Ryndam May 13-20, 2007. Part 2 - ports

x lindsay x

Ports- We experienced glorious weather so that I can not complain about. In the afternoon in Ketchikan it was so warm I enjoyed the Lido pool with the dome cracked open.

Since my room was on the Main Deck and that’s where they generally had the gangway set up in port that people would be getting off the ship up to a half hour before the official announcement was made that the ship had been cleared, and no these were not all people on HAL shore excursions.

Ketchikan-Booked a private float plane to Misty Fjords in the morning. Well worth the money as it was a phenomenal experience. Afterwards we took the $1 city bus to Totem Bight State Park which is about a 30 minute ride outside of the city center, cabs were trying to charge $50-75 for the same trip. The bus comes hourly and we had a delightful 80 year old driver who was pleased to give us a guided commentary during the trip. And for those who are wondering that’s the same bus that goes to Wal Mart:eek: . Also, just on the other side of the tunnel there is a great burger place called Burger Queen, if you’re hungry and don’t want to get back on the ship go there.

Juneau- We had a little light rain for about 3 hours in the morning and that was it. We took the $25 sightseeing trip that was offered at the pier. It was a nice way to see a lot of Juneau but if you want to spend more than 45 minutes at Mendenhall Glacier just take the city bus. We saw bears while we were at the glacier. If you want a decent bar I can suggest the Alaska Hotel bar, a good mix of locals with a few tourists here or there and it wasn’t that smokey as most of the other bars were. Steve the young man working there was nice enough to turn the Sabres v. Senators game on for us. According to my dad they had great beer on tap, I stuck with homemade ginger ale. There is also a nice little Mexican restaurant owned and operated by locals a few doors down which is a nice for another off the ship snack.

Skagway- Took the White Pass Railroad and Bike excursion from HAL. It was a pricey trip but our two guides really made it worthwhile. We rode up the mountain with one of the guides who was nice enough to give us fun facts while we were heading up. When we reached to top we got picked up in a van and brought us to a flat spot on the side of the road to get geared up. They had wind breakers and pants, gloves, helmets, and water. I passed on the extra wind gear but boy was it ever windy, who knew you’d have to peddle so much going downhill?

Glacier Bay- We had *perfect* weather, it was warm, sunny and clear. Saw some really great calving. Wish it would’ve been September so we could get closer to John Hopkins glacier. I guess I have a reason to return...

Archived