South America on Infinity

captbrad

We are planning on a 11/25/07 cruise from Valpariso to B.A. on Infinity.We have salied her before Vancouver r/t Alaska and really enjoyed her. The following year 6/05 we were booked on Summit for the one way trip and at the last minute we were told of her cancellation. ( the dreaded POD problem). Unlike most pax we only recieved a refund and not any other future credits.( we purchased at travel industry rates and so they wouldnt give us any credits:( ). My obvious problem is after reading all the excellant threads on the M class pod problems I am now a little afraid to try such a complicated vacation not having full confidence in X to deliver. Has any one thought this same issue out? The varied pro/con opinions on the other threads about the pods leave me more confused then ever!!:confused: . If anyone has sailed this cruise around S.A. I would love thier opinions also. We are Diamond withRCCL and wonder what X has to offer to us for this( we heard they dont offer a concierage room like RCCL). I am a newbe to this forum and have to say how impressed I am with everyones helpfull threads. thanks

We sailed on the Zenith the same time of year exactly in 2002. We had wonderful weather,

Buenos Aires was hot and very easy to get around by taxi.

It was warm until Ushuaia and there we wore heavy jackets.

Going to the horn was very calm and then it started getting warm again in Puero Montt.

It was one of the best cruises we have ever done. Just remember to bring jackets hats and even mittens. One of our passengers only had summer clothes and was very cold.

If you have any questions just ask.

Book it you won't be sorry.

Sherrill:)

PS We are on the Summit Nov 9th to Hawaii

CaptBrad,

We were on the Mercury from Rio to Valparaiso about 5 years ago. It was the BEST cruise we have ever taken. We appreciate the Celebrity experience and you can read numerous accounts of what it's like to sail with Celebrity on other boards and posts. South America is a jewel. You do need to be prepared for all types of weather. It can be rough and cold around Cape Horn, and quite warm in Buenos Aires but there is no other experience like it. Our advice to you is GO! GO! GO!

We will be on the Infinity this year Nov. 11, from Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso, so we will be disembarking the day you will be embarking.

We really enjoyed our BA to Valpo cruise on Infinity this past January. Minor decor issues, worn bedspread, typical X coffee (it's better in the dinning room), great waffles, nice staff. The weather could have been more cooperative since we missed the Falklands due to high seas and gale force winds. But stuff happens. I would suggest planning for higher fees in that direction...$100 a person to land in Sanitago and $17 each to depart BA. You pay neither the other way....hopefully X prices the cruise a little less for your direction. If I had no limits on expenses, I'd go on a smaller ship and one that went to Anarctica as well. But I'd do the same cruise again...loved Buenos Aires...spent three hot days there pre cruise. Have a great cruise

We did this cruise on the Infinity in january 2005 and so far it is our favorite itinerary. We actually did the B2B leaving out of Fort Lauderdale and sailing south via the Panama Canal to Valparaiso and then continuing on to Buenos Aries. Absolutely loved it. The ports are so diverse and so is the climate. We were very lucky and had 28 days of calm seas!

By the way by doing the B2B cruise we did not have to pay the $100. in Chile as we were considered "in transit" all we had to do was carry around a little peice of paper that the ship provided to us.

We definitely plan to do this itinerary again.

Also planning to sail on the Infinity in Sept again of this year. (Alaska)

Thanks for all the info, we are going to try this out I believe. I would love to do the Fla, transit the canel to val then b2b the horn like you guys did, but I only have vacation for the one! How do you find out about all those fees? Does X tell you or the airlines? I fly for a major airline so I ll fly down to Panama on my company then down to Santiago on Copa, then out of BA on my company again.The only problem is when you fly for free you fly standby.I might go down a day or two early to be safe.Any suggestions on where to stay in Santaigo or Val? Thanks for all the info. By the way how does everyone put thier past crusies on their replies? Brad

Thanks for all the info, we are going to try this out I believe. I would love to do the Fla, transit the canel to val then b2b the horn like you guys did, but I only have vacation for the one! How do you find out about all those fees? Does X tell you or the airlines? I fly for a major airline so I ll fly down to Panama on my company then down to Santiago on Copa, then out of BA on my company again.The only problem is when you fly for free you fly standby.I might go down a day or two early to be safe.Any suggestions on where to stay in Santaigo or Val? Thanks for all the info. By the way how does everyone put thier past crusies on their replies? Brad

Go all the way to the top of this page and click on UserCP then click on Edit Signature. Have fun with that. Also, if you again go to the top of this page and click on Boards, you can scroll down to the Ports of Call and South America. That's where we found really good information about hotels in Santiago and BA. There are some very good reviews there, too, about shore excursions -- some bad and some good. I'm still reading all of this to get ideas about our Round the Horn in December. Enjoy!:D

Archived