Choking - Caribbean Princess

grammyandpoppy

I am just off the Caribbean Princess today. An incident occured while onboard which scared me to death.

On Tuesday, May 8th I was dining in the Sterling Steak House. A piece of filet mignon became lodged in my throat. In spite of many attempts to bring it up and clear my airway I was unsuccessful. I stood up at my table and waved my hands in the air to get staff's attention. Surely at this point some staff member in the restaurant had heard me coughing trying to dislodge the meat. I was clutching my throat, could not talk and was feeling faint when a policeman and fellow passenger came to my aid. He was quickly able to dislodge the meat using the Heimlick maneuver. He saved my life. None of the staff in the dining room had come near me but stood watching. The very next morning I reported this to the head waiter. He replied that staff is not trained to do the Heilich maneuver but he would pass on my comments. I then approached the head maiter d' thinking surely the head waiter could not be right in stating staff was not trained. The maitre d' told me they do not train the staff to do the maneuver since one time a passenger suffered a broken rib as a result of a crew member performing the maneuver and sued Princess. It is now Princess' policy for crew members not to come to the aid of someone choking. He said if I had passed out on the floor, they would have called for a nurse or doctor. Meanwhile I could have been dead. I stood there in disbelief and told him I would correspond with Princess regarding this matter. Later I talked to a waiter and he told me about an incident when he had done the heimlich maneuver on a passenger and was later reprimanded.

I know we live in a world where many people are sue happy but it just blows my mind that some one in each of the dining venues is not trained and allowed to do the heimlich maneuver. I wonder if it is hands off with CPR also.

But for the grace of God and the policeman named Mike from Plantation, Florida I am here today.

Glad to hear that you are o.k.

Wow, it sounds like they need to train their staff on the Heimlich manuever and inforce its use if someone is choking. They cannot be sued because of a good samaritan law, if I am not mistaken, if someone does indeed break a rib. I would think a broken rib would be a small price to pay, considering someone could die of choking.

Carly

Wow, i am sure gald you are o.k. That must of been very scary, and I am so glad someone was there to help you.

I must say I can understand why all wait staff are not trained for medical emergencies. But it might be a good idea to have at least one staff member in each area who has first aid training. I guess similar to Indusrial First Aid training that we have at work.

I work as a transit driver and we were given basic (and I mean basic) first aid training when we got out of training (for me 10 years ago). When we have medical emergencies on the bus we call for assistance immediately. I know we have been criticized for not being trained more, but that is not what we do.

So with Princess the waiters are trained to serve, but they should also be trained to call for assistance immediately whenever there is a situation. And hopefully they would call way before you passed out!

Again, glad to hear you are o.k.

I'm sorry you had that experience and I agree that they should have some procedure in place in the event a passenger has a medical emergency in the dining room. It's sad that someone sued because of a broken rib when their life was saved. I can't imagine how frightening that must have been for you! I'm glad you're OK.

I am just off the Caribbean Princess today. An incident occured while onboard which scared me to death.

On Tuesday, May 8th I was dining in the Sterling Steak House. A piece of filet mignon became lodged in my throat. In spite of many attempts to bring it up and clear my airway I was unsuccessful. I stood up at my table and waved my hands in the air to get staff's attention. Surely at this point some staff member in the restaurant had heard me coughing trying to dislodge the meat. I was clutching my throat, could not talk and was feeling faint when a policeman and fellow passenger came to my aid. He was quickly able to dislodge the meat using the Heimlick maneuver. He saved my life. None of the staff in the dining room had come near me but stood watching. The very next morning I reported this to the head waiter. He replied that staff is not trained to do the Heilich maneuver but he would pass on my comments. I then approached the head maiter d' thinking surely the head waiter could not be right in stating staff was not trained. The maitre d' told me they do not train the staff to do the maneuver since one time a passenger suffered a broken rib as a result of a crew member performing the maneuver and sued Princess. It is now Princess' policy for crew members not to come to the aid of someone choking. He said if I had passed out on the floor, they would have called for a nurse or doctor. Meanwhile I could have been dead. I stood there in disbelief and told him I would correspond with Princess regarding this matter. Later I talked to a waiter and he told me about an incident when he had done the heimlich maneuver on a passenger and was later reprimanded.

I know we live in a world where many people are sue happy but it just blows my mind that some one in each of the dining venues is not trained and allowed to do the heimlich maneuver. I wonder if it is hands off with CPR also.

But for the grace of God and the policeman named Mike from Plantation, Florida I am here today.

I am glad you are ok and thank God for Mike - I have my wife and myself signed up for a local training class on CPR and the Heimlich - its a training class taught by the local firefighters and EMTS. I know how to preform both by my wife doesn't and you never know when you are going to need these simple life saving methods

Sure glad everything worked out well for you. Sorry you had to have that kind of experience.

But, on the other hand, would we expect the waitstaff or managers in our local restaurants to all be trained in the Heimlich maneuver? How many locals are trained?

ALL crew are trained in basic first aid, period. It's international law. Every crew member must have a STCW95 certificate (Standards of Training Certification and Watch keeping for Seafarers) to work on-board. This certificate includes the following training:

Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention

Elementary First Aid

Personal Safety and Social Responsibility

Personal Survival Techniques

If they don't have one when they arrive, they must train on-board ship within the first few weeks. All crew members from the Philippines have this as standard because they receive this training before they join the ship in their own countries, as do most other nationalities who supply maritime workers to the industry.

Princess may have a policy of not allowing crew other than medical staff intervene, but if they do it's new because that certainly was not the case when I was there (left in 2006).

"STCW 95 stipulates the required competences associated with different tasks, the knowledge and understanding required to perform them, methods for demonstrating competence and criteria for evaluating it. The Convention embodies provision for "hands-on" training and the development of basic skills through use of simulators, laboratory training equipment and other practical training aids.

Although experience at sea remains an important part of a seafarers overall career development, it is no longer be enough to "serve your time."

In 2002, the International STCW 95 convention went into full effect. Since then, all seafarers must be trained in compliance with its provisions and carry certificates to that effect. Vessels are now subject to detention and seizure for non-compliance."

I m sorry that happened to you. It's sad that the world has come to this that your fellow man can not help save your life. Glad those that did were able to save you. You might ask your doctor to check your esophagus.for Barretts. I have had that problem in the past and they had to stretch it.

If that happens again try pounding on your chest. That seems to help me.

Glad that you are OK. The Heimlich maneuver is a great technique invented by a Dr. Heimlich. Others call it abdominal thrusts. When performing this procedure, there is always the possibility of fracturing a rib which in turn can result (at times) in a perforated lung, liver, etc. I am surprised about this internal policy because (at least in the US) these employees should be covered under the good Samaritan Law.

Glad to hear the poster is ok! That must have been so scary. Just an FYI- Good Samaritan Laws vary widely by state and provide different types of protection (some only protect people trained in first aid, most laws WON'T protect doctors/EMS.) It's sad, but true, that generally, bystanders do not have a legal duty to rescue you. Hopefully this experience will convince Princess to reevaluate how crew members should respond in an emergency!

Glad to hear the poster is ok! That must have been so scary. Just an FYI- Good Samaritan Laws vary widely by state and provide different types of protection (some only protect people trained in first aid, most laws WON'T protect doctors/EMS.) It's sad, but true, that generally, bystanders do not have a legal duty to rescue you. Hopefully this experience will convince Princess to reevaluate how crew members should respond in an emergency!

Actually, in some states, you could be criminally charged with failure to render aid but I believe this is geared toward motor vehicle accident. And yes, I should have been more specific. Although good Samaritan Laws would not protect professional health care workers, it should cover those employed in the hospitality industry.

....A piece of filet mignon became lodged in my throat....I was clutching my throat, could not talk and was feeling faint when a policeman and fellow passenger came to my aid....It is now Princess' policy for crew members not to come to the aid of someone choking....QUOTE]

OK, I’ll bite the bullet and ask why you expect the staff of Princess to watch you personally 24/7, train the staff for any and all emergency situations and you yourself not be held responsible for your own actions.

YOU cut your meat, YOU choose the size of the bite and YOU made the mistake. Instead of making a post about being conscious of what you shove in your mouth because Princess’ waiters are not trained in the sub routines of CPR, you point fingers at everyone else.

Thank you for letting us know that ship staff who make about $10 a week have not been trained in how to be a “first responder”, but somehow I knew this already.

Despite what you may think, Princess is a business. Their job is to make money for the shareholders. Because they have been sued in the past by other pax, this policy was put in place.

Ps

If one of your servers, who was not trained, had come to your aid, odds show that the pax who had the training would have sat there for another minute or two. The staff themselves did what they should have done, stay out of the way.

....A piece of filet mignon became lodged in my throat....I was clutching my throat, could not talk and was feeling faint when a policeman and fellow passenger came to my aid....It is now Princess' policy for crew members not to come to the aid of someone choking....QUOTE]

OK, I’ll bite the bullet and ask why you expect the staff of Princess to watch you personally 24/7, train the staff for any and all emergency situations and you yourself not be held responsible for your own actions.

YOU cut your meat, YOU choose the size of the bite and YOU made the mistake. Instead of making a post about being conscious of what you shove in your mouth because Princess’ waiters are not trained in the sub routines of CPR, you point fingers at everyone else.

Thank you for letting us know that ship staff who make about $10 a week have not been trained in how to be a “first responder”, but somehow I knew this already.

Despite what you may think, Princess is a business. Their job is to make money for the shareholders. Because they have been sued in the past by other pax, this policy was put in place.

Ps

If one of your servers, who was not trained, had come to your aid, odds show that the pax who had the training would have sat there for another minute or two. The staff themselves did what they should have done, stay out of the way.

Since you'll be on the CB in 3 weeks, you'd better hope that if you need help, help is there for you. And since I'll be there too, I will make it my business not to make your aquaintance. Your "concern" for your fellow man is appalling.

Pia

You say that "Surely at this point some staff member in the restaurant had heard me coughing trying to dislodge the meat." If you were coughing they may not know that you were in trouble. Oh yes, you can do the heimlich maneuver on yourself! I am glad that Mike was there for you. Let all teach our family and friends how to help ourselves.

Sure glad everything worked out well for you. Sorry you had to have that kind of experience.

But, on the other hand, would we expect the waitstaff or managers in our local restaurants to all be trained in the Heimlich maneuver? How many locals are trained?

When I worked at a restaurant, we had no training of this type. However, that was about a million years ago. I don't know what current standards are in restaurants or hotels. I can't imagine that we can expect people to have emergency medical training wherever we go, although it would be nice. This kind of thing could happen in the produce section of your local grocery store, and there probably wouldn't be any staff on hand trained for this kind of thing. Fortunately for the OP and countless others like him, there are many regular citizens familiar with the Heimlich and CPR.

Since you'll be on the CB in 3 weeks, you'd better hope that if you need help, help is there for you. And since I'll be there too, I will make it my business not to make your aquaintance. Your "concern" for your fellow man is appalling.

Pia

I’m sure we will get together at some point.

As for the OP, she has already stated she recovered, the concern of total strangers from a news group are meaningless. The knowledge that you should not depend on the guy refilling your water glass is priceless. Should anything happen while on the cruise, I will not waste valuable seconds waiting for that drink runner to put down his tray. If you saw some of the strange things we pack, you would know we believe in being self-reliant. Should I need a hand, you will be the first I call on. And if the need arises, call on me; hate to waste all the city’s money wasted in training me in disaster response.

By the way, in all of her complaints, why did the OP not include her own husband who was the closest of anyone and should have been fully aware of her distress?

In my Oregon restaurant we are trained and are at the ready for any emergency. When you work around people eating, the likelihood that eventually someone will need emergency care is pretty high. I am glad that someone took some responsibility to help you out.

I am glad now to be forewarned that if something happens to me or my husband there will be no help from the staff. By the way, the training is a minimal amount of to time to be able to save someone's life. Kris

The bottom line here is look at what our "sue happy" society has done. Maybe the good samaritan law would protect the person who attempts to help. How much money does the helper spend on legal fees to defend themselves until the law rules in their favor.

Just another example of why we need a "loser pays" legal system. Then maybe, the gold digging "victims" would think twice about suing someone in this type of situation.

That being said, I've had first aid training. I would not wait for the wait staff to help if I was close by and someone else did not beat me to you in an attempt to help.

Glad to hear you are ok.

Heimlich maneuver on self

Information:

"If you are choking on something, you can perform the Heimlich maneuver on yourself:

1. Make a fist. Place the thumb below your rib cage and above your navel.
  2. Grasp your fist with your other hand. Press it into your abdomen with a quick upward thrust.

You can also lean over a table edge, chair, or railing. Press your upper abdomen against the edge with a quick thrust."

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/001983.html

Ps

The Heimlich maneuver is a life saving technique and is considered to be first aid. It is used to dislodge food that has stuck in the trachea instead of going into the esophagus as it should. It has very little to do with cutting your meat, the size of the bite, etc. but more to do with talking while eating and inhaling food rather than swallowing it, something like choking when liquid goes down the wrong way. It frequently happens in restaurants, and restaurant workers, or anyone else, that knows this easy technique can indeed be a lifesaver. I was a patron in a restaurant once and used the Heimlich maneuver to help a lady at the next table who was choking. Sometimes while eating and socializing, as we all do, accidents happen. I think you are out of line criticizing the OP.

Some people here seem to think that it's just another restaurant. It's not, it's on a ship and there are different rules applying. I have already posted the rules they have on-board in my original post.

It's not the same as on land!

I was answering a question someone posed re: are land based restaurant employees trained to respond to this type of emergency! I was not trying to insist that they are one in the same or that they should be treated as such. I read your post regarding shipboard training, but apparently you did not read the quote to which I was responding, which had nothing to do with shipboard training requirements and was simply a question posed out of curiosity about land based policies.:mad:

quote:

The Heimlich maneuver is a life saving technique and is considered to be first aid. It is used to dislodge food that has stuck in the trachea instead of going into the esophagus as it should. It has very little to do with cutting your meat, the size of the bite, etc. but more to do with talking while eating and inhaling food rather than swallowing it, something like choking when liquid goes down the wrong way. It frequently happens in restaurants, and restaurant workers, or anyone else, that knows this easy technique can indeed be a lifesaver. I was a patron in a restaurant once and used the Heimlich maneuver to help a lady at the next table who was choking. Sometimes while eating and socializing, as we all do, accidents happen. I think you are out of line criticizing the OP.

I agree, no one inhales food or liquid on purpose, and is there really anyone alive on the planet who has not done it? I've never had my airway blocked by food, but it is a horrible sensation when liquid goes into the trachea. I've seen it happen to people who swallow right as someone says something funny, and they begin to laugh at the same time. Can be scary, but I've never had to perform the maneuver.

jlp20 you certainly are a fairly lose with the lips when you don't understand all of the workings of a human body. Size of the portion is one factor. Texture and dryness is another. There are more. If you would blame this OP for choking themselves, you likely felt no urge to phone your mother on Mother's Day either.. Right. In fact if you were a cop, you'd give her a speeding ticket too,,, right?

I was saved by the Heimlich several years ago and thus.. the name.

Should anything similar happen to you, I hope you are flooded with great big football types who are more than willing to do "The Move". Even with several cracked ribs, you'll likely be more than willing to send a thank you card and flowers after the dust settles.

Of course if you are a vegan this would never happen to you... right?

LOL;)

Archived