My Back To Back Spirit Vacation Diary

Lotteryfan

Now I have two favorite cruise review writers... Lotteryfan and Coka. Thanks Lotteryfan! I can't wait for more.

Excellent review Lotteryfan! Hey, I need your address so I can send the trophy! Thank you for taking all the time to write about the back2back. Reading reviews such as this one makes me feel like I was was on the ship too! It was the next best thing to actually being there!

Coka

Hey Coka...somebody mentioned you and I together in the same sentence!!

I'm glad you felt that you were on the ship with us. It took me a little while to get into it but then I felt that maybe I was getting a little too carried away with it.

I'm formulating a comparison story between my last two cruises on the Spirit and should have it ready in a few days. Thanks for continuing to read my thread. Arthur

Lotteryfan,

What a fantastic review! Thank you for your insight and mostly for remembering everthing! We are on the Spirit for a 15-nt NY to NOLA in November in an aft Penthouse and we can't wait. We look forward to reading about your next cruise.

Linda and Jon

Are your suitcases big enough? Maybe we can be.

:D We can always buy bigger suitcases:D

I promise to you though to keep notes through out the cruise...and I really really hope that you continue to do reviews...I have always enjoyed reading reviews however yours truley was WONDERFUL...I really never wanted it to end!!!! It has been so kind of you to take the time to share your experience with all of us!!!!

"I wondered who I had to speak to in order to increase the vacation another two weeks. "

Every time I am coming back I feel the same thing. When we go on the Danw in July I am going to try and do the same kind of review, however, I don't think it will compare. Thanks for the great reads, it was a pleasure.

Thank you so much for that indepth review of the Spirit. We are leaving in August (have been on her before and loved her) for 8 days on the Spirit so I enjoyed reading it and refreshing my memory about her. I didn't see your answer about the bedbugs ... I might have missed it but I was concerned because I had heard rumors of bedbugs on Spirit and Dawn so would love to hear it from you. I'm sure that it was fine though.

Thanks again.

maryjo

I didn't see your answer about the bedbugs ... I might have missed it but I was concerned because I had heard rumors of bedbugs on Spirit and Dawn so would love to hear it from you. I'm sure that it was fine though.

Thanks again.

maryjo

Beacause this is very important, here is what I had originally written

Day Four, Wednesday Night, May 2:

Day Five, Thursday, May 3:

Another thing that I noticed was that I was getting bitten, or stung, by many barely-noticeable flying insects that were on the (private) island and many people seemed to be complaining about this to their friends and family on the island. As I sat on one of the many park benches there I could see these little creatures flying off and landing on the sandy areas that had some grass on it. I kept swatting my legs, and arms where the skin was exposed every time I felt a little pinch. I could not see these tiny creatures on my legs but I remembered some discussion on Cruise Critic about the sand flea situation on the island. WARNING: Anyone heading to the island should…. must… take some kind of bug repellant with them. I usually don’t use the stuff but the next time I go to the private island I will bring some. I had no idea how badly I was bitten up until later.

At 4:30pm it was time for another bingo session. While sitting with my power hand set I noticed that the bug bites that I had incurred earlier in the day were starting to swell.

Before I went to sleep, I noticed all the bug bites that I had gotten while on the island earlier thais day. It made me nervous. That night I was awoken out of a deep sleep by a burning, itching sensation in my legs from the bug bites.

And this is where the entire bed bug situation scare probably came in…. From the first time I pulled back the sheets in my cabin on the very first day to take a nap, I looked for bedbugs because of everything that had been written on Cruise Critic. The sheets and blankets were made of such a bright, white material, that I felt it would be easy to spot any kind of dark bug on them. I did not find anything. When I awoke an hour later when the maid had rang the doorbell, I looked again and could not find anything. I examined my body for bites but did not see anything. Later that first night when I went to sleep for the night I again looked over the bed thoroughly and did not see anything. This routine of looking for bed bugs happened every night and every morning for the first three days. I was very paranoid.

After looking for the first few nights and next mornings I was confident that there were no bed bugs. Even on this night when I was woken out of a sleep from the burning, itching sensation, I looked for bed bugs and did not find anything. I continued to look for the next few nights and did not find any bed bugs. I noticed the bite patterns on my arms and legs and there were no new bites noticed once we got back from the island. Also, there were no bug bites below my sock line or above my shorts line. If there would have been any bed bugs I'm sure they would have attacked my feet also. For the next week and a half the swelling went down and the bug bites healed.

Based on all these observations I am convinced there are no bed bugs on the ship and any bed bug accusations come from all the sand flea bites from their private island.

I'll be leaving on the Spirit in 3 days and have really enjoyed reading your wonderful review! Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Bermuda is one of my favorite places and is really meant to be experienced in more than one day. You and your wife are going to have a blast!

Looking forward to your sequel this fall:):):)

We got up at 7:30am, left the cabin at 7:45, went to the galaxy of the stars and were done by 7:50.

Just wait until the end of the times given. The list we were given said that we would be allowed to go at 7:40. They were already calling our deck by 7:20. So if you just plan on going more towards the end you will be fine. You only have to go early if you have an early excursion. NCL excursions will put you at the early time as well. This time frame you will probably have to wait a little while.

I sailed the 8 day Spirit last summer and I don't remember having to go through customs in Tortola - I had two teens with me and I think they would have killed me if I got them up that early...lol

I've been reading this review since it's start but havent posted a reply. What a wonderful, wonderful review. I'm going on the 6 day Bahama on July 29th and can't wait. At first I thought I would be bored going on the same ship as last year but now I find myself jumping out of my skin to be on her again. It's so great that people post reviews, especially when they're good about the ship you are going on...lol I love the Spirit and really had no major complaints last year, except with Raffles closing the food down too early. I'm sure this year will be even better. We have a BC balcony this year, would love to get upgraded to a suite (wishful thinking). This is our 3rd NCL cruise and I love the freestyle. This will be our 9th cruise in all (and my son is only 16! - he thinks that vactions ARE cruises...lol) - I live in Jersey and have always left from NY so crusing was also the most affordable vacation for us. We love it!!! Would also love to do the 10/28 Crown to Bermuda...I didn't know this would be her last :( Did a Bermuda cruise on RCCL about 6 years ago and Celebrity 5 years ago went to Hamilton and St. George just like the Crown is doing - best itinerary - I love Bermuda and being able to come and go on the ship while in these two ports is the best...Have a WONDERFUL time...

Sharon:)

Would also love to do the 10/28 Crown to Bermuda...I didn't know this would be her last :(

Sharon:)

So why don't you, and everyone else who enjoyed reading my diary, join us? I guarantee you will have a lot of fun with us.

So why don't you, and everyone else who enjoyed reading my diary, join us? I guarantee you will have a lot of fun with us.

I think I'm going to just have to get pricing on the 10/28 cruise on the Crown...it would be great to meet you and you're wife (you're almost famous now by doing this review!)

Lotteryfan...did you get your special pricing for the Spirit B2B directly from NCL? Were they having some kind of special deal? My TA talked to them and is quoting me full price less the normal discount he would give me on any single cruise. I was hoping to do the Spirit next May with the 2 different itineraries instead of a repositioning cruise. :(

I've been home less than a month and need to book so I can have something to look forward to. :eek:

Lotteryfan...did you get your special pricing for the Spirit B2B directly from NCL? Were they having some kind of special deal? My TA talked to them and is quoting me full price less the normal discount he would give me on any single cruise. I was hoping to do the Spirit next May with the 2 different itineraries instead of a repositioning cruise. :(

I've been home less than a month and need to book so I can have something to look forward to. :eek:

First I got my pricing from the NCL web site. They had the 6 day price listed, and then the 8 day price listed and then a special 14 day discounted rate. When I asked many travel agents and web sites what they would charge, several priced out the vacation as two different cruises, which, of course, was very expensive. Only the better travel agents knew that there was a discounted combined price and then I went with the travel agent that took off some of her commission. I have now booked two more criuises with her including another 14 day on the Spirit next March and April that I booked today.

I don't know if the NCL web site is showing next May's 6 day and 8 day itineraries as a possible 14 day. If not, then NCL may not have the price set up in the system as of yet and then your travel agent is charging full price minus his discount. He should be presistant in getting a combined discounted price. It should be there somewhere.

Hey Coka...somebody mentioned you and I together in the same sentence!!

I'm glad you felt that you were on the ship with us. It took me a little while to get into it but then I felt that maybe I was getting a little too carried away with it.

I'm formulating a comparison story between my last two cruises on the Spirit and should have it ready in a few days. Thanks for continuing to read my thread. Arthur

It was me that mentioned Coka.

I'm adding Lotteryfan to my secret list of CC Members that I would someday like to cruise with. Coka was already on it.

Hi Cyrella

Nice to hear from you. We are doing the Crown Sept 30th

We sell cruises now.

Glad your 2 cruises went well.

I am recovering from carpel tunnel surgery on my hand

Hope we can cruise together again.

Are you going to Vegas this year?

Maureen

It would be wonderful if you could put your review all in one place. Why not shop it around for a "Made for TV Movie". I seen worst scripts\shows on TV.

I actually have a lot of this stuff on video as I taped almost 12 hours but I don't think any of the networks would put it on as a mini-series. (Maybe the travel channel?)

OH I can't wait!!!! Thank you for this...we leave for the 8 day spirit cruise in a little less then 3 weeks...and last year we did the 6 day Spirit...so this review has me super excited!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

Hi:

Hope you are having a good time as I write. Yes, your cruise began Saturday, June 2, whoo hoo. Way to go and tell us all about it when you get the chance. I know the cruise will be fun and glad Lotteryfan made your days with all his reviews.

It is nice to cruise and so relaxing. Hope your port of calls were fun.

Happy Cruisn with NCL:)

• 5 weeks later...

Finally figured out how to finish reading this fabulous reivew on the Spirit. I guess there people like myself who really get attached to vacations. It's really good for the soul that we can take those feelings to carry us to the next trip.

Bermuda sounded great. Like the fact the ship docks for a few days and you can come and go as you please.

Happy Sailing!;) Will wait for your next review. Happy belated birthday to you and your wife.

• 4 weeks later...

Lotteryfan and Enjoyscruisn,

DW, DD, and I are considering an 8-day out of NYC to St. Thomas, Tortola, and Samana in Late May/Early June 2008.

How did you find the weather on your second leg? I see some mention in your diary but, overall, how warm was the trip? Is that too early for real warmth?

Thanks!

Sea Hound:D

Archived