Food on St. Maarten

The DW and I are going to Marigot, St. Maarten in Sep 07 and we are looking for a great local cuisine seafood restuarant. We are not interested in the themed Senor Frog type food or chinese or indian cuisine just local. Thanks

The DW and I are going to Marigot, St. Maarten in Sep 07 and we are looking for a great local cuisine seafood restuarant. We are not interested in the themed Senor Frog type food or chinese or indian cuisine just local. Thanks

There is an excellent Dutch-Indonesian restaurant that does a traditional rijst-tafel. Not to be missed!

Oops, just noticed you want seafood (and not chinese or Indian either. Wow, did I ever blow reading before answering!). BashHead.gif I doubt that restaurant would have a lot of seafood.

There is an excellent Dutch-Indonesian restaurant that does a traditional rijst-tafel. Not to be missed!

Oops, just noticed you want seafood (and not chinese or Indian either. Wow, did I ever blow reading before answering!). BashHead.gif I doubt that restaurant would have a lot of seafood.

No biggie, if we can't find a good seafood restuarant we'll consider it. Thanks.

We have eaten at the Greenhouse which is right at the pier (Bobbys Marina). Loads of good things to choose from: http://www.thegreenhouserestaurant.com/greenhousesxm/index.html

The Greenhouse sounds like a Senor Frog-style after reading their website, We are really leaning toward St Maarten's specific cuisine. We like to try the locally developed cuisine and spiced foods over the touristt stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

You'll find a lot of good local cuisine in Marigot. We were there in February and ate at a tiny place called Rosemary's. It's in a little shopping village in Marigot, next to local vendors, out outdoor market area, and lots of other local cuisine options. For whatever reason, my husband took a picture of this menu in St. Maarten (in Marigot), even though we didn't eat there...but it gives you an idea of what you'll find all around you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44725&stc=1&d=1178937317

StMaartenMenu.jpg.bfcf4afc5588d492894acc9188aa0f0d.jpg

This thread is a little confusing...the OP asked for restaurants in Marigot which is the French side, St Martin; the first answers were for great restaurants in St Maarten, the Dutch half. In Marigot there are little restaurants around or near the main parking lot--many to choose from; and there are others, as the last poster indicates, in or around the open-air market.

Why don't you go to the Library, check out a book on this island, and find out what it has to offer??? The library is free! The book is a source of invaluable info! This would be to your benefit!

Could you tell me the name of this restaurant. Love Dutch Indonesian, Hate seafood.

Why don't you go to the Library, check out a book on this island, and find out what it has to offer??? The library is free! The book is a source of invaluable info! This would be to your benefit!

...or if you want information from this century, you might Google Marigot seafood restaurants. :rolleyes:

You might also check this link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport_print.cfm?ID=13

We ate fresh fish grilled on a charcoal grill at a little fish shack on one of the beaches. They also had jerk or grilled chicken & shrimp. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the beach (NOT Orient), but it off the beaten path.

Enjoy your stay.

LL

You will find nothing but classy restaurants in Marigot. It is very "French", and you will not find any of the "chain" type restaurants. Lots of little cafes and such, but very expensive. You might also consider Grande Case. Supposedly the best eating on the French side

We've eaten several times at the Tropicana Restaurant in the marina area of Marigot. It's French and was highly recommended to us by our French waiter on the Rhapsody nearly 10 years ago. The French crew always went there. We have been back several times, always enjoying a terrific lunch. They have daily specials as well as a menu to choose from. You can find a variety of food while looking over the sailboats and other marina vessels. You won't regret the visit, but remember you're on the French side, so it will be pricey.

We've eaten several times at the Tropicana Restaurant in the marina area of Marigot. It's French and was highly recommended to us by our French waiter on the Rhapsody nearly 10 years ago. The French crew always went there. We have been back several times, always enjoying a terrific lunch. They have daily specials as well as a menu to choose from. You can find a variety of food while looking over the sailboats and other marina vessels. You won't regret the visit, but remember you're on the French side, so it will be pricey.

Second the Marina at Marigot. Great restaurants and foods and very scenic. Gran Case, further up the coast, is nothing special in the daytime but nice at night. Since you are off a ship, stick with the Marigot Marina, Port La Royale. Here is a picture, courtesy of KAL, a cc member.

PortLaRoyale.jpg

Here is a map of Marigot

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/sm/mgmap.shtml

I agree that your problem will be deciding among the many good restaurants.

We, too, had lunch at the Tropicana and loved it. It's one of several restaurants at the Marigot marina. We had to wait a few minutes for a table. You can walk around town and shop a little before or after dining. Grand Case is famous throughout the Caribbean and many restaurants there are also on the water. Research the pricing if you can, though.

By the way, there was a very inexpensive minibus service that took us from the Dutch side to Marigot. The people were very warm and helpful. When we stepped off the bus at Marigot, the driver positioned it across the road to make sure we could cross it safely.

Why not use the internet, it is free and a whole lot faster, which I already have done. If you would have read my OP you'd know I already researched St Maarten (St. Martin) but was looking for fellow cruisers with that have been there and actually tasted the food. If I wanted to read books I'd never asked the question. Thanks for a sanctimonious answer!:p

To all that posted suggestions, thank you very much. It will give the DW and I something to think about and check out while we are in St. Maarten (St. Martin, for the confused one). We'll probably get a cab and head over to Marigot for a few hours and make up our minds after we check the menus at all your suggestions and figure it out then. We like to try the local cuisine where ever we go and with the uniqueness of St Maarten (St Martin), sounds very interesting. Fair weather and may the wind be at your backs!

Alan:cool:

Silly me, I thought that this board was for sharing information.

I know of a great place that has great service, friendly diners all around you,

and the price is fantastic. The name of it is........................................................................................................................ YOUR SHIPS DINING ROOM:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Agree that La Vie en Rose is a great place. I enjoyed my meal and hubby absolutely loved the duck. My favorite place on St. Martin, near the airport, is the Turtle Pier Pub. If you decide not to hang out in Marigot all day, check it out. The conch fritters are THE BEST!!!

and the price is fantastic. The name of it is........................................................................................................................ YOUR SHIPS DINING ROOM:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hmmm. I thought the point was to experience something different. Personally, the food is not good enough in the ships dining room for me to give up a new dining experience.

and the price is fantastic. The name of it is........................................................................................................................ YOUR SHIPS DINING ROOM:eek::eek:

I'm glad you have such a great sense of adventure but for reasons that obviously have escaped you:p , we actually like getting off the ship and eating the local food. I doubt if I could have thought of eating in the dining room for free.:rolleyes: Thanks for nothing!:D

Archived