What About Getting Refunds On Excursions In Alaska?

jstpshe

If I book excursions in Alaska with companys and I have to cancel, will they give me my money back? Are there any penalties? How soon should you cancel to get full refund?

What excurisons have you booked that don't offer full refund back if you cancel or that charge a certain percentage/ deposit that you loose if you cancel?

Are there some companys that won't give money back if weather is too bad, you can't go and have'nt canceled?

I want to start booking things soon?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

Every company has different policies - so you just have to check them out before you book. The reputable helo and floatplane cruises will give you a full refund if the weather is too bad for them to fly. If YOU cancel, it's a different situation - according the the particular company. My advice is to just check the fine print, and get travel insurance.

Some of the trips I booked also will not charge you if the ship is too late to reschedule. Just make sure you ask each company. Interesting that HAL charged for every excursion when booked but the ones I booked independently aren't charging until I get there (one did charge 30 days out).

If you're anything like me - changing your mind quite often - DON'T book excursions until next fall at the earliest! It is way too easy to "tinker" with plans when you have a long time until your cruise! :D

The independent excursions I booked all wanted at least a 50% deposit, and Chilkoot Charters in Skagway charged the whole price at time of booking. Some have a minimal cancellation penalty (like 10%) no matter how far out you cancel, and the penalty increases the closer you get to the date of your excursion. I added an extra $1000/pp in trip insurance coverage for our prepaid excursions and hotels - just in case. But insurance won't cover you if you cancel because you changed your mind and lost some of your deposit.

**By the way, CJ - what did you think of Adventure of the Seas? I booked that for my son and me during his spring break next March. :)

Archived