Venice water taxi airport to port

HI

I have the same question. Has anyone requested a route and did they have to pay extra ?

We're traveling in a group of 6 and would love to take a trip down the Grand Canal en route to the ship.

Thanks

Yes, you should be able to ask the water taxi driver to take you from the airport, down the Grand Canal, past San Marco and the Doge's palace, then up the Giudecca Canal and around to the port. They could also go the other way around Venice and take you up the Grand Canal from San Marco to the port.

Please realize that water taxis are very expensive and this trip will cost at least 100 euros ($140 -- no need to tip! Italians do not tip taxis, especially hugely expensive ones). With luggage, water taxis are obviously the most convenient mode of transport. You can fit quite a few people in there so you might be able to arrange a shared ride with other cruise passengers. The group of six should fit in one taxi just fine.

Another idea would be to use the valporetti (the venice buses). There are many different lines. If I remember correctly, the number 1 travels down the Grand Canal. There is also a valporetti line that stops over near the cruise ships. When we were in Venice, we bought a pass that was good for 24 hours and hopped on and off the valporetti all day and night.

Have a great time. I am so envious . . . it was my favorite city in Italy when you got away from the tourists in St. Mark's Square during the day.

My advice is to explore the side alleys!!! Our best adventures were when we got lost.

anne

This was not our experience last year. The water taxis only went as far as Piazelle Michaelangelo. I think it was for security reasons that they didn't allow water taxis into the port, they would get too close the the cruise ships.

From Piazelle Michaelangelo, you have a longish walk, like 15 twenty minutes down to the port, or another regular taxi ride. The usual recommendation from the airport to the port, for door to door service, is to take a regular taxi, not water taxi.

Archived