Have you ever slept out on your balcony?

DizziDezi2

Ok, our first balcony cabin cruise is coming next month and I really would like to have a pool lounger on our balcony......how did you get it from the pool to the balcony? You just carried it up yourself? No one stopped you or said anything?

We had one of the handicapped rooms last cruise. Size of 3 balconies. Had 4 loungers out there plus table & chairs.

I tipped steward when I asked for them on first day (since this was obviously above the normal call of duty). That evening they were there.

We had tablemates who had the you know what scared out of them in the middle of the night while sleeping with their door open. They too loved the fresh air and sounds until a coast guard helicopter came to medically evacuate someone and it was so close to their cabin they thought it was landing on their balcony. Much louder than it would have been with the door shut.

on our honeymoon cruise, we had a rainy day so DH took the comforter and doubled it and laid it down on the balcony floor abd I napped out there for about an hour...nothing like it!

we also sleep with the door open at night and the AC blowing full blast!

I just got off the Glory (newbie) and fell asleep quite often on my balcony. I was a solo traveler and spent time out there at the end of my day and would sleep to the soothing sounds of the ocean and wind for atleast a few hours.

Hmmmmm....now I have an option when DH starts snoring!!!!:eek:

Note to self: ask cabin steward for a lounger...

Was thinking the same thing. He may not want to sleep out there but he may end up out there if he is snoring!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I just got off the Glory (newbie) and fell asleep quite often on my balcony. I was a solo traveler and spent time out there at the end of my day and would sleep to the soothing sounds of the ocean and wind for atleast a few hours.

good for you!

can't wait to repeat your experience in 14 days!

cruise fever has descended..lol

My 30 year old nephew did a couple of years ago for every night (except the last) of a seven night cruise. He was sharing a cabin with his sister, BIL and niece, a little too crowed for him so he took his mattress off the top bunk and put it out on the balcony and slept on it(until the room steward came in on the last day of the cruise and realized what he was doing and told him he couldn't do that any more!) He loved sleeping out there and we had the extended balconies on the Pride so there was enough room to do it!

Gosh, that must have been awesome! I would love to try that, some day!!!:o

Gosh, that must have been awesome! I would love to try that, some day!!!:o

hint: the room steward knew what he was doing the entire time!

he/she only mentioned it on the last day cause it was the last day and the room had to be put back in order.

room stewards are cool..tip them well.

I sailed my first cruise on the Pride in June 2005, and I slept every night on the balcony! I took the mattress from the couch out there with the pillows and blankets, and it was wonderful. That was definitely my favorite part of the cruise- going to sleep each night with the sound and smell of the ocean, an absolutely amazing experience. Sleeping with the door open wouldn't be the same, for me. When you're laying there with just that glass seperating you, it feels like you're right on the water.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1379958923047754270GzDZwK (Picture of my "bed setup" on the balcony).

I'm an early riser, so I tended to wake up shortly after sunrise. So, I didn't have problems with the balcony being sprayed down. If they did that, it was after I already was up for the morning. The only time I felt uncomfortable was the last morning of the cruise, when I woke up to find we were anchored just outside Long Beach, and instead of seeing the open waters I was looking at a bunch of boats. :eek:

However, the view was SO gorgeous, I ran inside to get my camera and snap a picture.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1380016376047754270gNBvLE (This was the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes, that morning.)

We're doing the same cruise next month (June 17th) and I plan to sleep each night out there again. :) I can't wait!

My "nightmare" about the balcony is falling asleep at night or even during the day and finding the door has locked behind me and I can't get back in my cabin.

Sometimes my cabin has been so cold I've had to open the door to the balcony to regulate the temperature. I can't leave it open too long otherwise it's like a sauna. I can't imagine sleeping on the balcony all night, though I do love the sound of the water.

We had an aft cabin on Celebrity and the balcony was very deep. I slept out on the balcony, on one of the loungers several nights. Was rooming with two gals...who snored.....and they got mad at me for sleeping out there...guess they figured I should have to listen to them all night.....well, that wasn't my idea of a good night's sleep.

To heck with them......I loved listening to the ocean all night and feeling the breeze.....has to be more healthful than the artificial A/C air.

It was an adventure and I'd do it again!

Regarding being afraid of getting 'locked out'. I would have been worried about that also if I was cruising alone. As it turns out, I was sharing a balcony suite with my parents (all the more reason to sleep on the balcony at night!). So, even if I got locked out they'd be there to open the door.

As for heat/weather/humidity. I noticed the days at sea were very comfortable, temperature wise. The nights when we were by the ports (Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta) it was very very hot and muggy. It was pretty uncomfortable because of the heat and humidity, but it was still worth it, and I'd rather sleep outside on the balcony where its hot but I still have the ocean.. than inside the cabin on the couch, with my parents snoring. :D It rained for two of the nights I was out there.. but as it turned out, absolutely none of the water made it onto the balcony with me. The sound of rain combined with the sound of the ocean just made it all the more soothing. The very last night I was out there, it was EXTREMELY windy. So windy, that I had to wrap the blankets around myself like a cocoon just to keep them anchored so they wouldn't blow away. That was a bit unpleasant, but again it was still worth it.

But then again, I used to go camping alot as a kid.. sleeping on a comfy mattress overlooking the ocean on a hot and muggy night sure beats sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, in a hot and muggy tent. :D

Archived