Alaska Weather From Recent Cruisers

cruzingduo

Anyone back from 2007 cruises to Alaska that can share the recent weather conditions with us. We're going June 3rd and are beginning to pack. We're planning on layers but would appreciate any advice.

Did anyone do a flightseeing trip with a glacier landing that can tell us what they wore and were they warm enough. This is the hardest to decide on.

Thanks much!

We cruised the inside passage last week. We had excellent weather with only a few sprinkles one day. We dressed in layers and took away or added layers as needed. Also always had a poncho in the backpack if needed. We are from FL and we don't like the cold but we were very comfortable at all times...

Anyone back from 2007 cruises to Alaska that can share the recent weather conditions with us. We're going June 3rd and are beginning to pack. We're planning on layers but would appreciate any advice.

Did anyone do a flightseeing trip with a glacier landing that can tell us what they wore and were they warm enough. This is the hardest to decide on.

Thanks much!

Not taken a cruise,but here in Hoonah/ISP we are enjoying our 5th day of *Sunshine* !! :D

happy to hear your weather was good. What are/were the temps?

What about a coat for a flightseeing on a glacier?

Hi, when I booked with Temsco, the guy that I spoke with told me he have been in Puerto Rico so he knew the diference in temperatures. He told me the temperature on the glacier could drop around 20 degrees from the one on the port/city, so I'm guessing it should be on the higher 20's or 30's when I go. We're going the same week.

He recommended layers (dahhhh, everybody says that!!), jeans, snickers, gloves, a light jacket and the cute hats they use for skying (I don't know how you call them!). We don't have cold winters here and 50's is almost freezing :eek: for us, so I'm taking a coat ;)

Hi, when I booked with Temsco, the guy that I spoke with told me he have been in Puerto Rico so he knew the diference in temperatures. He told me the temperature on the glacier could drop around 20 degrees from the one on the port/city, so I'm guessing it should be on the higher 20's or 30's when I go. We're going the same week.

He recommended layers (dahhhh, everybody says that!!), jeans, snickers, gloves, a light jacket and the cute hats they use for skying (I don't know how you call them!). We don't have cold winters here and 50's is almost freezing :eek: for us, so I'm taking a coat ;)

Just curious...what are "snickers?"

Just got back from Alaska this past Sunday and the weather was in the 40-50's. As everyone says just layer. Now if you are going walking on a glacier, absolutely you must wear good walking shoes, have an extra pair of socks and a good weather coat and gloves. We did an excursion on a Jet boat in Juneau and I layered with a turtleneck, fleece overblouse and then an medium weight jacket. We were very comfortable. Most of the days we were there was cloudy and overcast. Frankly it weather was quite wonderful.

Marilyn

Help! We're sailing 6/2 to Alaska and we're starting to plan clothes. Everyone says layer,layer,layer. I know that but layer what?

Should I be taking corduroy pants or regular twills and jeans? Do I need sweats and turtle necks or just a tee and cotton shirt? Besides the formal nights, what do you wear in the dining room at night?

We're not taking a lot of excursions and plan to spend a lot of time on the ship or just walking around the towns. What do you wear on the ship when just hanging out there and exploring? I know layers. I'm asking about thicknesses.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm a first time cruiser!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Just got back May 13th, inside on the ship I just needed a t/shirt or blouse with jeans with either a sweater or vest available in case I needed it. Out on deck you a jacket or warm sweater will probably do. If you are going to Glacier Bay you will also want gloves, and a hat. Wandering around town layers is best, with something rain proof. We lucked out no rain showers, just cloudy weather. I had brought too many sweaters, vests, turtlenecks that were not needed.

For formal nights, anything dressy / semi-formal works unless you want to go formal.

We did a glacier landing at Juneau May 11. Weather was overcast and light rain. I wore a fleece and warm track pants with my rainproof coat and was plenty warm enough. My husband had jeans, skivvy and gfleece with rainproof coat and my son, who feels the cold, had the same but with thermal underwear as well. Suffice to say we were all comfortable in what we had on.

The day we were in Glacier Bay we spent about 6 hours on the bow of the ship and that would have to have been the coldest we were for the whole trip. Early in the morning it was cold but with coat, gloves and scarf on top we were fine. After the breeze dropped it was more pleasant but still the best place to be to view.

No matter, when you are in Inside Passage Alaska, you need a jacket. Best is a lightweight lined jacket, a sweatshirt, turtle neck, and some t shirts. Then just layer them up as needed. It is most always cold at the glaciers, so you need extra. Be sure to bring a knit hat and gloves too, again needed all season.

I had brought too many sweaters, vests, turtlenecks that were not needed.

Need to be sure my DH does not see this post! I keep trying to whittle down my cold weather stuff, but I have a feeling that I will still be bringing more than I will need or wear. We leave in a month, and I have some long sleeve stuff in the closet....each week I look them over and try to eliminate one or two. Maybe this way, by the time I am ready to pack, I will have just the right amount! :p

I keep reading about people taking coats, but are they really necessary in late June/July? I live in Wisconsin, and consider anything over mid-70's to be getting uncomfortably warm (we're in the upper 70's and low 80's lately:eek: ) So... the question is should we really pack our winter coats to sit on the balcony/deck, or are we ok with layering long sleeve T-shirts, polar fleece vests, and windbreakers, +/- rain suits?

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

I keep reading about people taking coats, but are they really necessary in late June/July? I live in Wisconsin, and consider anything over mid-70's to be getting uncomfortably warm (we're in the upper 70's and low 80's lately:eek: ) So... the question is should we really pack our winter coats to sit on the balcony/deck, or are we ok with layering long sleeve T-shirts, polar fleece vests, and windbreakers, +/- rain suits?

Thanks,

dogdoc2002

Late June/July, dress in layers, we cruised last year on June 26th, light rain jacket with layers worked great at the glaciers. We also cruised in May several years ago and jackets were very necessary.

Southern Wisconsin, I was raised in Racine, also lived in Kenosha for a period, now in AZ.

Late June/July, dress in layers, we cruised last year on June 26th, light rain jacket with layers worked great at the glaciers. We also cruised in May several years ago and jackets were very necessary.

Southern Wisconsin, I was raised in Racine, also lived in Kenosha for a period, now in AZ.

RSWBADGER- Was wondering about your screen name. Glad to know we'll be ok leaving the heavy coats behind. We live about 20 miles outside of Kenosha (Salem); I spent most of the winter wishing it would finally warm up, and now that it has, I'm too warm!

dogdoc2002

Go Badgers!

We just got back from the Celebrity Infinity 5/7 cruise and had the best weather. Most days were sunny and mid 40's to mid 50's. Sitka was overcast and raw and was probably the coldest day of all 13 including the glacier.

Everyone told us to layer and glad we did but I think I had too many layers on. In Nanaimo we did the Zodiac tour for whale watching and glad I had the layers on once we took off. They also put us in their one piece pant and jacket suit over our clothes. Initially I was sweating but once we got going it was cold and was glad I had all the extra clothes on.

As for the glacier I had cuddl duds on (sort of light thermal wear), tee shirt, sweat shirt & zippered sweat shirt, too much clothes I was sweating. Couldn't wait to get back to the room to take off some of the clothes.

We did the helicopter & glacier walk with NorthStarTrekking. Again I had too much clothes on and was quite warm (same layering as the glacier), actually sweating again. NorthStar also gave us rain gear type of pants & jackets, gloves if you forgot them and shoes with cramp ons for the glacier walk.

I think a lot had to do with our weather being so great so I would pack the extra and take it from there. Probably being from the Northeast and our weather being so cold helped too, if your from warmer climates you might need the warmer clothes.

Have a great time we did.

One thing to mention about the helicopter/glacier trip. Coastal gave us boots with crampons to go over our shoes which gave another nice toasty layer. I wore a three in one jacket (light coat with fleece that could be zipped out and worn alone) on most days and as it warmed up put one of the layers into my backpack. Do take a warm hat, scarf and gloves for the glacier tour and for viewing out on deck during glacier viewings. If my ears were warm, I was warm...

We just got back tonight from a Vancouver round trip on the inside passage. We left Vancouver in cold and rainy 50 degrees. Monday was a sea day with the same weather. In Ketchican, the sun came out and the temps stayed in the mid 50's. In Juneau, same thing, sun and mid 50's. In Skagway on Thursday, we had the same weather. Very nice for Alaska. The rest of the cruise, it rained and was very windy. Just follow the advice of the other posters and layer with whatever you need. Be sure to bring waterproof as your outer layer in case it rains. Happy Sailing.

We also just got back, after sailing the Pearl from Seattle. Cloudy and rainy in Seattle, windy that night sailing north. Nice day Monday -- cool but beautiful. In Juneau on Tuesday it was gorgeous! Bright blue skies and no need for anything except a sweatshirt. We couldn't have asked for better whale watching weather. Skagway was on Wednesday. Again, beautiful blue skies with a few clouds and very little wind on our way via bus to Carcross. The bus driver couldn't believe how little wind there was. Lake Tutshi and Tagish (sp??) were both crystal clear where they weren't iced over, with beautiful reflections of the mountains.

In Glacier Bay on Thursday is was colder -- between 45 and 50, with overcast skies and the clouds hanging right down over the mountains. We went to Ketchikan on Friday. It was drizzling a little when we got off, dried up as we went to Misty Fjords, and started raining again when we got back into Ketchikan. Victoria on Saturday night was clear and fairly warm, except there was a stiff breeze blowing. Very strong winds headed back to Seattle on Saturday night, and raining again this morning in Seattle.

Thanks much!

We're back for the Norwegian Sun 5/20 - 5/27. Vancouver weather was very ugly, cold, and windy. We were worried about the rest of the trip. To our surprise all our ports were more than we expected; no rain. Our whale watching excursion Wednesday was the best; blue sky, calm water, and tee-shirt weather. We actually got a tan on this trip. When we stopped at the glacier the weather provided the most amazing photographic and visual stimulation that words can not explain. Still, one can't predict the weather since prior to our arrival the weather was not what we experienced. Our prayers were answered and we are grateful. :D

Thanks much!

We were in alaska from 5/12 til 5/19...we had sun and warm temperatures (55-60f) every day (well, it drizzled in the morning in Juneau and at Hubbard Glacier, but it was minimal. No rain pants needed. We were up on a glacier in Skagway, and it was actually 10 degress warmer on the glacier than in Skagway...I almost killed the musher that made me put a wool hat on!! Too HOT!! :D But remember, it's still alaska, so be prepared for anything. We thought the weather disappointing, as we're from the san diego area and wanted cooler temperatures...the folks in the towns were thrilled we brought sun with us after the winter they've had.

Archived