Saphire Princess, January 30, 2005

levart57

Hello -

We are so looking forward to this cruise! I posted a roll call this summer while we were still living in Alabama. That thread seems to be missing, I'm glad to find this one. We are living in Guam now and just starting to feel at home here.

We have already paid for our night stay in Auckland and two nights in Sydney. What I still need to reserve is one night in Cairns. Any suggestions? We want it close to the Airport as it is just to rest up inbetween flights (not alot of choices flying from Guam).

My nearly eight year old son is looking forward to shuffle board and miniature golf the most while my five year old daughter is looking forward to the kid's club. I can't wait to read some reports on those that sail this route first.

Yes, we move about every two years. We enjoy it but it is alot of work. We fell in love with cruising this past year on our first cruise (Disney) to celebrate our 10 year ann. Didn't think we would get to cruise again so soon, lucky!! For a mommy, there is no other vacation like a cruise.

Thanks for the link to the other thread, I've been reading/posting on it too :)

Does anyone know if you can buy phone cards in Australia and New Zealand to call the United States? I saw several at BJs. One would cost about 14 cents per minute from Oz and 17 cents from NZ. The card would give about 142 minutes of calling time and was offered at a cost of $20 USD.

That's a very good question. I bought one at Wal-Mart for when we are on the road and the cell phone doesn't work and took it with me to the Caribbean recently. I couldn't use it at any port even though it was clearly indicated that it was good there. Got the fire dept. twice in Martinique!

I would love to be able to call home at least once and would be interested in a card, too. Let me know Margie if you find out, please.

Strawberryblonde- Cairns is not a big city and the airport is extremely close to the centre of town so any hotel in downtown Cairns would be suitable.

Levart- Of course you can purchase phone cards here in Australia. I'm sorry but I don't know the rate is better if you buy from here or the United States but I bought a card recently for AUS$20 and it seems to last forever! (I have relatives in New York)

Estebofar- Your cell phone will work if you have tri-band. Most of the new cell phones have this. (at least here they do)

I also had trouble with phone cards not working in the Caribbean 3 years ago. Very fustrating!!

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip to our lovely country.

Will be my husband and me and my brother and his wife. we are from Silver Spring Md. and my brother is from Alliance Ohio. We spent a month in Australia and NZ two years ago-so have seen much of the land trips. Looking forward to cruising Milford and Doubrful. We were rained out of there last time-it was in October. We are not staying over in either port. Not looking forward to the plane rides, but what can you do? I slept last time-hope I can this time too.

Julia and Bruce

Sounds like we are getting a good group together. After the lifeboat drill sounds good to me, too. Are any of you gettting your visas for Australia from Princess, or your travel agents?

Let's meet on Sun Deck at the Trade Winds Bar on January 30.

I called and got my visa through the airlines.

Margie

I guess there could be quite a line to change $$$. I like to use credit cards when possible but for the small purchases we really need local currency.

I can't wait to see what the first passengers on that itinerary have to say. Hope someone writes at sea.

Most cabs here take credit cards (they may not take Amex or Diners though due to higher fees)- Mastercard, Visa etc ok. A small service fee is charged.

As for exchanging money- when I travel OS (from Australia) I find it much easier to have some local currency with me for the first few days.

There WILL be an ATM at the airport in Tasmania. cheers

Sorry just realised I said airport in Tasmania- I haven't been to the port- but assume it is in Hobart so you won't have a problem

ESTEBOFARR, Thanks for the lead into this thread about the Sapphire (01/30/05).Will there be a meeting place on embarkation? I'm surprised that Princess doesn't have a cruise critic program like Celebrity sponsors.It helps when trying get a group together.If it looks like there'll be a group getting together it may be helpfull to get name stickers that will help put the names with the faces,etc.I'm not real knowledgeable about these boards but is there anyway to get an exclusive area on this site?Anyone that has some hints about this concept your input would be helpful.

We always use the airport ATM's, but what about Australia? Our first stop is Tasmania and I hope that they have one at the port.

You can change money in Auckland. Tasmania uses the same currency as Australia.

Chione, you're welcome. Does your screen name stand for One from Chicago?Just guessing.

My name is Janis and my husband is Joe. We will be traveling with our friends Sandy and Steve all from the west coast of Florida. I agree that Celebrity really does it right for Cruise Critic groups. But, we can still all meet and get to know one another. My last cruise the ones arriving early met on land for dinner one night before the cruise and really got to know one another. Another couple posted pictures so we could recognize at least one couple ahead of time.

At the moment the Australian dollar/US dollar is fairly volatile but on a weekly basis there would only be a cent or so in it- not enough to make a difference in the short term. I am eagerly watching as I have booked an Alaskan cruise from Australia and have to pay in US dollars, which last week AU was strongest it has been for a few years - I nearly booked but didn't and it has since had a bit of a slide- still , got another few months. Sue

Archived