Is There a Way To Determine If a Group Is Booked On Your Cruise

Host Walt

Rich,

An Elderhostel group is listed on the Statendam for 3/22/08. The Auckland-Osaka cruise is 3/1-3/25. Looking forward to watch the embarkation process. ;)

Carole

You might be very surprised. I have a good friend who is in her 70's who has gone on some Elderhostel trips, and she can run circles around this Baby Boomer. She's extremely fit.

From what I gather, the Elderhostel groups are not the same sort of groups that would concern most of us, since they won't be taking over large public rooms. I think they are mostly individuals or couples who are interested in a particular journey and are, in that sense, more like a group of folks booked into a AAA group for lower rates, but who never meet onboard as a group except for perhaps one cocktail party if the group is hosted.

As one who has researched Elderhostel tours with great interest and certainly qualify but might not be able to keep up, I didn't mean to target the group as such but the idea of embarking any group at sea brought me a giggle. Please, no offense intended!!!!

As one who has researched Elderhostel tours with great interest and certainly qualify but might not be able to keep up, I didn't mean to target the group as such but the idea of embarking any group at sea brought me a giggle. Please, no offense intended!!!!

I wasn't in the least offended. I just wanted to post more information about that group in this thread.

Rich,

Just wanted to let you and everyone else concerned about large groups on board know, I was on the Noordam 7/1 voyage. There were two groups that I knew about ahead of time and was a little concerned about what impact they would have. The Insight for Life group seemed to be the largest, one number I heard while on board was 800. It did seem like half the passengers were wearing nametags from that group. Other than that, you didn't even know they were there. They only seemed to take over the Vista Lounge once on the first evening, and the Culinary Center a few times during the week. But only when it wasn't being used for other things.

My fears were unfounded. Maybe the many emails and calls to Holland America by everyone had an effect.

I have a quick question. I know most people are venting their fears of large groups monoplolozing the ship. Here is a different thought. If the group brings its own entertainment, etc, can we attend? Or are we banned from all areas and show?

Aquafest Gay Group Cruises on HAL ships (Groups, not charters)

This company puts together sizeable groups on many ships, but I have listed only three that I found for HAL:

July 23, 2007 Volendam

*****cruises/alaskatour/

I have a quick question. I know most people are venting their fears of large groups monoplolozing the ship. Here is a different thought. If the group brings its own entertainment, etc, can we attend? Or are we banned from all areas and show? ...

I think the answer is that it depends on the group organizers. Somewhere in one of the threads on this topic - maybe this one - was a post from a person who organizes jazz cruises who said that their entertainment events are always open to all passengers. But I believe there have also been posts about cruises where a group sponsored musical entertainment in one of the lounges and it was closed to all but the group members. So I think it depends. But I'm just going on what I've read, and common sense. Others who have actually experienced this issue may have more to add.

I enter the ship name, month and year, and just the word groups.

It usually comes up with the agencies and organizations that have blocked cabins or are planning to put something together. You will be surprised at the number of organizations that try to put 16+ together. That way the organizer will usually get a free cabin.

There is a Christian singles cruise listed for Dec 16, 2007 on the Zuiderdam but we are booked on that cruise and it is Dec 15 - 22, 2007. I did a google search and there was a Christian singles cruise last year Dec 16, 2006. Not sure if the one on your list is in error or not. Thanks for all your work on the list richwmn!

They only seemed to take over the Vista Lounge once on the first evening, and the Culinary Center a few times during the week. But only when it wasn't being used for other things..

The REASON a particular room is not scheduled for other actitivities for ALL PASSENGERS is precisely BECAUSE the group wants the room for a PRIVATE event.

Do you know how many or what activities the Cruise Director might have planned for those rooms if the group(s) had not "required" those spaces? No, you don't.

There is a DIRECT cause and effect between GROUP NEEDS/WANTS with regards to their taking over PUBLIC ROOMS (as opposed to rooms which were designed exclusively as meeting rooms) and your ability to enjoy what you paid for: numerous and enjoyable actitivities scheduled for ALL PASSENGERS throughout the day and evening.

Here is another one. Anyone into harps ?

Oosterdam Feb 16 2008 - MALAG AUTOHARP CRUISE

http://cruisewomen.com/id50.html

Enjoy the renowned service of Holland America Line onboard M.S. Oosterdam. Join autoharp friends and family and other traditional acoustic musicians for an itinerary of exotic ports and a participatory program of exciting music!

All-instrument jams every night!

2/24/2008 Maasdam

Coronado Yacht Club

http://www.coronadoyc.org/documents/CYCCaribbeanCruise2008.pdf

3/9/2008 Westerdam

Croppin Cruise - Scrapbooking

http://www.soccerinsun.com/Travelcenter/groups.htm

8/9/2008 Maadam

Cruise for a Cure - Breast Cancer Research

http://www.soccerinsun.com/Travelcenter/groups.htm

The best way to look this up is to google you sail date. Groups are set up by different companies and they are the only people who can sell the cabins into the group. The cruise line may know of some groups (big ones), but the best way is to google it.

The best way to look this up is to google you sail date. Groups are set up by different companies and they are the only people who can sell the cabins into the group. The cruise line may know of some groups (big ones), but the best way is to google it.
MANY groups can not be detected with Google. The best and easiest way is to check the list that richwmn is maintaining for us, as mentioned in post #2 of this thread: http://www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php