Best Place to Change Us Dollars to Canadian Dollars

Any Canadian Chartered Bank (and yes, they should be open on Saturdays, at least in the morning). Some of the bigger ones are CIBC, Royal, TD, Bank of Nova Scotia. Another thing to consider is simply taking money out of one of these banks ATM. I often do this when traveling in the United States and find that the exchange rate is identical to what it would be if I went to a bank.

Do NOT try to exchange your money at one of the currency outlets (you'll find them at the airport and often in the tourist areas). You'll lose about 5-10% by using them. Also, if you have to buy anything prior to getting your money exchanged, simply use your credit card. It will provide a much better exchange rate than a store will.

Cruise Junky, do you know if there is a Bank of America in Vancouver?

Thanks for the tips.

There is no Bank of America, but on the corner of Burrard & Pender there is a Bank of Nova Scotia, they are partners with BOA and I believe they charge no fees for using your ATM Card. (we're Scotia clients and always look for BOA machines, so I assume it goes both ways).

Trying to find an open Bank downtown on a Saturday will take some walking. The downtown core pretty much closes on a Saturday other than the mall.

Cruise Junky, do you know if there is a Bank of America in Vancouver?

Thanks for the tips.

By Canadian law, all Chartered Banks (class A banks) must be Canadian owned and no one person or company can own more than 10% of the company.

Class B banks (foreign banks) are required to actually deposit into a Class A bank at the end of the day. Bank of America (Canada) is a class B bank. They do have a branch in Vancouver at 1055 Dunsmuir St, Vancouver, BC V7X 1L3 (unverified) but it is likely only for commercial banking with extremely limited service hours and likely no ATM.

BofA does have a deal with ScotiaBank in Canada. You can use the ScotiaBank ATMs in Canada.

By Canadian law, all Chartered Banks (class A banks) must be Canadian owned and no one person or company can own more than 10% of the company.

Class B banks (foreign banks) are required to actually deposit into a Class A bank at the end of the day. Bank of America (Canada) is a class B bank. They do have a branch in Vancouver at 1055 Dunsmuir St, Vancouver, BC V7X 1L3 (unverified) but it is likely only for commercial banking with extremely limited service hours and likely no ATM.

BofA does have a deal with ScotiaBank in Canada. You can use the ScotiaBank ATMs in Canada.

I'm pretty sure they're not a branch and PS...I worked for Scotia for 10 years so know all about the Bank A & B :) and definitely the foreign ownership rules.

closes on a Saturday? When was the last time you were downtown?

I work downtown. I'm talking about the Financial area where the banks are. All the biggies are closed on Saturday. That's why if they want to go to a bank, they'd have a bit of a walk. You'd probably get a branch open on Robson. In the immediate cruise ship area, Vancity is closed, Scotia is closed, CIBC is closed, BMO is closed and Royal is closed. Even the currency exchange place on Pender which has by far the best rates is closed on Saturdays.

Wow. I hadn't looked at the exchange rate since we came back from Europe...

When we left in mid April it was 1 USD = 1.18 CAD and now it's 1.09 CAD

Par is looking so much closer.

Archived