Stroller on Shore Excursion???

KerCar

Is it possible to bring a stroller on a ship sponsered shore excursion? Do the vans usually have an area to store them or am I better off just sticking to my front carrier? I'm thinking of doing the Coral World/Coki Beach excursion (St. Thomas) through NCL. Thanks!

You could easily do Coral World/Coki Beach on your own. Coral world is paved but also has stairs that need to be climbed for some outdoor exhibits and for going into the aquarium. The helmet dives were ongoing while we were there, it was very interesting to watch, but after watching I have no interest in doing it. Coki beach has the BEST snorkeling that I have ever done! This is a beach, not stroller friendly. My suggestion would be to have a carrier for the child.

If you do this on your own you can stay for as long as you like. If you go on the excursion you have little time to enjoy everything there is to see there. I don't remember what the taxi cost, but I'm sure that you can find the prices posted somewhere. Enjoy your trip!

We bring our stroller everywhere. We always find a way to get it in a van or taxi because we're usually the only one with a kid on an excursion. But we never go during high kid vacation travel times (holidays or spring breaks).

We brought our Graco stroller (part of an infant seat travel system--has big wheels, reclines, sunshade) to Coki beach in 2005. See picture, the stroller is the in the upper right. I could push it along the beach where the sand was more packed. Sure, bringing it everywhere and in the sand is wear and tear, but you can find good strollers for good prices at WalMart type place or even a second hand shop. Or, look at some garage sales.

I think it is worth it to have a place to put your child when s/he is tired. You may find the front carrier too hot or tiring after a whole day of excursions.

(Michele--great picture of this girls on FOS!!)

1351829006_cokicrop.jpg.11e41233ab031e969a5a9152b850b7c6.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions and pictures!!!!!

Although we'll only have 3 hours, I'm still leaning towards doing this one through NCL. It actually will cost us less to book through the ship and if we do we won't need to bring our daughter's car seat. I'm glad to hear you guys have had success with bringing strollers on the excursion vans. Mine is almost identical to the one in Crusinmama's picture (which is adorable BTW:)) so we should be good!

I bring my double stroller on excursions - since I'm on my own with my twins, I need it. I've never had a problem - and, as the previous poster noted - it's invaluable to have a place to put them down to nap, etc. Plus it works overtime as a place for me to keep water, toys, etc.

One reason I choose the ships excursions rather than going on my own is because if the bus gets a flat tire or there's traffic or anything, the ship will generally wait. If I'm on my own and encounter a problem getting back, the ship will sail without us.

Have a great trip!

After you get down the cruise pier and on to a waiting taxi, Coki beach was a 30-35 minute drive. It was past the ferry launch to St. John's. We did it because some people in our group wanted to snorkel and it was supposed to be the best snorkeling in St. Thomas and there was an aquarium but we never went in.

Archived