Priceline - Marriott Hotels Sydney

I tried uploading the pics I took from the hotel window, but they wouldn't upload, must be too large for this site.

We had 5 nights in the Opera House harbour view room, you can see down the harbour and the Opera House.

We returned to the Marriott after our Cairns trip and we got the Bridge View room, you can see all of the bridge, the Rocks area and the cruise terminal. The Sapphire Princess was docked at the terminal and you could see half of the ship.

I would really like to be able to see our ship coming in the day before we board (Mercury)..but I guess what we get we get...course I will ask about an upgrade--paid or free--either one.

Would like to ask a couple of questions of the cruisers that have used Priceline.

1. Has your experience been that the bidding price that is accepted farther from the date requested been any cheaper? IE: Bidding one year away and getting a price of $150.00 versus bidding two months from the date and having to bid $160.00 per night.?

2. Has anyone had to cancel this arrangement? Do you lose all of the amount?

Treading into the unknown and would like some encouragement.

Snowbird

Hi Snowbird,

I bid last week for our Australia trip next February. My first bid of $151 was accepted. Since I generally follow bidding history (on biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com), I knew that it would take between $135 (rare) and $150 to win. Since I wanted to lock it in, I decided to go with a pretty sure bet. I can't imagine that it would be possible to save much more than $15 per night, no matter when you bid. It could be, though, that you will have no success if you wait too long, because Dec-Jan-Feb seem to be the high season months in Australia (school holidays). BTW, you can place a bid up to 11 months in advance, and if your first bid doesn't win, you can repeat every 24 hours OR, change the parameters (number of nights, number of stars etc.) and rebid immediately.

2. If you decide not to use your "winning" hotel reservation, you lose your money. You can only bid by entering a valid credit card number, and once your bid is accepted, you have "bought" your nights. No exchanges, no refunds -- unless they have made a mistake and will admit to it;). If you have insurance for your entire trip, and need to cancel for medical or other reasons, if the insurance covers the trip, the hotel reservation would also be insured, I presume. For non-medical reasons, priceline's insurance is absolutely worthless.

hi sharon,

my husband had read somewhere that priceline usually uses the marriot sydney harbor hotel as their only 5 star hotel in sydney. this was the first time we had ever used priceline for a hotel.

he first bid $125 and was turned down by priceline....he then bid $130 per night and was again turned down..

his third bid of $135 was accepted......

when we checked in we asked about our room and were told that it a city view room on a low floor.we asked about operahouse or bridge views on upper floors

only the bridge view was available for $30 per night on the 27th floor.....which we took..

our cruise was 29 days fron sydney,auckland(5 stops in auckland), fiji, american samoa, the cook islands, bora bora, tahiti, honolulu, hilo, and ending in los angeles

with many sea days in-between the stops.

if you nedd any info on auckland stops let me know.

take care,

shelley

Shelley,

Thanks for the information. $135 was a super winning bid -- I haven't seen it listed at biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com for less than $137 (and I thought that was really a bargain). I entered $151 on my first bid, because I just wanted to get it locked it. Next time I won't be so impatient:rolleyes:.

How was your repo cruise? We are only doing the AKL-SYD cruise on Mercury in Feb., with about a week pre-cruise and the same post-cruise. We would have enjoyed the Princess repo for next April, but really wanted a balcony, and they were all gone. Because of arranging flights, hotels etc., didn't want to wait until cabins opened up after final payment date. Additionally, would have been happier with the smaller Pacific Princess that was used this year, rather than Sun or Sapphire for 2008.

Would love to hear about your trip. Thanks again.

The upgrade was $50 a night. Since we arrived at 06:30 AM and we were tired I was more than eager to pay the upgrade. Our regular room wouldn't have been ready until around 1PM, but they do have a hospitality suite for people arriving early.

Anyone know if you can simply pay extra for the first night and get your original room early. I know you can of course pay ahead for the previous night and have it ready when you arive in the morning, but I wasn't thinking of being that generous! Also, what do the hotel taxes and any other charges come to on these Priceline reservations - don't they add a lot to the price quoted for the room? Someone made the comment that they are surprised that Priceline has the Marriott - I'm surprised the Marriott has Priceline!

The person who stayed at the Copthorne Tara in London, did you really mean that your original room rate was $75 or was that 75 sterling? Even the latter wouldn't be bad - I have paid more for accommodation not nearly as nice in London.

Anyone know if you can simply pay extra for the first night and get your original room early. I know you can of course pay ahead for the previous night and have it ready when you arive in the morning, but I wasn't thinking of being that generous! Also, what do the hotel taxes and any other charges come to on these Priceline reservations - don't they add a lot to the price quoted for the room? Someone made the comment that they are surprised that Priceline has the Marriott - I'm surprised the Marriott has Priceline!

The person who stayed at the Copthorne Tara in London, did you really mean that your original room rate was $75 or was that 75 sterling? Even the latter wouldn't be bad - I have paid more for accommodation not nearly as nice in London.

Are you asking about early check-in at the Marriott Sydney Harbour? The poster above mentions that they do have an arrivals "lounge" on the 6th floor for you to rest, freshen up and have free beverages. Some people have been able to check in as early as 9 AM, but no guarantees. After February 17, I can tell you more!!

About the taxes and fees for Priceline bookings, there really are NO surprises. In the last step before you enter your credit card information, etc., the last screen you see is your total cost -- room price offer + taxes and fees. There is nothing else to pay unless you are choosing a city where you can bid for a resort. Then, sometimes, there can be a resort fee to pay upon arrival. (Some people have even managed to get out of paying that!). I have probably had 100 nights in priceline room "wins" and I really have never yet been disappointed. AGAIN, do your homework in advance and check out the boards at http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com

I was the poster who won the Copthorne Tara and, yes, it was $76, not pounds sterling! It was for this past April 2 - 5, and turned out to be a great stay after our transatlantic cruise.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask:D

Shelley:

Your cruise was just recent, I believe. When did your husband bid on priceline?

Snowbird

I also bid on Marriott Sydney Harbour for our precruise hotel for Jan 18-20 2008..with help from others on this forum & ALOT of hand holdiing from Sharon--I made my first bid of $135 (on 5/16) it was not accepted..but it asked if I wanted to rebid right then $22--so I did & it was accepted for $157 a night..as I knew someone had got it for $135--but most for $150..so even tho I proably could have got it for the $150 (course maybe not too) I am still happy & hope that I will be able to upgrade whether we have to pay or not.

Thanks for all the info. I was ready to bid on Priceline, but saw from another post that if you have Princess air and Princess hotel and cancel the hotel for a choice of your own, the Princess only air portion is subject to deviation fees (in this case; $150.00). Cancelling anything you could save. I know that we could arrange the air on our own, but this far out and flights subject to time changes, we will stick with Princess. They can have the headaches.

Snowbird

hi,

at check-in we asked about various views...the harbor bridge view was available and we took it.

sorry, but we don't know anyone who had a view of the opera house.

from our room we were able to see the entire bridge and the area called "the rocks".. our room number was 2717...

hope that's helpful.

shelley

I'd like to ask if your room with view of the bridge also showed where the OPTerminal is? down by the Rocks? As I have said before--really would like to see our ship when it arrives before we board (day before)

hi, i have tried bidding on priceline for Sydney Marriott 7 days april 2008, everything was going ok , but then it refused to recognise my UK address, postcode , telephone code, so can anyone tell me if the bidding is only allowed by USA or Canadian citizens? Is there any Brits out there who has succeded, and do they know any good sites for getting a deal on flights to Syd:) ney and returning from LA after my cruise, thanks ,audrey.

hi, i have tried bidding on priceline for Sydney Marriott 7 days april 2008, everything was going ok , but then it refused to recognise my UK address, postcode , telephone code, so can anyone tell me if the bidding is only allowed by USA or Canadian citizens? Is there any Brits out there who has succeded, and do they know any good sites for getting a deal on flights to Syd:) ney and returning from LA after my cruise, thanks ,audrey.

Hi Audrey,

It is possible to bid from outside the U.S. - I do it all the time with a german credit card. What is necessary, is that you "alter" your address information on Priceline's registration. You simply need to put in a 5 digit postal code from the U.S. (90212 or some such number) and put the State in as CA (for California). For more detailed information, there is a thread on http://www.betterbidding.com about foreign addresses for U.S. Priceline. Do a search there. Since no post is ever sent by Priceline - it is all done via internet - there has never been a problem, and we have had a lot of Priceline winning bids! All that is important is that the credit card information is correct! Happy bidding.

hi kehlx2,

you are going to experience a wonderful cruise. enjoy...

we upgraded to a bridge view and for $30AU per night more....our room was 2717 (on the 27th floor)

from our room we were able to see the bridge which at night with all the lights aglow was lovely...we saw the rocks...and yes we were able to see the ship and the terminal building...

our ship came in about 6ish a.m. so we saw it upon awakening...

we ate at a restaurant (doyle's) facing the dock, the bridge and the opera house....all lit up....

hope this helps......and of course, e-mail any other questions...

shelley

hi kehlx2,

you are going to experience a wonderful cruise. enjoy...

we upgraded to a bridge view and for $30AU per night more....our room was 2717 (on the 27th floor)

from our room we were able to see the bridge which at night with all the lights aglow was lovely...we saw the rocks...and yes we were able to see the ship and the terminal building...

our ship came in about 6ish a.m. so we saw it upon awakening...

we ate at a restaurant (doyle's) facing the dock, the bridge and the opera house....all lit up....

hope this helps......and of course, e-mail any other questions...

shelley

Thank you Shelley...yes that did help...we will ask if there are any rooms we can upgrade to with views of the bridge--I am sure they all don't show the whole area as the larger buildings--but one can only try--I will mention that I would love to be able to look out & see our ship. Also as we will have our binoculars with us this should help in the viewing also.:)

love the binocular idea!!!!!!! that should put you over the top visually........

take it out when you walk around near both the opera house and the bridge...should be wild!!!

shelley

hi Sharon, many thanks for tips about bidding, i got it for $145 per night- 7 days before my cruise on the Sapphire, its half the price i got for the same days on a british website, I am off to Spain in the morning - to visit family, its way past my bedtime - i have to be up at 5-30am, anyway thanks again, take care, audrey.:) :)

hi Sharon, many thanks for tips about bidding, i got it for $145 per night- 7 days before my cruise on the Sapphire, its half the price i got for the same days on a british website, I am off to Spain in the morning - to visit family, its way past my bedtime - i have to be up at 5-30am, anyway thanks again, take care, audrey.:) :)

Hi Audrey,

I'm really glad it worked for you:). Priceline is fantastic -- we've used it a lot and paid less for 4 and 5 star hotels than we used to pay at inexpensive motels!

Have a great time in Spain -- will you be on the mainland or one of the islands? We're on Tenerife at the moment, and going back to Germany end of the month until we leave for Alaska:D

I would really like to be able to see our ship coming in the day before we board (Mercury)..but I guess what we get we get...course I will ask about an upgrade--paid or free--either one.

From the bridge view room you won't be able to see your ship sail in.

From the Opera House view you will be able to see the ship sail in to the harbour. You can see quite a distance down the harbour but you won't be able to see it dock. We saw the Pacific Princess sail in at around 6AM. We didn't see our ship sail in because it came in around 5AM.

From the bridge view room you won't be able to see your ship sail in.

From the Opera House view you will be able to see the ship sail in to the harbour. You can see quite a distance down the harbour but you won't be able to see it dock. We saw the Pacific Princess sail in at around 6AM. We didn't see our ship sail in because it came in around 5AM.

OK thanks..guess we'll just hope for something that faces some part of the water--I live in the midwest..I NEED to see the water!!:D

OK thanks..guess we'll just hope for something that faces some part of the water--I live in the midwest..I NEED to see the water!!:D

:D Ditto :D

Bridge view = very little water view....mostly structures like bridge, terminal, ferry wharf.

Opera House view = Opera House, WATER, land on opposite side of harbour, more *distance* view down the harbour. (But no terminal view of docked ship.)

:D Ditto :D

Bridge view = very little water view....mostly structures like bridge, terminal, ferry wharf.

Opera House view = Opera House, WATER, land on opposite side of harbour, more *distance* view down the harbour. (But no terminal view of docked ship.)

Yes I would say you are even browner in your State than we are...now you guys have had some bad weather this spring? We have HEAVY winds right now--helps on the humidity--but later they are expecting tornados, my husband is out tempting the storms &mowiing & edgin the yard--we now have to mow twice a week...not WE--I don't do any of it..:eek:

Will just hope for a great view while in hotel. Just being there will be GREAT.

Yes I would say you are even browner in your State than we are...now you guys have had some bad weather this spring? We have HEAVY winds right now--helps on the humidity--but later they are expecting tornados, my husband is out tempting the storms &mowiing & edgin the yard--we now have to mow twice a week...not WE--I don't do any of it..:eek:

Will just hope for a great view while in hotel. Just being there will be GREAT.

It has rained here all spring, it seems. Actually, this area of OK is referred to as "Green Country"......surprising to people visiting for the first time.....dust bowl days are a thing of the past! After those terrible dusty times, many valleys were dammed and filled with water to create lakes. We have lots of lakes now.....more shoreline than the east and west coasts combined. Now we have HUMIDITY instead of dust....;)

I too tempted the weather.....I washed my car today....:p Now we have tornado watches in effect! :eek:

Sharon,

If you're still following this thread, I thought I'd tell you that we will be boarding Mercury just after you disembark. AND we'll be staying at the Marriott as well. Sorry that I'll just miss meeting you after the threads we've shared in the past. Wishes for a lovely cruise and pre and post cruise stay.

Sharon,

If you're still following this thread, I thought I'd tell you that we will be boarding Mercury just after you disembark. AND we'll be staying at the Marriott as well. Sorry that I'll just miss meeting you after the threads we've shared in the past. Wishes for a lovely cruise and pre and post cruise stay.

Hi Sheila,

I really am sorry that we keep passing each other "like ships in the night";). I so enjoy reading all your postings (and looking at your photos) and would so much like to meet you and DH sometime. Maybe we will get your room in the Marriott after you check out -- wouldn't that be funny?

We will be on a ship together at some point, sorry it didn't work out for Mercury's repo to Honolulu.

Wishing you wonderful cruises.

BTW - just remembered that we'll be in Sydney overnight from the 16th to the 17th of February on Mercury. Maybe we could meet at the Marriott and get together for coffee or something on the 16th. If you like, send me a mail at hugosharonataoldotcom.

Was wondering for the $50 dollar upgrade, besides view, does this provide acsess to the top floor lounge where continental breakfast and daily beverages are provided??? WAVTAM

No it doesn't, just the view.

hi Sharon, i am now back from Spain, my daughter and son in law live about 20 miles inland from Alicante, a countryside location of newly built houses mostly owned by Brits and the Dutch, lovely friendly local villages nearby, i found the weather too hot for myself ,I will go when the weather is cooler next time. I am very excited about my cruise on the Sapphire next april, it will be my first on Princess after 11 cruises with Hal - it will be strange , but the rollcall cruisers are so friendly, i was lucky to get a cabin of any grade [ inside] as i was booked on the cancelled Sun cruise. Well Sharon, many thanks once more for your help in showing me how to get such a good deal at the Marriott, Take care, audrey.:)

Archived