Bow On Noordam?

jaredp1990

Can passangers acess the bow on the Noordam and other Vista Class ships? I know that the bow was closed for most of our cruise on the Veendam last year and was wondering if this was now HAL Standard Operating Procedure now?

Thanks,

Jared

On Noordam, portside you must pass through a 'crew only' door to access the bow. I was told by someone on this board that is not the case Starboard side but that is not my memory.

We asked and were given permission to go to the bow but I don't think it is 'freely open' to go to whenever one wants.

Someone here said they went out starboard side and did not pass through the crew bar which is behind the crew only door. I don't remember that being the case.

But, as Lisa says.......for Panama Canal or for glacier viewing, I think they open it up for anyone to access.

We just got off the Noordam NYC to Vancouver trip via the Panama Canal. To the best of our knowledge, the only day it was accessible to passengers was the PC Transit day. We went another day, but the CREW ONLY door was once again in place.

Connie

This past January John & I wanted to see Noordam's bell, which is out on the bow. We asked permission & were told that when in the next port (San Juan) we could go thru the "crew only" door on the starboard side, which took us thru a short hallway, to another door. Once out on the bow we saw 1 or 2 others, close to the superstructure of the ship, so that the bridge crew wouldn't have been able to see them.

We spent about 10 minutes out there, took a few pix & came back inside. Don't remember seeing a crew bar in that short hallway.

Isn't the Bell beautiful, Susan!!! It had been newly polished just before our cruise.

When we were in Tortola, Zuiderdam and Noordam were docked side by side (an amazing sight) and DH and I saw Zuiderdam's Bell didn't sparkle in the sun like Noordam's did. :)

Thanks everyone...I know on our first cruise on the Veendam, the bow was open everyday and all night...some friends and I went out on the bow at night on our last sea night and it was just amazing. I was dissapointed when the bow on the Veendam was not open except for one or two times last year and was hoping it was not going to happen fleetwide because that is one of the things I love about HAL but I guess it is also going away.

Jared

Archived