Family Suite vs 3 rooms

OK, here's the question. My wife and myself will be sailing with our 3 kids (15,13,9 years) and my parents on the Enchantment in Nov 2008. We've cruised before, but this will be a 1st for my folks and kids and we're looking for it to be a fun experience as good ole dad is hesitant. Has anyone cruised in the Family Suite and is it too crowded for 7 people? RCCL website doesn't list prices for the suite. Is it more cost effective to book this, or 3 seperate cabins (1 balcony and 2 ocean view)? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I read on another forum that the one big plus point when booking three separate cabins is that each has it's own bathroom, own fridge, own tv etc. etc.

Most people look at the extra luxury, or extra room available in a family suite.

It was suggested that these were small considerations compared with the practicalities required when travelling with a number of people, especially given the age spread.

OK, here's the question. My wife and myself will be sailing with our 3 kids (15,13,9 years) and my parents on the Enchantment in Nov 2008. We've cruised before, but this will be a 1st for my folks and kids and we're looking for it to be a fun experience as good ole dad is hesitant. Has anyone cruised in the Family Suite and is it too crowded for 7 people? RCCL website doesn't list prices for the suite. Is it more cost effective to book this, or 3 seperate cabins (1 balcony and 2 ocean view)? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi we had the RFS on the Radiance. There was 4 of us. All adults. We had 2 bedroom and 2 baths. Two of the adults was my daughter and her husband. In their room there was 2 bunk bed that floded down from the ceiling. The coach also made into a bed. I would NOT book this cabin I would go with 3 seperate cabins. The second bedroom is very small and with 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) it is just too crowded. I would say go for it if all were kids.

The cabin itself is very nice and a wonderful balcony but I would not put that many people in it. RMO.

Laura

I would say yes if you and your kids, but with grandparents, I'd go with separate rooms.

Not sure about the pricing but I'd rather the kids be across the hall (inside) then on another floor (ocean view) and put your parents in another balcony. If D1s are too expensive check the next balcony category.

We looked at this option too and the family suite was much more expensive - so we went ahead and booked seperate cabins - especially so we could have two bathrooms.

Do the 3 rooms--even tho it's "family time", everyone will need a break from each other occassionally!!!! It's natural and normal! By having 3 separate rooms, you and spouse will have some privacy, the kids can be messy,if they want, and grandparents will have some peace and quiet! It's a win-win situation!

Definately go with three rooms! You all have your own privacy, you have three bathrooms, 3 tv's more space with closets and drawers. Your not bumping on top of one another and the kids can go to bed in a quiet room and so do the grandparents.

One thing you have to remember about a family vacation is that it turns into a fiasco if there is too much "together" time. You need your own time, privacy and space. We love our children dearly (15 and 18) especially when they are next door or across the hall from us.

Even when we go to a hotel, we now book 2 rooms or a one bedroom suite.

I see it on every cruise, families bickering about what to do next and I always wonder why they must stay together all the time.

We've done RFS with 2 adults and 4 kids, grandma traveling solo was across the hall in an inside, and we also had an aft balcony for 2 more of us. (She has weird sleep hours, likes to get up early, etc.) In the morning she'd get up, walk around on deck for a while and then come and find who was up! Worked out pretty well.

RFS has two baths. Kids end up on 2 lower and 2 upper beds and both MBR and 2ndBR have no windows. Total darkness! If you wanted to put two more in there, they'd be on a pullout couch in the living area and sharing the bath with the kids (MBR bath is through the bedroom so not 'sharable'). PLENTY of room BUT still probably too much 'together time', IMO.

Pluses are that RFS is 2 cruise credits and has concierge service, minus is the cost... The only real answer to the right combination is to do the fare math for your particular cruise.

We were in the same exact situation. We currently have 3 superior insides. There are 6 of us (3 kids, 9,9,13) and grandma. I am now sold on the 3 cabins instead of the RFS. I think the privacy thing really plays a big role in the situation. Plus the $2200 it would cost to upgrade.:)

Enjoy your cruise and your privacy!

Archived