What does GTY mean?

SweetpeaOne

GTY means "guarantee". It means that you do not book a specific stateroom, but they will guarantee that you'll be assigned a stateroom of either the category that you select, or a higher category. I personally never book guarantees since I like to be able to choose my own stateroom, to ensure that I'm in a quiet location, but others like booking guarantees since they think it makes you more likely to get an upgrade. But not that an upgrade is sometimes more of a downgrade, since it can move you to a smaller room in what you might consider a worse location, but is in a "higher" category.

GTY means "guarantee". It means that you do not book a specific stateroom, but they will guarantee that you'll be assigned a stateroom of either the category that you select, or a higher category. I personally never book guarantees since I like to be able to choose my own stateroom, to ensure that I'm in a quiet location, but others like booking guarantees since they think it makes you more likely to get an upgrade. But not that an upgrade is sometimes more of a downgrade, since it can move you to a smaller room in what you might consider a worse location, but is in a "higher" category.

My wife and I booked an inside guarantee once and ended up in a huge handicap oceanview room on the Dawn. I mean the room was LARGE. We got lucky.

That was a typo. I meant to type: Note that an upgrade is sometimes more of a downgrade, since it can move you to a smaller room in what you might consider a worse location, but is in a "higher" category.

You do have to be careful of a guarantee cabin. The Majesty, an older ship, has some cabins that have bunks that cannot be pushed together into one bed. So if you book an inside guarantee on that ship, you might end up with one of those.

Also, you could get a cabin just underneath a busy nighttime lounge or the pool deck and those places can be noisy at night or early morning. The pool deck is noisy early morning because the crew is cleaning and moving things around.

Trust me, you can complain till the cows come home but they won't close the lounge or stop the cleaning. My husband is a light sleeper so we choose our cabin carefully. No GTY cabins for us.

Hello, I am a newbie going on my first cruise. I have been wondering what the GTY meant:Stateroom: BE - Balcony Stateroom - GTY Thanks for the reply....

I suppose what they say it true, if your booking a low cat to begin with, but otherwise, like with your BE, I think it is the way to go. One suggestion, though, sometimes, for a few more $, they offer a BA gty and you would probably have even a better chance at a suite upgrade.

Guarantee bookings are for the lowest cabin classification with the cheapest fares within a category (Suite, Balcony, Oceanview, Inside). There's usually not many cabins of that classification on a cruise ship. Therefore, most who book using a guarantee usually get a free upgrade to a higher classification cabin.

The reason why cruise lines have guarantee bookings is to keep advertising their cheapest fares so you will book a cruise on that ship. If you were price shopping, and NCL's ship bottom three classificiations are booked solid, they would quote you the fare for the fourth lowest classification cabin. If another cruise line's ship had a cabin available at the second lowest classification, they could quote you a much cheaper fare. That's why all cruise lines will quote you a gurantee fare, so the can continue to quote you their cheapest fares long after the cheapest classification cabin has sold out.

With a guarantee booking, you're at the mercy of the cruise line, as they will tend to place guarantee bookings into cabins that other passengers booking specfic cabins avoid, aka, cabins nearer the bow of the ship, or cabins with partially blocked views.

Thanks everyone for your help. We booked our cruise thru Travelocity and did not know it was a guarantee cabin. When we booked the cruise we choose a cabin on the 8th floor. But got put on the 10th floor. We are on the Star cabin 10100. Is that a good choice?

Archived