past guest discount, book or not to book now?

sea*siren

My sister and I are interested in taking a "girl's only" cruise in Aug of '08. Should I book now or wait? I'm asking because of the past guest discount. As you can see from my siggy my first cruise isn't until Dec. If I book for sis and me now, and just do the deposit, can I call the PVP back after my first cruise and have the discount applied? Will they do that? Final payment will not have been made at that point. Or should I take my chances and wait and book after I get back in Dec? My only concern about that is a possible rate hike. Anyone else been in this situation?

I would book it now for two reasons.

1) I don't know if they will apply the discount later. You may have to cancel and rebook.

2) If the PG rate is lower anyway. It doesn't really matter if you cancel and rebook. Other than you might not get the exact choice of room you want if you wait.

I booked 4 cabins for my Miracle a year out, in October '06 for October '07...........nothing was available so the straight up full fare.

In november I had all 4 changed to a 1 day sale

In Dec I had mine changed to Military when it came available

Around Feb I had the other 3 changed to past guest when it became available.

just recently I had 2 of those 3 changed to military friend family when it became available

FINAL RESULT:

1 Military

2 Military friend family

1 past guest

total savings $2600 from original booking. I booked early to get specific cabins......and I have yet to reach final payment.

They better be good/GREAT cabins!!

GOOD LUCK!!

SeaSiren - I, personally, wouldn't book a cruise almost a year and a half away. After you take your December cruise, I'd check to see if there's a past guest discount offered for August, 2008, and I'd keep checking until there is one. I never book cruises over 3-4 months prior....and I have always gotten the PG discount by checking w/my Carnival PVP. Just my thinking.:)

I keep a watch on the various internet travel sites as well as carnival's site. From what I've read on other threads it sounds like many people have a TA or PVP e-mail/contact them when deals come up. I need to get hooked up with that! :D

I may be wrong, but to me you have nothing to lose by booking in advance?? I booked for Labor Day 2008 to get the cabin I wanted. If a better deal comes along before final payment I can cancel and book another cruise with no penalty.

You have nothing to lose by holding a cabin and locking in the price now. I see out of Galveston where Im booking prices seem to be going up not down, so it might depend on if you are picky about the port and few choices like Texans. But I cant see the risk of holding a cabin that you can cancel without any penalty. I have 3 booked now. Only one is paid for.

Wondering where you look to find the discounts when they come available. Is there a website that you check everyday? thanks for any info

the Carnival guy I deal with knows I'm Military discount qualified and keeps things up to date.......I just check with him every few weeks...................I read bout the recent friend/family here first. So I called him up....

"hey John, Craig here"

"How you doing Mr S?....... I was just going to call you, the friend/family is released for your Miracle cruise................but you beat me to it. I'll switch that over for you."

"Great.....anything on my Glory yet?"

"Not yet, but I'll keep an eye on it"

I may be wrong, but to me you have nothing to lose by booking in advance?? I booked for Labor Day 2008 to get the cabin I wanted. If a better deal comes along before final payment I can cancel and book another cruise with no penalty.

You have nothing to lose by holding a cabin and locking in the price now. I see out of Galveston where Im booking prices seem to be going up not down, so it might depend on if you are picky about the port and few choices like Texans. But I cant see the risk of holding a cabin that you can cancel without any penalty. I have 3 booked now. Only one is paid for.

I agree, you lock in a good cabin for a rate you can live with, and the only thing you lose(temporarily) is the deposit money isn't in your account. You can always cancell in time before the final payment. You then get the fun of keeping an eye on it, looking for those extra discounts. It helps the time pass.

Archived