Key West with Kids...?

littlestars

Hi there!

We are Cruising but not stopping at Key West ~ however we are hoping to go to the Keys for 3 days after we get off the ship...

We will be based at Islamorada and want to explore all around... definately coming down to Key West...

What can you recommend with young kids? (4&7)

I've been to KW 5 times now and to be honest there is not a lot to do for young children. There are ECO Tours that give you a boat ride, snorkeling,and kayaking. That was alot of fun. The Pirate Musesm is OK, Jet Skiing around the island. the thing is all these thing can be expensive. If your on a budget then the best thing is to get to Mallory Sq. about an hour before sunset. The show are all free and are fun to watch. You may want to do a search for KW and you will see a list of activites. If you arrive on a Friday go to TurtleKrawls The have Turtle races that are a great for the whole family check out there web site. Dave

• 5 weeks later...
Hi there!

We are Cruising but not stopping at Key West ~ however we are hoping to go to the Keys for 3 days after we get off the ship...

We will be based at Islamorada and want to explore all around... definately coming down to Key West...

They may like the Key West Aquarium. It is older and not as spectacular as all of these new big city aquariums, but pretty hands on and educational for kids. Part of it is open air. My kids enjoyed it. We also went to the Ship. Also, we took the kids to the shipwreck museum. They enjoyed it and they have an observation tower to climb up and see all of Key West.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I went to Key West in May 2006, and we have two boys ages 5 & 2. We both were glad that our kids weren't with us for many reasons, and one of those reasons were that we didn't have to explain to them all the interesting sights like the cross-dressed man riding his bicycle, and the "adult toy stores" located in a few places, and why the two men were holding hands! There's nothing much in Key West for the kids. The beach near the southernmost point has a playground, and biking on the island is fun, but I have nothing solid to recommend for my kids or anyone else's kids!

Theater of the Sea is in Islamorada, that is a great place for kids (and adults-- I had a good time!). General admission includes all dolphin/sea lion shows and a ride on a glass bottom boat. For extra you can swim with dolphins, sea lions, or rays.

In Key Largo (real close to Islamorada) is John Pennecamp park. You guys can snorkle and see the "Christ of the Deep".

• 3 weeks later...
Theater of the Sea is in Islamorada, that is a great place for kids (and adults-- I had a good time!). General admission includes all dolphin/sea lion shows and a ride on a glass bottom boat. For extra you can swim with dolphins, sea lions, or rays.

In Key Largo (real close to Islamorada) is John Pennecamp park. You guys can snorkle and see the "Christ of the Deep".

How close is Key Largo to Key West. We will be there with our children in December and are also concerened with what to do with them.

The Shipwreck Museum, the aquarium, a day trip to Fort Jefferson (old military fort where Dr. Mudd was imprisoned after setting John Wilkes Booth's broken leg). The kids will also like the feral chickens that wander all over downtown Key West.

Butterfly Conservatory. Hemingway House if they like cats. Definitely sunset festival at Mallory Square. The "Ghost Tour" at night. Aquarium. Shipwreck Historeum. Pirate Museum. Jet Ski Tours. Glass Bottom Boat. Tall Ship Sailing trips. Ripleys Believe it or not Museum. Fory Zachery Taylor beach.

In Islamorada take them to Robbies Marina to feed the tarpon!:)

Hi there!

This is a link

http://www.floridakeysbest.com/florida_keys/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived