

PS: It does get harder as the kids get older because most activities operate on a "school" type schedule.

Well, we can just say that for many, missing the last week of school would prevent them from enjoying their senior year of college, since many schools would keep them from graduating ;) I think most would agree that the Senior in this situation probably needs to stay at school... end of the year for a senior is important, you could go right after school ends and it would be MUCH better, worth the extra few hundred bucks IMHO.l

I agree. In an earlier post I stated that I didn't think taking school off that close to the end was a good idea. But this has gravitated into a taking time out EVER thread.

Either way though, it won't be the end of the world. My DD graduates the end of this month. She has finals left and thats it. Even if she were to flunk them all, she would still graduate (though without the gpa we're expecting). She wouldn't miss this last month for the world, and I wouldn't ask her to. She has taken a week out of school every other year for vacation though, and I can guarantee you it hasn't hurt her in the slightest, much less left any lifelong scars.

From some of the responses it's clear that many have not spent a day in their kids classroom recently. I would love to think that so much work get covered that it would seriously affect the overall performance of a good student. The truth is more on more time is the classroom is spent on discipline and manners. Add to this factor teachers who have little or no classroom control, special needs kids in regular ed. classes and parents who refuse to have their kids medicated for their learning issues. The work can be made up and the early vacation can be enjoyed. If the child had chicken pox, this would result in a 2 weeks absence. If the teacher got sick you may have a substitute (clueless in that subject area) as the replacement. Check your kids schedule and figure out what needs to be done. In some district you may be required to do independent study. I am in the classroom as a substitute teacher (K-12), sometimes as a resource aide, and as a parent volunteer.

Kris:

I wish there were more teachers like you. Teachers I know pull their test from a disk along with the answer key. I wish my kids all have such dedication in their teachers. I would feel comfortable spending the college fund knowing an academic scholarship is on the way.

Archived