Cruises out of NYC

Hi everyone! I'm new to the boards and figure most of my questions have been answered on previous posts, but before I start reading these pages, I'd see if anyone has any advice on where to start! I never realized how many options there are for cruise weddings. All I know for sure is that we have to leave from New York and are planning the wedding for June/July 2008, to the Carribean. I'm torn on cruise lines....I've read a few posts already and think that just confused me more. I know I want to get married on the ship (too many horror stories of people missing their port of call on their wedding day) but am still undecided on the Princess wedding at sea or Carnival at a Port.....Any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

MaryFrancis

I think the first place you need to start is to figure out what cruise you want. It is my understanding that most (if not all) cruise lines do weddings in port before the cruise leaves.

Personally, we chose getting married on Princess simply because we could get married at sea and not have to worry about missing a port or anything. Also, we figured most of our guests would have to travel to the dock to see us get married at embarkation, so why not just invite them for the cruise.

We were married on the first full day at sea. I had no problems with TheWeddingExperience (the coordinators for all the cruise lines). Everything turned out perfect for me.

One small thing that makes me smile, when comparing my pictures to other brides on this board who did get married on embarkation........ some of their pictures on deck have the pier and stuff in them....my pictures on deck have nothing but crystal clear water.....I love it.

Good luck and I'm sure once you search the board better you'll find a lot of other opinions.

:)

I'm doing embarkation wedding in July in Vancouver on Celebrity. TWE said so far I'm the only one who's doing wedding that day, which is good.

I considered embarkation wedding out of Bayonne, NJ because my fiance's family are from that area and by doing embarkation wedding, his relatives who can't go on cruise with us could attend our wedding. It didn't happen because our family and we want to go to Alaska, also Alaska cruise has less ports/more sea days, which I wouldn't like it for my own vacation, but this works for spending more time with my family on the ship and not having to worry about where to go on land.

I also considered Princess because they do wedding on sea. In my previous 3 cruises to Caribbean, every time the port chaged because of hurricane, so port wedding was out of question. At the end I chose embarkation wedding because more family who aren't crusing with us can come to the wedding and decided to take vacation in the west coast.

If you ask your family and friends about their preferances, you could narrow down your options.

If you want to leave out of NY in the June/July plan now. Out of midtown Manhatten you will have your choice of NCL and Carnival. Out of Brooklyn--check and see if Princess is sailing out of there in the summer. Out of Bayonne NJ--you have RCCL.

If you what to do an embarktion day wedding, so you can have non-sailing guest and you want it on Saturday or Sunday--you choices will be limited.

I had to make those decisions two years ago and it came down to NCL who at time had sailings out of NYC every Sunday and Carnival's 8 day cruise that between April and September only had 6 sailings that went out on a Saturday or Sunday. Carnival has a sensational well priced wedding package that books up fast. I ended up with a Sunday wedding out of NYC, it was terrific.

Well if you want a Princess at-sea wedding in the summer of 2008, you only have one choice...the Caribbean Princess, 9 day out of NYC. I'm getting married on this cruise in May. It's the only Princess summer Caribbean sailing, and it is out of NYC. Happy planning!

Thanks so much for your tips! I think i'm going to go the Princess route - I really love the idea of being married out at sea by the captain. Since everyone will be sailing with us, it's not necessary to do it in port in NYC, but I'm not agains a port on one of the islands.....we'll see.....such a big decision! :) I think Princess it will be.........

Archived