What to do?!

crusingirl01

We will be in Costa Maya in July. I have read just about everything on Costa Maya and still do not have a clue on what to do there. Can we stay around and shop? What is the Cat's Meow? If anyone could give me some info it would be appreciated.

We will be in Costa Maya in July. I have read just about everything on Costa Maya and still do not have a clue on what to do there. Can we stay around and shop? What is the Cat's Meow? If anyone could give me some info it would be appreciated.

I think the key is to remember that you will be on vacation and you should

relax and have a good time, all while not letting your guard down.

Don't become paranoid or let one person's negative experience on an island put a damper on your vacation.

Granted...we should all be alert and exercise caution -- regardless of

where you are. Things could happen in Costa Maya or right at home

in your own living room!

I have not been to Costa Maya...YET. I will be there in September and

am looking forward to it with great anticipation. I will be there as a

Solo cruiser and plan to spend part of my time having a Margarita and

Coconut Shrimp at the Cat's Meow and then moving on down to have

a nice massage on the beach.

I am going to keep in perspective that only ONE person appears to have

had major issues on the island, and that is a very small number considering

how many cruise ships visit this location every week.

So, educate yourself on the options the island has to offer and go there

looking to have a great time. I bet you will! I know that I am going to.

If you like to snorkel there are very reasonable snorkeling trips. We booked it in the port area and then took a taxi van to Tequilla Beach where we boarded a boat for a 10 minute ride to the reef. It was a 45 minute guided snorkel. $15.00.

After, we used the outdoor shower at Tequilla Beach and then walked down the sleepy little street for shopping, drinks, food and a massage.

enjoy

Sandy

costamaya.JPG

The port of Costa Maya itself is a "Made for the (Tourist) Trade" port. Just a few years ago there was nothing there. In the picture above you can see ships docked at the pier. While it looks like there is a beach area just below the docks, there are large rocks all along the beach.

There is a large pool for swimming or just hanging out. We've never used it but I understand that it is salt water, just like on most cruise ships. The plaza itself is about 10 acres of shopping (stores and stalls).

If you walk directly to the back of the port area on the right hand side you will find a window that sells taxi tickets to the nearby village of Mahajual about five minutes away. One way to the village is $3. The return is $2. (No, I have no idea why:rolleyes: )

Mahajual is basically a quarter mile strip along the beach with seating for various restaurants located all along the beach. Across the road (no auto traffic) are the restaurants themselves and shops.

We have been to Costa Maya/Mahajual twice, once in November 2006 and just last week. We do a little shopping at the port and head on to Mahajual for lunch and a bucket of beer:D

We did notice that some of the sales people in Mahajual seemed more aggresive on this last cruise. Could be because this time of year there are only 3 ships per week. Whereas, in November, they get about a dozen a week. Competition for the tourist dollar could have had something to do with it.

If you have a port intensive cruise and have planned excursions for the day before and day after Costa Maya, it might be a good day to just kick back at either the port area or Mahajual.

Charlie

Here is my recommendation along with 12 of our 24 others that cruised on April 29th. The other 12 were very disappointed they missed what we did. We got off the boat (valor) and walked throught the touristy part, then got a bus to the downtown beaches (short trip I think $3pp) Got off at the second stop, to go to the Cats Meow. I highly recommend doing this and not booking an excursion, you will be glad you did. They have the best food (nachos, homemade salsa & chips, coconut shrimp and the guacamole is excellent) $10 buckets of ice cold beer, and Barbara the owner spent alot of time with us. She is wonderful. They have the eating area covered and its accross from the restaurant on the beach. You can swim, lay out, and stay in the shade if you choose. What a beautiful place. Barbara is opening a resort there, and we will be planning a trip to go there to stay. This is the first port EVER that we wanted to stay. Picture perfect.

Costa Maya was one of my favorite destinations to relax and simply do nothing. I would highly recommend renting a golf cart just outside of the port entrance for $60 a day. The people at the stand will give you map of all the local destinations. We decided to drive to John and Suzie's (the farthest destination on the map, about 7 miles outside of town) and found paradise. John and Suzie are Americans who have lived in Costa Maya for years. They own acres of private beach front property and serve the best margaritas with only top shelf tequila. We spent about 4 hours sipping margaritas and talking with John and Suzie about local gossip and life in Costa Maya. During our time there, only about 6 other people stopped by. Suzie also makes her own Caribbean clothes known as "Jungle Woman," which can be purchased. After walking on about a mile of uninhabited beach, swimming and snorkeling we forced ourselves to leave and check out the town. We spent a total of $45 for margaritas for myself and my wife, freshly squeezed lemonades for our daughter, a Hawaiian shirt and a t-shirt. On our way back through town we stopped and got a $20 massage and had the shrimp at the Cat's Meow. If you want a relaxing day with good people, no crowds and a private beach that's the size of all the establishments in Mahahual combined, you have got to check out John and Suzie's.

Jason, were you all able to fit in one golf cart?

I have 5 adults in all going in October. Would one cart be ok for us?

What you did sounds like the exact itinerary we would love.

Since you mentioned snorkeling, I assume you had your own snorket gear with you. Is that correct?

Jason, were you all able to fit in one golf cart?

I have 5 adults in all going in October. Would one cart be ok for us?

What you did sounds like the exact itinerary we would love.

Since you mentioned snorkeling, I assume you had your own snorket gear with you. Is that correct?

I don't think you would be able to fit 5 adults very comfortably in one golf cart. In fact from what I recall the people at the rental station told us that you could receive a ticket for more than 4 people on a cart. For us the $60 for the day to go and do what we wanted was worth every penny, especially when you see all of the dune buggy, ATV and speed boat excursions playing "follow the leader."

As far as the snorkeling, we had our own gear that we bought at Costco for $30 a peice. We used it in Cozumel and a little in Costa Maya. I do have to warn you that it is quite a swim out to the reef in Costa Maya if you leave from the beach. Additionally, John warned us that since they recently started the speed boat excursions it is dangerous to swim to the reef. He said the boats go right over the reef and a snorkler was recently hit by a boat. I guess there is a petition to have the speed boat path moved away from the reef. With that said we (mainly my daughter) snorkeled close to the beach, but there wasn't much to see.

Costa Maya was one of my favorite destinations to relax and simply do nothing. I would highly recommend renting a golf cart just outside of the port entrance for $60 a day. The people at the stand will give you map of all the local destinations. We decided to drive to John and Suzie's (the farthest destination on the map, about 7 miles outside of town) and found paradise. John and Suzie are Americans who have lived in Costa Maya for years. They own acres of private beach front property and serve the best margaritas with only top shelf tequila. We spent about 4 hours sipping margaritas and talking with John and Suzie about local gossip and life in Costa Maya. During our time there, only about 6 other people stopped by. Suzie also makes her own Caribbean clothes known as "Jungle Woman," which can be purchased. After walking on about a mile of uninhabited beach, swimming and snorkeling we forced ourselves to leave and check out the town. We spent a total of $45 for margaritas for myself and my wife, freshly squeezed lemonades for our daughter, a Hawaiian shirt and a t-shirt. On our way back through town we stopped and got a $20 massage and had the shrimp at the Cat's Meow. If you want a relaxing day with good people, no crowds and a private beach that's the size of all the establishments in Mahahual combined, you have got to check out John and Suzie's.

Do John & Suzie have a web site? Sounds right up our alley, we will be there in Sept.

How can I find out more about John & Suzie's place?

Thanks, Susan

Do John & Suzie have a web site? Sounds right up our alley, we will be there in Sept.

How can I find out more about John & Suzie's place?

Thanks, Susan

No I do not think they have a website. I originally heard about them month's ago on one of the message boards but nothing since. We decided to drive our golf cart to get away from the crowds, do some site seeing and try to locate John & Suzie's. If you decide to drive there, be patient there is only one road down to their place and you will eventually find them.

A little about John and Suzie......

John is from Boston and spent about 20 years as a scientist and Suzie is from California but not sure what she did for a living. About 15 years ago they decided to live a slower paced life so John traveled the globe looking for the perfect beach. They finally settled in Costa Maya and built a 2 story home on the beach where they purchased something like 5 acres of beach front property. They do not operate a bar or restaurant but open their home and beach up to anyone who would like to visit. I got the feeling like I was visiting my neighbor for a couple of drinks and great conversation when I visited their place. They basically make drinks and food right in their kitchen in which you are more then welcome to come on in while they are preparing you a margarita from freshly squeezed limes or grab a cold beer out of their fridge. They operate by word of mouth and I think they like the smaller crowds since both John and Suzie seem to enjoy grabbing a beer themselves and kicking back to enjoy the company of their guests.

No I do not think they have a website. I originally heard about them month's ago on one of the message boards but nothing since. We decided to drive our golf cart to get away from the crowds, do some site seeing and try to locate John & Suzie's. If you decide to drive there, be patient there is only one road down to their place and you will eventually find them.

A little about John and Suzie......

John is from Boston and spent about 20 years as a scientist and Suzie is from California but not sure what she did for a living. About 15 years ago they decided to live a slower paced life so John traveled the globe looking for the perfect beach. They finally settled in Costa Maya and built a 2 story home on the beach where they purchased something like 5 acres of beach front property. They do not operate a bar or restaurant but open their home and beach up to anyone who would like to visit. I got the feeling like I was visiting my neighbor for a couple of drinks and great conversation when I visited their place. They basically make drinks and food right in their kitchen in which you are more then welcome to come on in while they are preparing you a margarita from freshly squeezed limes or grab a cold beer out of their fridge. They operate by word of mouth and I think they like the smaller crowds since both John and Suzie seem to enjoy grabbing a beer themselves and kicking back to enjoy the company of their guests.

Sounds more and more interesting to me, moreso since I am originally from the Boston area and my dad originally had wanted to do something similar in Belize!

If you don't mind some additional questions......you said they have beach property, can you swim while visiting them? If I remember you said something about getting a map in town when you got your golf cart and followed the map to their location, does the map say "John & Suzie's"? Is it safet to "assume" they don't mind people dropping in or is there someway a reservation must be made. Thanks again. I'm loving all this great info for something different and exciting to do. Do you have any photos from your visit there?

Susan

Sounds more and more interesting to me, moreso since I am originally from the Boston area and my dad originally had wanted to do something similar in Belize!

If you don't mind some additional questions......you said they have beach property, can you swim while visiting them? If I remember you said something about getting a map in town when you got your golf cart and followed the map to their location, does the map say "John & Suzie's"? Is it safet to "assume" they don't mind people dropping in or is there someway a reservation must be made. Thanks again. I'm loving all this great info for something different and exciting to do. Do you have any photos from your visit there?

Susan

When you rent the cart they will give you a map with something like 7 or 8 marked locations down the main road through town and beyond. John and Suzie's is the farthest location they want you to go since they will not patrol for broken down carts past that point. It is clearly marked on the map and you can not miss it. I might want to mention that we were the only ship in port that day and did not have a problem renting a golf cart. However, I think they only had 5 carts available when we rented. I recently read somewhere that you can reserve a cart but I'm not sure how that works.

You do not need any type of reservation, they have plenty of property and beach to accomodate many people. John and Suzie know exactly when ships will be in port so they are expecting people to come. We went directly to their place and met John (Suzie was out getting ice), who was setting up the tables, hammock's and a swing chair for the day. We walked on their private beach for a while and waded out in the water a few yards before Suzie returned. You can definetly swim if you prefer. We chose just to relax and visit with John and Suzie instead of swimming or snorkeling.

I will add some pictures once I figure out how to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I have used the Maya Luna Hotel resort as our haven during our past two trips to the port. Contact Caroline via her email info@hotelmayaluna.com great food and reasonably priced drinks, we also had access to sea Kayak and hotel restrooms. Use yellow cabs at end of port blvd- arrange for them to pick u up also- we paid after they picked us up for return to port - remember to give them local time -not ship time- No crowds or venders.

Wife and I have used the Maya Luna Hotel resort as our haven during our past two trips to the port. Contact Caroline via her email info@hotelmayaluna.com great food and reasonably priced drinks, we also had access to sea Kayak and hotel restrooms. Use yellow cabs at end of port blvd- arrange for them to pick u up also- we paid after they picked us up for return to port - remember to give them local time -not ship time- No crowds or venders.

a6guy(I bet you're more like a 10guy)

Do you recall how much the RT was to the Maya Luna Hotel in the yellow cabs? Were the drivers bilingual?

Thanks!

Archived