Formal attire questions

splash79

Hi everyone! This is my first post, but I've been reading for the past month or so. I think this is a great website and has answered a ton of my questions about cruising.

My fiance and I are taking a cruise for our honeymoon in July. We're cruising with RCI and are heading to the Caribbean. Now, this cruise will be our first experience dressing in formalwear since our Sr. prom, ten years ago. So, I have a couple of questions, as you can imagine.

I bought this dress for the cruise and was planning on wearing it one of the formal nights. However, after reading many posts on here, I'm concerned that it won't be formal enough. When I saw it online, I didn't think it would work, but changed my mind when I tried it on. It's a silky/satin material and fits like a dream.

0900631b81204b07M.jpg?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

I am so completely NOT a dress person (haven't worn a dress or skirt in 5+ years), but I love this dress. Thoughts? The other dress I have for the second formal night is a cocktail dress and quite a bit more formal than this, so I'm covered there.

My second question. I have no idea what to do with my hair for the formal nights. I can't do an updo to save my life, never have. I generally wear it down, half up, or in a ponytail and that's it. I have very stubborn hair that refuses to stay in a bun, french twist, and knocks out hairpins, so I have no clue how to make it look dressy. I have straight-ish, thick hair and it's currently a couple of inches below my shoulders and layered. I may or may not chop it off to just above my shoulders before the cruise. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or websites handy where I could check out super easy updos?

Thanks for any suggestions and for reading my super long intro post!

I like this dress. It's something I would wear on a non-formal night, but I'm totally a dress person - I only pack dresses. You will not be out of place in this dress on formal night. Sure, there will be plenty more dressed up than you, but a lot just like you. I'm not sure about RCCL, but on Carnival, the first formal night is usually the more formal night, so you might want to wear your cocktail dress on that night.

As for your hair, I don't have any specific style suggestions. I have a short bob that I either put in a sparkly headband or just curl to give it more volume. It's your honeymoon - why not splurge at least one of the nights and go to the salon to get a great updo?

You can accessorize this dress to make it look a little more formal. In my opinion, and others can disagree, I think the dress looks a little to sundress-like and not all that formal.

splash79:

Go down to Page 16 in this very category. Part way down, about the 11th post down you will see a thread that is entitled: "Super Easy Updo you can do yourself" It contained a website that many seemed to like. I haven't the slightest idea if it will be of assistance.........but it might.

The dress is very pretty. You'll be just fine. I'm mindful that you are getting married in just two months, so since "it feels like a dream," please don't stress too much about whether it's dressy enough and "run" to shop for anything else when you've better things to do!

You mentioned that your other cocktail dress is dressier and I agree with Chigirlcruzin, wear that dress on first formal night. Those nights are always a tad more formal. Use this for 2nd?.

My other suggestion has to do with the shoes shown in the picture. I think they are kind of clunky, casual (they appear leather)and a pair of black strappy, fabric or sparkly-on-black sandals would be more in keeping with it's feminine lines and dressier. Those are easy to find. And, if you got those, would they work with the other dress, too? You didn't say what it looked like.

Have a wonderful wedding........and wonderful cruise.

Martha

PS: I never have cared for ANY necklace with a halter top.

Thank you all for the feedback! I agree with those who have said that it's a bit informal looking in the picture, but it doesn't look like that in person. That's the model, btw, not me. :) I can't take a decent picture of it on me because of the pattern and I'm still playing around with my digital camera.

I plan to dress it up with accessories as well. I have several pairs of dressy, dangly earrings that I could wear with it and a some bracelets that I'm playing around with.

Chigirlcruzin, I had thought about making a salon appointment, but I'm not sure if we could swing the cost. I figure, at the very least, I could straighten my hair or play up the waves, depending on how my hair handles the humidity.

FinelyRetired, thank you for the thread help. I searched the boards forever and couldn't find too much about hair. You're also right that I've got quite a bit on my plate with the wedding. We're currently 6 weeks out (getting married the end of June), so we're getting down to crunch time!

As far as shoes go, I have a couple of pairs of shoes in my closet that I have thought about wearing. One is strappy, but has a black wedge heel. They are cuter than I'm describing them, but I wonder if they will be too 'heavy' to go with the feel of the dress. The other pair is strappy as well, is not a wedge, but they are a very deep red/burgandy with a snakeskin pattern that is pretty subtle. I'm planning on thinking about the shoe thing for a bit and if I decide to buy a new pair, I've seen a ton in several shops that would look awesome.

I couldn't find my other dress online, so I took a pic of the dress on the hanger. I hope I have the terminology of 'cocktail' correct, in regards to the dress. It hits me a couple of inches below the knee and has a kind of kicky hemline. The trim below the bust is chiffon, as is the edges of the bustline.

webblackdress2.jpg

webblackdresstop1.jpg

If the wedges are strappy on the top...they'll probably go great with the dress. And not be heavy at all. Try them....don't "run" around too much. The other may well work, too. Have your tried them?

And you're right.......if you want another strappy sandal......they are EVERYWHERE!

I did find the thread and I'm definitely going to try that! It sounds really easy.

Yep, the wedges are strappy on top. Open toe and heel. I'm a bit of a klutz, so anything resembling stilletos would make me break an ankle, which is why I go for sturdier heels.

Thanks!

As far as shoes go, I have a couple of pairs of shoes in my closet that I have thought about wearing. One is strappy, but has a black wedge heel. They are cuter than I'm describing them, but I wonder if they will be too 'heavy' to go with the feel of the dress. The other pair is strappy as well, is not a wedge, but they are a very deep red/burgandy with a snakeskin pattern that is pretty subtle. I'm planning on thinking about the shoe thing for a bit and if I decide to buy a new pair, I've seen a ton in several shops that would look awesome.

I couldn't find my other dress online, so I took a pic of the dress on the hanger. I hope I have the terminology of 'cocktail' correct, in regards to the dress. It hits me a couple of inches below the knee and has a kind of kicky hemline. The trim below the bust is chiffon, as is the edges of the bustline.

webblackdress2.jpg

webblackdresstop1.jpg

If the wedges are leather, they will not be dressy enough for a cocktail dress IMO. They should be fabric. Also, I do finrd most wedges are too heavy looking to wear with cocktail dresss, with a few exceptions. I saw a pair of Laundry satin wedges encrusted with beads which were pretty. Personlly, I would not invest in a really nice pair of wedges as I think they are trendy. I tend to buy quality footwear and keep it forever.:)

Golly, (drawing in breath like Randy Jackson when he is ready to slam an American Idol contestant), I do not think wedgie shoes are correct for formal gowns or cocktail dresses.

In fact, coincidentally this week Hubby and I sat near the Boleros Lounge on Liberty of the Seas and watched a fascinating parade of second seating passengers march past us after dinner. I looked at every woman's shoes because mine hurt me so much I wanted to see what other women chose for their formal attire.

Not one single woman had on wedgie shoes with their gowns and cocktail dresses. The look isn't right anymore than knee boots would be. Formal and cocktail attire call for delicate fabrics, delicate small handbags and delicate shoes.

I particularly looked at young women who tend to be more fashion forward, but none had wedgies that night. If you MUST wear a wedgie heel, wear the lowest, least massive one possible, preferably one that is not solid all the way to the ball of the foot.

Hmm, the black wedges I have are leather. I bought them several years ago for a college event and usually wear them when I need to dress up. I have, over the years, thought about buying a different pair of heels, but it's so rare that I ever really dress up. I really only dress up for weddings, funerals, and my birthday. And my birthday is in the winter, so I'm in black slacks and my high heeled boots.

So I think I'll do some looking when I'm out and about shopping for wedding party gifts and see if I can find some cute shoes to wear with the dresses. I'm pretty sure I can find something that will work and won't break the bank at the place where I bought my wedding shoes.

We've been back about six weeks from our Panama Canal Cruise aboard Infinity. Your clothes are more than acceptable for formal nights, and would be acceptable for informal nights as well. As far as your hair goes, don't worry about it. Have fun and enjoy yourself. If you're planning your wedding, you have more than enough to concern yourself with, so don't worry too much about your clothes and hair. By the way, are you one of those couples with a 07/07/07 wedding day? Good luck and best wishes for a wonderful wedding.

Bob

I would not consider this a formal dress, but it could be dressed up with accesories. The important thing is, do you like it? If so that sport it on formal night and look stunning. Many people do dress to the nines, but many also dress nice. Usually, the 2nd formal night is not as dressy as the first. It is a beautiful dress either way, wera it proudly any night! ;)

Archived