Afternoon tea on board?

I cruised for the first time on Princess last year and really loved my afternoon tea in the main dining rooms. Does RC have this? I tried searching the boards but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance...

No they don't. It is one area where I give points to Princess over RCI. They do offer some scrumptious desserts in the Windjammer at 4pm (try the warm scones with whipped cream and strawberries).

At the risk of sounding like an outtake from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.........I am really bummed out by that news. :(

I will have to find a place while we are docked in Bermuda, then!

Thank you for the info.

I agree. I used to love coming down to the dining room on the Crown with my book and having a few finger sandwiches and mini pastries...and some fantastic tea. It was a great way to round out the afternoon before going back to the room for a quick nap and shower. I felt very luxurious.

I could be wrong, but at the time they offer those afternoon snacks in front of the Windjammer, I would assume (though we personally haven't experienced it) they offer hot water and have some tea bags out. If not, you can always order your own afternoon tea from Room service.

I am so glad that you created this thread, and I DO hope that Royal Caribbean is reading this.

We have been cruising for over 26 years and so many of the lines offered formal afternoon tea, served by waiters with white gloves, in one of the lounges.

There was always a string quartet or violinist playing soft music. Shorts were not allowed in keeping with the semi-formal atmosphere.

I do miss the grandeur of formal tea on RCI.

I am so glad that you created this thread, and I DO hope that Royal Caribbean is reading this.

We have been cruising for over 26 years and so many of the lines offered formal afternoon tea, served by waiters with white gloves, in one of the lounges.

There was always a string quartet or violinist playing soft music. Shorts were not allowed in keeping with the semi-formal atmosphere.

I do miss the grandeur of formal tea on RCI.

While I agree that a formal afternoon tea would be a pleasant addition to the RCI cruise experience, the cynic in me quakes at the thought of all the complaints from folks who don't understand why they shouldn't be able to partake of it in shorts and tank tops- after all they paid for their vacation.:rolleyes: LOL

Thanks for starting this thread. I agree. RCCL needs to offer a nice afternoon tea. How hard can it be? And, it's such a lovely way to while a way an hour. We thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea on Celebrity.

And by the way -- hot water and some teabags do not an afternoon tea make!

We're platinum on RCCL, but I'm seriously considering Princess! Afternoon tea is one reason.

Thanks for starting this thread. I agree. RCCL needs to offer a nice afternoon tea. How hard can it be? And, it's such a lovely way to while a way an hour. We thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea on Celebrity.

And by the way -- hot water and some teabags do not an afternoon tea make!

We're platinum on RCCL, but I'm seriously considering Princess! Afternoon tea is one reason.

You are absolutely right. I can throw a teabag in some water at home. It's the whole atmosphere that makes it afternoon tea. We had a wonderful afternoon tea experience on the old Carnival Fantasy out of NOLA last month. Not many people showed up...all the well. It was in the bar they use for their piano bar - Cleopatra's. There was nice softly played piano music. We had tasty little sandwiches and pastries and an assortment of teas that were served by a very friendly and polite waiter. My sister and I took a CC friend's daughter. The 3 of us had fun. I hope the little 11 year old girl remembers the experience. She's at that borderline age where sometimes you remember, sometimes not. I'll remember it though. And I have pictures to remind me of this nice time. RCI should definitely make it a part of the cruise experience.

While I agree that a formal afternoon tea would be a pleasant addition to the RCI cruise experience, the cynic in me quakes at the thought of all the complaints from folks who don't understand why they shouldn't be able to partake of it in shorts and tank tops- after all they paid for their vacation.:rolleyes: LOL

Yes, you do have a point there. ;)

Wow, I am really glad that I am not the only person who loved this time of my cruise!

I don't expect those who partake to doll up excessively for a 3-4pmish snack...but I don't expect bathing suits/coverups either. There was something so very posh about sitting at my table for two by myself, by the window, with a cup of perfectly steeped tea and some dainty finger sandwiches and sweets. I would sit there for an hour just about every day with my book, in the air conditioning. So peaceful. I will always remember that about my cruise.

Too bad. I agree with above post that a teabag and water is not the same. There was something inexplicably elegant about a served tea with the trimmings...it makes you feel a little bit like a princess (no pun intended...). Hopefully I will catch one in Bermuda.

Yes I agree! My most memorable afternoon teas were during a cruise of the Greek Islands, where I met other ladies from different countries in that area of the world.

By the end of the cruise I had acquired a new friend from Russia and one from Italy.

The pastries were Italian and French. We had tiny sandwiches, caviar, cheeses and fruits, including mango & papaya. The wooden case, from which the tea was chosen, was lined in navy satin.

Royal Caribbean is one of the few where this wasn't offered, but we're still loyal and have enjoyed many cruises with them.

I just wish they'd take a hint from some of us who feel that there's something lacking. :(

I agree - and I'm not even a big tea drinker, but we've really enjoyed our afternoon teas on Carnival. As a preteen, my daughter enjoyed the little snacks, variety of teas and the classical pianist. I enjoyed sharing the tea experience with her too. Anyone from RCL paying attention?

I have never even thought of afternoon tea on a ship. And I should have, I watched Titanic! :p

Personally I love doing the High Tea thing. I think it would be a wonderful idea for RCCL to start doing this.

And I never knew RCCL offers afternoon snacks at 4 pm in the windjammer??

Warm scones? I am so there. I am usually eating the candy bars in our mini bar around that time. :D

I don't know if this is the same experience as the afternoon tea you are referring to, but couldn't you just go the Promenade Cafe? They always have a wide variety of teas, finger sandwiches, and cookies. I absolutely love tea, and drink about 3 cups a day, so I love the convenience of Promenade Cafe! :)

Hello fellow tea drinkers,

It really is fabulous that there are so many others who enjoy afternoon tea! My sister and I have taken tea with several different groups of friends and relatives at home in NJ, and I'd love to see it offered onboard the Empress this October. I imagine this is the type of thing you could mention in a pre-departure survey, isn't it?

How exciting, though, about the warm scones! We may have to try and create our own proper tea amongst the t-shirts and flip flops in the Windjammer some afternoon. :)

Keep sipping and smiling,

Karen

I don't know if this is the same experience as the afternoon tea you are referring to, but couldn't you just go the Promenade Cafe? They always have a wide variety of teas, finger sandwiches, and cookies. I absolutely love tea, and drink about 3 cups a day, so I love the convenience of Promenade Cafe! :)

It isn't the same experience. The afternoon tea that people are looking for, and is offered on some other lines, is a more formal tea, usually held in one of the dining rooms, where tea is served in china cups and little finger sandwiches and small desserts are served, frequently by white-gloved servers. If you merely want a cup of tea and a light snack, you can get that in the Windjammer, the Promenade Cafe or Cafe Lattetudes but it is a much different experience. :) It is certainly something that those who enjoy it, might consider adding to their comment cards at the conclusion of their cruise.

It isn't the same experience. The afternoon tea that people are looking for, and is offered on some other lines, is a more formal tea, usually held in one of the dining rooms, where tea is served in china cups and little finger sandwiches and small desserts are served, frequently by white-gloved servers. If you merely want a cup of tea and a light snack, you can get that in the Windjammer, the Promenade Cafe or Cafe Lattetudes but it is a much different experience. :) It is certainly something that those who enjoy it, might consider adding to their comment cards at the conclusion of their cruise.

I guess I'm not a very refined tea drinker! LOL...:eek:

melsdt, You could become one in a flash.. It's fun!

I belong to the Red Hat Society and we do Afternoon Teas plus High Teas. Once you tried it, I think you would enjoy it!

High Tea= High, regular tables at dinnertime, where meats are included in a light meal, plus pastries or pies, and tea are served.

Afternoon Tea= Low tables, (like a coffee table) filled with pastries, dainty sandwiches, and tea.

The afternoon tea is more formal and is served mid-afternoon.

It's the ambiance, the conversations, and the quiet music that we enjoy. Dressing up for tea is part of the fun. You don't need to REALLY dress up...slacks are always fine!! :)

Let's hope they bring back afternoon tea aboard all ships!

Archived